Cricket 2017/2018

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
Aussie Mark

Re: Cricket 2017/2018

Post by Aussie Mark » 18 Oct 2017, 09:52

Petebass wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 22:50
I'm having no luck whatsoever convincing the wife that we need a TV in our shop.
Immediate small business tax deduction. TV in the shop with Fox Sports on would bring a flood of customers in I reckon

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 18 Oct 2017, 10:59

Aussie Mark wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 09:50
Petebass wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 08:05
FWIW, Chris Rogers opened the batting for Australia, and he is colour blind.
Yes, and Garry Ballance for England. Both struggled with the pink ball the most from what I've read.
Correct. Rodgers was pretty open about that during the initial planning phase of the night tests. He was getting old anyway, but he retired as soon as the night tests were confirmed.

The irony is that everyone seems to struggle with the pink ball. Not because of the colour, but because of the way it behaves, esp at dusk. More development required!
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

veebass

Post by veebass » 18 Oct 2017, 12:07

Aussie Mark wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 09:52
Petebass wrote:
17 Oct 2017, 22:50
I'm having no luck whatsoever convincing the wife that we need a TV in our shop.
Immediate small business tax deduction. TV in the shop with Fox Sports on would bring a flood of customers in I reckon
Great thinking! I would certainly flood in, although we don't talk about floods at this time.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 18 Oct 2017, 12:46

veebass wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 12:07
......although we don't talk about floods at this time.
No, don't! 5 days of virtually Zero revenue so far, and it's still raining :( But that's a whole other thread.

Back to the shop tv. She reckons I won't get any work done if there's a tv showing sports. And you know what, she might be right.

I'll just stick to the cricbuzz app and ABC Radio playing in the back room.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 18 Oct 2017, 13:06

Petebass wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 12:46
She reckons I won't get any work done if there's a tv showing sports.
I've done a few gigs where I managed to watch the footy while playing a set, so I'm sure you can wield the scoop easily enough while the telly is on

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Ox Boris

Post by Ox Boris » 18 Oct 2017, 13:49

I'm new to Cricket, so can ask some spectacularly dim questions of my cricketing mates. Secretly they love the opportunity to show off their vast knowledge which, as you know, for Aussies, is all-encompassing. I still haven't had an answer to this one, though:
We were discussing the pink ball and the sightscreens and "watching the ball come out of the hand" and my question was:
"Can the bowler wear a glove, the same colour as the ball?"
Apparently, no-one's ever asked that of them before and people looked at their feet and shuffled for a bit, before saying,. "How about Warnie, eh?!" and the conversation moved on....

veebass

Post by veebass » 18 Oct 2017, 14:10

Ox Boris wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 13:49
I'm new to Cricket, so can ask some spectacularly dim questions of my cricketing mates. Secretly they love the opportunity to show off their vast knowledge which, as you know, for Aussies, is all-encompassing. I still haven't had an answer to this one, though:
We were discussing the pink ball and the sightscreens and "watching the ball come out of the hand" and my question was:
"Can the bowler wear a glove, the same colour as the ball?"
Apparently, no-one's ever asked that of them before and people looked at their feet and shuffled for a bit, before saying,. "How about Warnie, eh?!" and the conversation moved on....

Law 41 (The fielder)
Protective equipment
No member of the fielding side other than the wicket-keeper shall be permitted to wear gloves or external leg guards. In addition, protection for the hand or fingers may be worn only with the consent of the umpires.

Fielding the ball
A fielder may field the ball with any part of his person but if, while the ball is in play he wilfully fields it otherwise, (a) the ball shall become dead and 5 penalty runs shall be awarded to the batting side. See Law 42.17 (Penalty runs). The ball shall not count as one of the over.
It is not permissible to wear a glove while fielding except for the wicketkeeper. A fielder who does so (including using a hat in his/ her hand to field the ball) concedes 5 runs for each instance.
The bowler would be included as a member of the fielding side.

