Wet carpet help

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
sharpman

Wet carpet help

Post by sharpman » 13 Sep 2017, 21:14

Hey guys, so me and my gf rent and this morning when we were out of the house our washing machine inlet hose come off the tap and our house has flooded with like 6 hrs of the tap running. The whole house, about a cm a water when de discovered it. We dont have any insurance, and have been told by real estate that as its OUR hose its our problem. The first carpet cleaner they sent here said its about an $8k job. I was made redundant last year and we are already struggling by week to week in part time employment. So far we have vaccumed 25 buckets of water out of the main living area and will keep doing so all night. Im just wondering if anyone has any info or exp that maybe of use. Thanks
~Labsystems 400b-Labsystems 610HP-EBMM Stingray-Darkglass B7K

narcdor

Re: Wet carpet help

Post by narcdor » 13 Sep 2017, 21:16

A friend had a similar problem, he got all the heaters he owned and put them on full in the room, closed all the doors, the doors bowed in a bit from the heat, but it dried out the floors overnight and the doors went back to normal.

I wouldn't recommend that but it did work...
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz

cleary

Post by cleary » 13 Sep 2017, 21:21

We had a flood situation at work a year ago - got the pros in, they lifted the carpet at one end of the room, and directed some decent size fans to blow under it, and move air around the room. It took a weekend, no warped doors, no smell, everything back to normal
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

Fredbass

Post by Fredbass » 13 Sep 2017, 21:38

It sounds like it is your landlord's responsibility to fix this issue as you are not at fault.

Contact https://www.tuv.org.au/contact/ and seek advice.
Could you please send me some detailed pics?

basshack

Post by basshack » 13 Sep 2017, 21:59

I've seen those carpet blowers at industrial hire places. Suck what you can out of the carpet, lift and dry it then get the carpet secured again. Seen it done a few times too but they didn't close the area up but opened it all up to get the humidity out.
... dial in some "J" to angry it up!

Got gear but little talent!

DoctorJohn

Post by DoctorJohn » 13 Sep 2017, 22:20

Hmm, i thought wet areas (including laundries) have a low point with a drain. I know mine do at my house.

I believe that flood cover should be included in landlord's insurance. I would definitely be seeking some legal advice on this one. Being a landlord, i'd like to see an event like this cleaned up properly. And the real estate agent should be relaying this to the landlord (if they haven't already). Of course, this is all assuming that the place is correctly covered and it's very possible that it isn't, hence the push back.
Basses: Fender Steve Harris P - Warwick Robert Trujillo 4&5 string
Amps: Randall RB200X - Ampeg SVT-CL, SVT-III Pro & SVT-810e - Kustom 1200HD & 410H/215H - Mesa Boogie 1516B
FX: Bass Muff Deluxe - American Sound - Cliff Burton PFW

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 14 Sep 2017, 01:49

the landlord is responsible and should have insurance to cover it. Contact your local tenants/landlords board for further advice. best of luck :)
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

sharpman

Post by sharpman » 14 Sep 2017, 08:09

Thanks guys, so just to clarify-the real estate has told me because it was our washing machine hose that split and came off the tap its our problem. That is, if the whole tap had come off the wall the landlords insurance would have covered the damage, but the tap is fine-it is our washing machines inlet hose that caused the problem. Cheers.

DoctorJohn

Post by DoctorJohn » 14 Sep 2017, 08:15

I understand that position. But I'm not convinced that would stand up in front of a tribunal. Insurance is there to cover this sort of thing happening. And it's not your responsibility to cover the fixtures and fittings that come with the house should an event like this occur. Shit happens and that's why we have insurance.

My thoughts are get advice. The body suggested above is a food idea. Depending on that, go back to the agent and tell them that the landlord is liable or just clean it up as best as you can with your means. End of the day, you may lose your bond.

Edit: I'll reiterate that if that was my property, I'd be willing to lodge a claim on insurance to remediate the damage properly. Given that it was due to the tenant's hose though I would bill the tenant the excess. But that's only if I had insurance which would cover that event
Basses: Fender Steve Harris P - Warwick Robert Trujillo 4&5 string
Amps: Randall RB200X - Ampeg SVT-CL, SVT-III Pro & SVT-810e - Kustom 1200HD & 410H/215H - Mesa Boogie 1516B
FX: Bass Muff Deluxe - American Sound - Cliff Burton PFW

sharpman

Post by sharpman » 14 Sep 2017, 08:32

Thanks DoctorJohn. Yes i did suggest to the agent that we would happily pay excess if it came to that. What worries me is a couple things.

The house has been on the market a long time.
The house has had some electricity shorts and problems since we moved in 8 years ago.
IMO the agent has more then anything been more concerned with taking a lot of photos and sent people here to do reports on the damage, in an effort to build a strong case against us rather then trying to help or fix anything. I just feel like we could be really being set up here. As i said the agents cleaner eho first came here said will be 8k or more. I cant understand how a cm of water could cause this much damage in 5 hrs, and even if carpets had to be replaced there is only 4 rooms with carpet.

sharpman

Post by sharpman » 14 Sep 2017, 08:35

Also should mention we have moved the furniture to dry places and 3 quarters of the affected areas are empty now and we have wet vacced extensively.

sharpman

Post by sharpman » 14 Sep 2017, 09:17

Update guys- just spoke to Tenancy Union and the guts of the issue is we caused the damage so we are liable. Even if owners insurance covered the expenses and repairs, the insurance company would then persue us apparently. In a world of hurt! Im very worried about the first 'professional' who walked through here on behalf of the agent yesterday and qouted a ballpark 8k figure

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 14 Sep 2017, 09:58

$8k? It would be cheaper to get new carpet! A few years ago we did 3 bedrooms for a little over $1k. Yes it was budget carpet but we were selling so it was good enough.

Oh and as a landlord myself, there's no way in hell I'd wear the cost. The place should be returned to me in the same condition as I rented it to you, allowing for normal wear of course. Yes I have insurance, but the insurance company will go after the responsibile party, and that would be the tenants.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

sharpman

Post by sharpman » 14 Sep 2017, 10:07

Ok cheers. So it seems insurance claim has been lodged and insurance company has ordered Steamatic come in and start drying things. All the while the agent has said that they are not sure whether it will be our cost or not. I think they know it will be our cost though. My big worry is that if we have no control of the costs of repairs it could just escalate and be far dearer then recarpeting the whole house. I just got a rough qoute to recarpet and that was 3k

cleary

Post by cleary » 14 Sep 2017, 10:23

Time to get some legal advice.
I'd be potentially getting a couple of quotes of your own too, so you have a figure that you deem reasonable to pay when the insurance company comes knocking...
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW