Re: Cricket 2017/2018

Post by slave » 01 Jan 2018, 15:30

Petebass wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 13:10
veebass wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 11:29
BazzBass wrote:
29 Dec 2017, 11:17
did anyone read about Mitch Marsh? Because Smiffy called Paine up to the stumps to Mitch because he was bowling slow speeds, Mitch got in a huff and texted Smiffy that he doesn't want to bowl anymore in this match. Good, finish this game and pack your bags, you should never have played anyway. Big score last match or not. As a bowler he is useless anyway so how can he be an all-rounder?
Hadn't seen that.
What I did see was Smith dropping Cook with Payne at the stumps. Very costly- probably will cost the game. Commentators making lots of excuses that he was unsighted because the keeper was up at the stumps. I hear Clarke talking and it is all blabla :blah:
Agreed, but since when is 130km too slow? McGrath was 130 and look how many wickets he took.

Keeping at the stumps for a fast medium bowler is not easy! Gilly was magnificent at it. Most humans would struggle.
130km's isn't slow. But why on earth would any captain tell the keeper to get up to the stumps for Cook, in a test?
Cook bats deep in his crease the majority of the time, you're never going to stump him, so for me this was a bad captains' call in the first place, you're simply making a catch behind the stumps for a medium-fast bowler more unlikely, no wonder Marsh is asking why.
I don't think M.Marsh is useless as a bowler. He would've had Cook if it wasn't grassed. Bird didn't even look like getting wickets for me, and he wasn't bowling faster than Marsh either.

Agar in the squad?
I'm assuming Starc comes back, Cummins or Hazlewood gets a rest, Bird dropped. I doubt they'll make any big changes, even though a few of the batsmen have been underperforming.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 01 Jan 2018, 21:10

Went to the Big Bash game tonight at Spotless, and loved it when they played "Hot Potato" by The Wiggles over the stadium PA after a Hurricanes player dropped a sitter.

Also, I continue to be very impressed with Spotless as a sporting venue - the variety and quality of food stalls is awesome - gozleme, gourmet burgers, kebabs - and the service is excellent. The difference being that each food outlet is leased individually, whereas at the SCG and ANZ one company runs every food outlet, so all you get is the same old stuff.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 05 Jan 2018, 11:15

It's a national tragedy

Bob Hawke couldn't skol a small glass of beer today, took two goes

I think he's on his last legs
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

veebass

Post by veebass » 05 Jan 2018, 12:13

Bancroft again. Needs to do some work on his technique.
Perhaps he needs to train "smarter". Oh, that's right he is in the team.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

veebass

Post by veebass » 05 Jan 2018, 13:18

BazzBass wrote:
05 Jan 2018, 11:15
It's a national tragedy

Bob Hawke couldn't skol a small glass of beer today, took two goes

I think he's on his last legs
He was just stopping for a little chat.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 05 Jan 2018, 15:18

Went to the test yesterday and have never seen so many Poms in the one place (I haven't been the the UK at all). They're not very patriotic though, other than the hard core Barmy Army - most of them were dressed as if they were going to the supermarket. Australians are much more supportive of their sporting teams when it comes to wearing team colours and the like. Had great seats immediately behind the bowler (first row in the upper deck just above the sight screen) so was pleased that the initial time lost due to rain was mostly made up by extending the final session. And unlike the many people who left after 5pm, was worth staying right to the end for the new ball action.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 07 Jan 2018, 12:25

All hail the Marshs

I TOLD you all that they deserved their recall, didn't I ?

as Fonzie says, I was w.....w......w

I was w......w........w.........wrong :0

happy to be proved wrong :)

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 07 Jan 2018, 13:54

BazzBass wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 12:25
All hail the Marshs

I TOLD you all that they deserved their recall, didn't I ?

as Fonzie says, I was w.....w......w

I was w......w........w.........wrong :0

happy to be proved wrong :)
Yeah but hang on a sec .... Whilst I'm happy to see Australians making runs, I can't help but wonder how many other batsmen have come and gone over the years who might eventually have come good if they were given as many chances as Shaun Marsh. I reckon my sister would eventually hit runs at test level given enough chances, and she hates cricket! The preferential treatment he's received because of his dad is actually quite disgusting.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 08 Jan 2018, 11:29

Ferguson, picked for one test in Tassie when they ALL collapsed all out for under 100.

He got dropped like it was all his fault. If he was good enough to be picked, why was he only given ONE GAME. That's it, career over. ONE FRIGGIN GAME

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 08 Jan 2018, 13:38

Moving along, with the tour to South Africa next on the agenda - does Bancroft still make the squad? If not, who opens - S. Marsh, or Renshaw? If Marsh opens, who bats at #5 - Hanscomb, or someone new like Jake Lehmann?

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 08 Jan 2018, 15:49

Aussie Mark wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 13:38
Moving along, with the tour to South Africa next on the agenda - does Bancroft still make the squad? If not, who opens - S. Marsh, or Renshaw? If Marsh opens, who bats at #5 - Hanscomb, or someone new like Jake Lehmann?
Winning sides usually stick with a struggling player. The Poms have clearly found a weakness, so Bancroft needs to get into the nets and have people throw down or bowl at this weakness over and over and over again until he figures out how to deal with balls in that area. It amazes me that players don't always do this. Or they wait until after a series it's completed to do anything about it. It should be automatic, the first point of call at the next net session when someone keeps getting out to the same delivery.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

veebass

Post by veebass » 08 Jan 2018, 19:43

^ Bancroft needs to do lots of work. If he plays SA without his technique sorted, it won't be pretty.
Hanscomb got dropped because he looked bad as well. Similarly, he will be a mess if his technique isn't sorted.

slave

Post by slave » 09 Jan 2018, 01:43

Petebass wrote:
07 Jan 2018, 13:54
...... if they were given as many chances as Shaun Marsh. The preferential treatment he's received because of his dad is actually quite disgusting.
He's been dropped fewer times than you think, over the years he's been out of the team mostly due to injury.
If you want to talk about preferential treatment, please bear in mind that NSW/Vic tends to be first in line for that....
BazzBass wrote:
08 Jan 2018, 11:29
Ferguson .... got dropped.... If he was good enough to be picked, why was he only given ONE GAME.
Couldn't agree with you more. He should be given another go.
Remember when Bancroft was given the same shitty treatment? Picked for a tour, tour cancelled, didn't even get to play in a game and dropped.

This time around for Bancroft I think he's going to find the knives are out for him immediately if he doesn't find a way to make runs consistently. The only spots in the team up for grabs right now are in the batting - I can't see the bowling being changed unless someone gets injured, no matter how many wickets they get.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 09 Jan 2018, 12:17

http://www.theroar.com.au/2018/01/08/li ... shes-test/

Humorous Ashes review. I particularly like the Mason Crane assessment, and the Who wants to be a millionaire bit......

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 09 Jan 2018, 14:06

Petebass wrote:
09 Jan 2018, 12:17
http://www.theroar.com.au/2018/01/08/li ... shes-test/

Humorous Ashes review. I particularly like the Mason Crane assessment, and the Who wants to be a millionaire bit......
Mason Crane.....
"Crane had won the hearts of Australian fans throughout the innings with his wonderful mystery ball – the one where he doesn’t let go of it. Over and over, he displayed this subtle variation. Very impressive to see a young leggie come up with something so fresh.

He also managed, of course, to have his first wicket overturned due to a no ball, as England tradition demands.

But as Australia’s total surged into the 600s, many began to suspect Crane had the right idea all along with the not-letting-the-ball-go thing. After all, they can’t score runs off deliveries you don’t bowl."
:rolf:
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer