Bathurst - the good, the bad and the ugly

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
ozrider

Bathurst - the good, the bad and the ugly

Post by ozrider » 15 Nov 2017, 10:13

Hi folks,

Anyone have any experience living in Bathurst? What's the music scene like in that region?

Also if anyone has experience living as a family there?

:popcorn:

aphekgreg

Re: Bathurst - the good, the bad and they ugly

Post by aphekgreg » 15 Nov 2017, 10:49

Jeremy (NotTheFish) lives there.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 15 Nov 2017, 10:59

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 15 Nov 2017, 11:32

leave town early October :) rent your house out

to ME! so I can watch the race live before I die hehe
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 15 Nov 2017, 11:41

Lovely town to visit, but I haven’t lived there sorry. It does get a bit cold in winter just in case that’s a thing.
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 15 Nov 2017, 11:51

Aussie Mark wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 10:59
haha, well, its not a done deal just yet ... but a move is on the cards at some point soon

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 15 Nov 2017, 11:53

RedVee wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 11:41
Lovely town to visit, but I haven’t lived there sorry. It does get a bit cold in winter just in case that’s a thing.
Yeah, that is what people say. I wonder what its like living there though long term. Sounds like October is a good time to head out of town :lol:

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 15 Nov 2017, 11:55

aphekgreg wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 10:49
Jeremy (NotTheFish) lives there.
Thanks Greg, I will message him if he doesn't show up soon :thumbup:

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 15 Nov 2017, 12:30

So I am the ambassador of Bathurst eh ?
I am just a single guy who likes to try and live under a rock so take my comments as such. Have you lived in a regional town anywhere with a population of around 40k ? I figure there are similarities between all of them. They tend to rather parochial. If you have a young family and take the young ones to sport on weekends then you will fit in faster than a single guy on his own. As for safety I think it is pretty good. I don't go wandering around much of a night time but I have never had any issues when I have. There are some crappy areas to live. Kelso is a suburb just out of town which is extremely variable. Some nice houses and streets and some housing commission streets (IE Bannerman St) I don't even like to drive through. it is pretty obvious what is good and bad though. More good than bad for sure. It is very cold in winter. This year we had a number of minus 8 mornings that knocked my garden to buggery. It doesn't rain here much anymore. We at around 270mm for the year. We have a decent dam though. The race in Oct doesn't really bother the locals too much. These days the guys that go there have all these new fangled ekis from BCF that run for days and they load up and don't really venture into town as much as they used to except to get their 1 case of beer for the day (the enforced limit). The helicopters used to run back and forth during the days of the race but they now have a helipad close by. So you hear the roar of engines but nothing too bad. As for music scene. If you want to play in an originals band it is like good luck with that. If covers is your thing then you should be able to fit in somewhere. BTW - I am looking to move out. Winter is a real bitch here..

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 15 Nov 2017, 12:38

NotTheFish wrote:
15 Nov 2017, 12:30
So I am the ambassador of Bathurst eh ?
I am just a single guy who likes to try and live under a rock so take my comments as such. Have you lived in a regional town anywhere with a population of around 40k ? I figure there are similarities between all of them. They tend to rather parochial. If you have a young family and take the young ones to sport on weekends then you will fit in faster than a single guy on his own. As for safety I think it is pretty good. I don't go wandering around much of a night time but I have never had any issues when I have. There are some crappy areas to live. Kelso is a suburb just out of town which is extremely variable. Some nice houses and streets and some housing commission streets (IE Bannerman St) I don't even like to drive through. it is pretty obvious what is good and bad though. More good than bad for sure. It is very cold in winter. This year we had a number of minus 8 mornings that knocked my garden to buggery. It doesn't rain here much anymore. We at around 270mm for the year. We have a decent dam though. The race in Oct doesn't really bother the locals too much. These days the guys that go there have all these new fangled ekis from BCF that run for days and they load up and don't really venture into town as much as they used to except to get their 1 case of beer for the day (the enforced limit). The helicopters used to run back and forth during the days of the race but they now have a helipad close by. So you hear the roar of engines but nothing too bad. As for music scene. If you want to play in an originals band it is like good luck with that. If covers is your thing then you should be able to fit in somewhere. BTW - I am looking to move out. Winter is a real bitch here..
Thanks Mr Ambassador... that it is helpful info :thumbup:

how long to get to Penrith from Bathurst? is it a solid 2 hrs like google tells me?

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 15 Nov 2017, 12:40

I was in a band that make the trek to Bathurst from Sydney twice a year to play at the Uni. They were great gigs. In the early years we would hit the town afterwards looking for some sort of live entertainment. It was pretty much pub-rock cover bands with great names like "Soggy Mattress" and "Screeching Tyres", so in later years we didn't bother :) That was a few years ago now so it may have changed.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 15 Nov 2017, 15:34

Yep.. 2 Hours to Penrith is about right.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 15 Nov 2017, 15:51

And yes, it gets cold - especially in winter when loading out at 1.00am after a gig

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 15 Nov 2017, 17:25

I'm playing in Bathurst on Saturday, and have done many times over the past few years. Visiting for a gig is surely no guide for what it's like to live there, but I really like the place.

Loading out in the cold seems no big deal to me, particularly since our regular trip includes Canberra the preceding night. Or compared to loading out at Katoomba when it's actually snowing. Of course living with the cold is a whole different thing.

Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

BassLine

Re: Bathurst - the good, the bad and the ugly

Post by BassLine » 16 Nov 2017, 06:50

Winter is tolerable in a house with central heating and good insulation.

Find a way to connect with other people. New friends make all the difference when relocating. Sport and beer are by far the easiest way to fit in.

Learn to cook - food choices are limited.

Buy a car thats suited to long journeys and rough roads. My niece & her hubby are near Dubbo and they love their new Subaru Outback for long trips and country roads.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer