The Guitar Industry is Dying

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
slowlearner

Re: The Guitar Industry is Dying

Post by slowlearner » 30 Jun 2017, 15:07

aphekgreg wrote:I heard on the radio this week, that people are holding onto their smartphones for much longer than they used to....... an average of 4 years!!
Which is a LOT long than most of you keep a bass before moving it on for something else! :lol:

Seriously though, this article right on the money. :thumbup:

Rock'n'roll is dead. It's past has been one of agitation and rebellion. Now, everything that sounds like rock or even metal is the establishment and mainstream. Teenagers found new ways to drive their parents crazy, ie. youtube and video games. Why do you think hipsters started playing neo-folk on banjos? And of course the uke.
:help

Personally I'm not sad. Guitar has been coming and going in western music for 400 years. I'd like people to rediscover the guitar and re-invent it again. If you want to feel sorry for someone, consider clarinet and tuba players. Those 2 instruments are almost totally dead... I'm hoping the flute follows them soon!
:peep:
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 30 Jun 2017, 16:22

BazzBass wrote:
aphekgreg wrote:And infinitely more than a new smartphone. I heard on the radio this week, that people are holding onto their smartphones for much longer than they used to....... an average of 4 years!!
I'm still on my iPhone 3GS from 2009 hehe
That might be some sort or world record.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 30 Jun 2017, 16:44

aphekgreg wrote:
BazzBass wrote:
aphekgreg wrote:And infinitely more than a new smartphone. I heard on the radio this week, that people are holding onto their smartphones for much longer than they used to....... an average of 4 years!!
I'm still on my iPhone 3GS from 2009 hehe
That might be some sort or world record.
Ok I thought my iphone 4 was old... it's pretty beat to all crap though with the back of it held together with gaffa tape... :lol:

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 30 Jun 2017, 19:29

my 3gs still does what I want it to.

I can't grab new apps though, my os is too old.

But it saved my sanity in 2010 when I had to quit work coz both my parents were in and out of hospital at the same time. That Pokerstars app saved me ! (and bought me a few meals and coffees)
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

harmonyriver

Post by harmonyriver » 18 Aug 2017, 22:09

I just looked at the Ibanez catalog and the model range is amazing. So guitars must be selling ok then?
"Guitar is for the head, drums are for the chest, but bass gets you in the groin."
- Suzi Quatro

slave

Post by slave » 22 Aug 2017, 06:50

tearalong wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 15:38
I suspect it's an aging population thing, the baby boomers already have their 1/2 dozen or more instruments and there aren't as many young guitarists to keep the purchasing levels up
When I got my first gat, I remember talking to everyone about music. Amongst the people I knew, almost everyone played an instrument in somewhere between casual to daily. 20 years later, when I speak to the early 20-somethings now, close to none of them do.

I think this is more to do with the types of music people get into - the younger gen are hittin the doof-doof much more than guitar-centric tunes these days. Diff'rent strokes and all that I guess....

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 22 Aug 2017, 12:06

Well. ... when ya get SUCH a great tone outta the Guitar Hero "instrument" is it surprising ?
:cool:
Mean & Surly