Who is obsessive about their coffee??

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
Boopbohead

Re: Who is obsessive about their coffee??

Post by Boopbohead » 26 Nov 2017, 21:58

Like the Beastie Boys say "I like my sugar with coffee and cream". ☕️
Kingy

lostdoggy

Post by lostdoggy » 27 Nov 2017, 06:52

Boopbohead wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 21:58
Like the Beastie Boys say "I like my sugar with coffee and cream". ☕️
Like the Guess Who say, "no sugar tonight in my coffee, no sugar tonight in my tea"
:)

I had a sunbeam espresso machine that I used till it died. Apparently a common problem. They gave us a credit but said they were out of stock of those.

Now I just use a couple of stove top. Bialetti's at home and you definitely go through less coffee.
I'm a barista, so get my espresso fix at work.

I just drove past a roadside stall the other day (Broken Head Rd Coffee stall) that has daily roasted local, organic beans as well as some other organic produce. Just leave the money in the box. I think they are one of the suppliers to Byron Bay Coffee Co.

That's where I'll buy my coffee from now on.

irvinz

Post by irvinz » 27 Nov 2017, 09:06

Rocksolid wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 15:46
irvinz wrote:
26 Nov 2017, 14:39
I used to use a stove pot for a couple of years, with the very “therapeutic” hand grinder.

Since moving to melbourne I use a manual espresso machine plus stand along grinder.

Once you start, you can’t turn back.

My wife and I go through 300grams a week. Once a day for her, and the rest would be my consumption. Find it hard to get coffee elsewhere now, which is probably more funds into the bass fund.
Couldn't agree more. Once you have refined what you like, it is hard to go elsewhere.

We are at the point where we have purchased takeaway cups, so we can make our own as we walk out the door.

Grab a glass keep cup each. ;) a bit of a hassle to wash it daily, but hey, we all need to do the dishes at some point!

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 27 Nov 2017, 09:16

irvinz wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 09:06
Rocksolid wrote:
irvinz wrote:
I used to use a stove pot for a couple of years, with the very “therapeutic” hand grinder.

Since moving to melbourne I use a manual espresso machine plus stand along grinder.

My wife and I go through 300grams a week. Once a day for her, and the rest would be my consumption. Find it hard to get coffee elsewhere now, which is probably more funds into the bass fund.
Couldn't agree more. Once you have refined what you like, it is hard to go elsewhere.

We are at the point where we have purchased takeaway cups, so we can make our own as we walk out the door.

Grab a glass keep cup each. ;) a bit of a hassle to wash it daily, but hey, we all need to do the dishes at some point!
+1 on this, so much better out of glass than plastic keep cups, and the cork ring keeps it easy to handle. Just don't drop it I did onto carpet, being lime glass it shattered into 100 safe to sweep up pieces. Lucky I can go past the factory in Fitzroy and pick up any replacement parts. Don't bother with the extra insulated plastic outer, it works, but makes it bulky, better to preheat the glass.
'65 Fender Mustang, '15 Narcdor Precision, '64 Framus Star Bass, Stingray Classic, '14 Streamer NT1
Mesa Walkbout, MarkBass Classic 300, Fender Bassman Neo 115

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 27 Nov 2017, 12:18

irvinz wrote:
27 Nov 2017, 09:06
Rocksolid wrote:
irvinz wrote:

A glass cup with a lid? Is there such a thing?
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

lostdoggy

Post by lostdoggy » 27 Nov 2017, 12:23

Yeh, glass and ceramic keep cups are widely available.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 27 Nov 2017, 12:45

The lid is still plastic but much firmer than the older all plastic keepcups. I take the lid off to drink, more for transporting without spilling IMO.
'65 Fender Mustang, '15 Narcdor Precision, '64 Framus Star Bass, Stingray Classic, '14 Streamer NT1

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 01 Dec 2017, 07:06

My set up after everything arrived. I sold the commercial grinder yesterday. Too big, too messy, too noisy for home.

Still getting used to it but it's a wild machine. Steam is unbelievable!

Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

cackland

Post by cackland » 01 Dec 2017, 10:32

Great Setup - I'm moderately obsessive; I work from home a lot so have my own machine and grinder & has let to a preference for stronger than most commercial shops make. Beans are from SAZON in Mt Barker.
For takeaway - If I know the store makes great coffee I always take the lid off for the first few sips to get the aroma etc. Wife thinks I'm weird but keep the lid on if the coffee's not great.
Yet to find a great coffee in Sydney (Mac Park or City) - Melbourne has it all over them in those stakes!
MTD 535, Brubaker KXB Extreme 5, Lakland 5594, Sadowsky Metro MS5, Stingray 5, Yamaha TRB6P (For Sale), West Fretless 5, Fender RW J, NS WAV4
Bergantino B|Amp, Epifani UL502C,
Bergantino AE212, AE112

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 01 Dec 2017, 12:55

Rocksolid wrote:
01 Dec 2017, 07:06
My set up after everything arrived. I sold the commercial grinder yesterday. Too big, too messy, too noisy for home.

Still getting used to it but it's a wild machine. Steam is unbelievable!

nice setup !

a long flat white, no sugar, please (coz I'm sweet enough as it is) :rolf:
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

CyberPunkie

Post by CyberPunkie » 11 Dec 2017, 15:07

After living in Italy lately, all I need for coffee is shown below:

...cause I learnt machines or expensive stuff will not get me any closer to the flavor you get in Italy from a simple pot boiling water in it...
Yamaha BB424x / Hohner PJ Professional / Roland GR77 + WJones interface 4 Boss GR55 // Boss GT-10B / Boss GR55 / Roland GR77B + VB-99 / Ampeg SVT410HE / SVT15E

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 11 Dec 2017, 15:53

The giving up tactic, well that's one way to do it. Instant is actually not as bad as a bad barista believe it or not, I got desperate at the in-laws place a while back.

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 11 Dec 2017, 16:35

I am not as obsessive as some of you, but am still fairly picky. At home I have a cheap manual Sunbeam machine and a whizzy blade grinder. I always grind my beans fresh as I find on my setup this is the largest factor in the espresso quality. I struggle to get the right extraction on the espresso shot, always too quick. I find with this setup I can make a coffee better than 90% of coffee shops but not as good as properly made coffee shop coffee.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 11 Dec 2017, 17:36

For all this fussiness around whether or not the beans are ground moments before brewing, I can't taste the difference.

However, I'm extremely fussy about the temperature of the milk. None of this vague "judge it with your finger tips" baloney! Thermometer every time for me. And even though most coffee shops serve it up neither hot nor cold, I'm not a fan of this lukewarm-in-case-we-get-sued-for-being-too-hot thing which has become the norm. Most coffee shops make it to 60 degrees. To me that starts off warm and ends up effing cold by the time you get to the bottom, unless you skoll it. Give me 70 degrees every time. Burns the lips a little at the start, but I can take my time sipping away and it's still nice and warm when I finish.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

packrat

Post by packrat » 11 Dec 2017, 17:54

I care about coffee but mostly not about milk. Nice coffee over cold milk with ice is great. Faffing about with steaming seems a poor return on effort.