Also batsmen can ask bowlers to remove wrist bands etc that can distract them. Dean Jones did this on an occasion that he regretted.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 18 Oct 2017, 14:12

no they can't Ox. Or even a wrist band.

I forget the names, I think Dean Jones asked Curtley Ambrose to remove his sweat band from his bowling arm wrist. Curtley got mad and took 7 wickets for next to nothing.

Pete, organise a group of ten blokes , that your wife doesn't know, to come in one day, and get one of them to ask if you have the cricket on tv. when you say no, they all get mad and storm out ! TEN BIG blokes. It's so crazy it just might work.....
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 18 Oct 2017, 14:48

Oh my, that spell of bowling Ambrose produced that day will stay in my mind forever! Absolutely Lethal! And the whole time I was thinking "but Dean Jones had every right to ask him to remove the sweat band". I did it myself as a young player many times, specifically to piss the opposition off. I found it made them play worse ....... Someone forgot to tell Ambrose that :)

veebass

Post by veebass » 18 Oct 2017, 14:54

Petebass wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 14:48
Oh my, that spell of bowling Ambrose produced that day will stay in my mind forever! Absolutely Lethal! And the whole time I was thinking "but Dean Jones had every right to ask him to remove the sweat band". I did it myself as a young player many times, specifically to piss the opposition off. I found it made them play worse ....... Someone forgot to tell Ambrose that :)
I never called the wrist band, but if I was getting quietly sledged by slips or the keeper, I would stand up from my batting stance as a fast bowler got half way to the crease and look straight at the fieldsman. Do it a few times and you will get some short stuff- I was a good hooker and puller. Yes, the stuff that Ambrose unleashed was incredible.

Ox Boris

Post by Ox Boris » 18 Oct 2017, 16:43

Cool! I shall regale them with my newfound knowledge :-)

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 18 Oct 2017, 17:37

when someone drops a catch, yell "get a bag, ya mug !"
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 18 Oct 2017, 20:57

veebass wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 14:54
Petebass wrote:
I never called the wrist band, but if I was getting quietly sledged by slips or the keeper, I would stand up from my batting stance as a fast bowler got half way to the crease and look straight at the fieldsman. Do it a few times and you will get some short stuff- I was a good hooker and puller. Yes, the stuff that Ambrose unleashed was incredible.
Sledging between balls is perfectly fine (within limits). But if fielders are talking as the bowler is running in, that's poor sportsmanship. I wouldn't put up with that either, and neither would an umpire.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 19 Oct 2017, 02:15

Here it is
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

slave

Post by slave » 19 Oct 2017, 02:17

Aussie Mark wrote:
18 Oct 2017, 13:06
I've done a few gigs where I managed to watch the footy while playing a set, so I'm sure you can wield the scoop easily enough while the telly is on
One venue we've played at a few times does the footy on a projector screen (as wide as the stage) behind/above the stage. One night they wanted us to start whilst the footy was still going. I was turning around a fair bit that night....
Petebass wrote:
(banter) I did it myself as a young player many times, specifically to piss the opposition off. I found it made them play worse .......
Yeah I'm guilty of lots of banter in the past - some stick in the mind tho.
One day a diminutive teenage opening batsmen came out to crease (I opened the bowling for my team back then) without gloves or pads. So I immediately asked him if he'd brought a condom etc etc. He hit me for 6 off the first ball, then followed it up with another 6. That shut me up.... He got 50-ish off about 15 balls before we got him out, including an ambitious reverse sweep off a brute-pace Yorker of mine. Freak! I've never seen that before!
After the game he comes up to me and says, "You're the first guy to hit in me a few seasons" (I'd collected him with a bouncer in the ribs, and a back-of-the-hand slower ball to the thigh). It didn't help the beers taste any better... Later we found out he played for the warriors development (youth) squad, and had been told he wasn't allowed to play in our division again. I didn't feel so bad about it after that! :lol: