the end of gigging - update!

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
ozrider

the end of gigging - update!

Post by ozrider » 23 Mar 2017, 21:47

Facing the end of the regular gigging dream. My bass playing has been quite intermittent over the years since kids, jobs, moving around and the like. Now heading to noodling on the couch as my only outlet as life just keeps getting busier and not the other way around. Just wondered how anyone has contemplated this or do you just keep hanging on to the idea that you just might gig once again? Still got the amplification gear but they've been sitting quietly in boxes since last year... sigh
Last edited by ozrider on 19 Jun 2017, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.

narcdor

Re: the end of gigging

Post by narcdor » 23 Mar 2017, 21:57

Depends what you want to get out of it. I was playing in a cover band, we played two gigs in two years, I just liked playing with and spending time with the people involved. Other bands if I'm not playing a gig I'm not interested. I knew a guy who was an amazing guitarist but didn't give a crap about playing with other people or in a band or for others, it was just for him. Find something that works for you and that you get enough out of to justify putting the time into and go for it.
Basses: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
Amps: O'Neill B15 copy, Walkabout, Puma 900
Cabs: Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 23 Mar 2017, 22:55

Kids grow up, so be ready for more 'me' time when it comes around again.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

cl8n

Post by cl8n » 23 Mar 2017, 23:03

I stopped playing completely for about 10 years while life, wife and strife (kids) happened (was living overseas btw) ... then started playing again, hooked up with people at work to jam and do the Xmas parties each year and other one off events. Came back home and got the band back together (Blues Brothers style :cool: ) and have been gigging regularly, both covers and originals, ever since ...

... Never say never! :yep
Jazz, T-bird, EB-2, Big Al, Carlo Robelli 8
Warwick LWA1000, Carlsbro, Eden Wt-405, GB Shuttle, Custom 115, GB XB410
Stompable noise makers

onehandclapping

Post by onehandclapping » 23 Mar 2017, 23:11

BassLine wrote:Kids grow up, so be ready for more 'me' time when it comes around again.
68 now been giggin since I was 18,retired from work, kids have gone,lots of me time ,still just enough gigs to keep me out of trouble. My bandmate ,on and off of 50 years passed away a few years back and it is not the same without him,but you gotta plough on.Never played my bass so much at home ,might get good soon :)
Last edited by onehandclapping on 24 Mar 2017, 11:53, edited 2 times in total.
62 white jazz,slab board.
63 fiesta red jazz bass,matching h'stock
64 jazz sburst
Dale Fortune 1964 Rick 1999/4001s
64 CS Jazz,car
Trace Elliot V4 x 2 all valve heads, 412L Schroeder cab,TC rh450,Schroeder 1212Lcab

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 24 Mar 2017, 00:48

I stopped gigging in 97, sold my gear.

Then in 2009 I got into it again, just for my pleasure but now I'm in a band about to play our first gig, all original music.

It's never over til it's over
"I follow a long line of famous bass men, like the guy in the Who or the guy in Led Zeppelin who isn't Plant Page or Bonham" :rolf:

veebass

Post by veebass » 24 Mar 2017, 03:45

I am 60 and still gigging. Like some others, I played in bands from my teens until I was about 30. Stopped but kept my Flying V- Work, family etc. About 10 years ago, I picked up a bass again. My son got interested and he learnt to play bass and then guitar. Became quite good. Formed a covers band with people at work and my son. We gigged around for over 5 years. Some of the best times in my life on stage with him and my work friends. Now with another covers band and gig regularly enough for me. So, things change at different times of your life.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 24 Mar 2017, 07:42

Sometimes spending time away from something makes you appreciate it more. I quit gigging in 2012 when I found out we were having twins. But I didn't sell my gear thankfully. I had a rehearsal with a new band last week.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 24 Mar 2017, 07:51

Nothing wrong with couch noodling.

I bought a Cordoba mini O Guitar to play with my daughter. She's only 18 months but loves music.

I think it depends on why you were playing music in the first place. If you're in it for the social drinking and doom-core-math-metal, then yeah those days might be coming to a close. But if you love playing an instrument then you can always do that, and there will always be people who want to play with you and others who want to listen.
Duesenberg MC Starplayer, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 24 Mar 2017, 09:08

vin-tone wrote:I think it depends on why you were playing music in the first place. If you're in it for the social drinking and doom-core-math-metal, then yeah those days might be coming to a close. But if you love playing an instrument then you can always do that, and there will always be people who want to play with you and others who want to listen.
I like this. Everyone has their reasons for gigging. Personally, every moment at a gig where we're not actually playing is just a chore for me. I'd just as soon read a book. In fact during breaks I often do. For others, gigs are their big night out and every gig is a big social thing. Whichever, it's all good. I gave away playing for decades for the usual reasons.....

Looking back I would:

1. Keep one or two instruments. Selling off other stuff is fine, easily replaced, in most cases by newer, lighter, better stuff. But if you have an instrument(s) you like, not so easy to replace. I would have kept more.

2. Coming back to it, the degradation in technique on my original instruments was depressing. So, doing it again I think I would make sure of leaving an instrument or three just laying about the house somewhere obvious where I'd be tempted to just pick it up for a few minutes when I walk past.

3. Again, coming back to playing, my ears were ok, but not what they were. I should have made time to attend a jam night or something. Even once a month would be better than nothing and would help keep the listening skills in some sort of decent nick.

Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

cleary

Post by cleary » 24 Mar 2017, 09:37

ozrider wrote:... do you just keep hanging on to the idea that you just might gig once again?
You've got to get those kids up to speed on their own instruments and start the trio/quartet ;)

My little bloke likes tonking away on the piano, or will pluck my electric bass like an upright in its stand (he likes the amplified thump). He's getting strong now (7 months) so I've had to put the guitars away cause he'll just snap the strings these days
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 » 24 Mar 2017, 09:49

After gigging 4-6 times a month since I was 18, I gave up in 2009 as the takeaway I had just bought was too busy for me to do any gigging at all. I sold my amps etc. but kept my basses and after I sold the business I got straight back into it.

I missed it a lot and the break was great but boy was I rusty as anything as I didn't play any bass really during the break. Forward 6 years I'm working full time (on someone elses dime) and squeezing in approx 70 or so gigs a year. I'm busier than I was before and it can be a struggle but at this stage I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

I can feel for you mate, but as others have hinted keep some gear, noodle and play at home and hopefully the time will come again when you can hit the stage again.

And don't be a stranger here, I've always enjoyed your posts and contributions to the forum!

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 24 Mar 2017, 11:35

as Mike said, keep a bass or two, sell the amps as they only get louder , lighter and smaller over time. Keep a headphone amp so u can noodle away on the couch :)
"I follow a long line of famous bass men, like the guy in the Who or the guy in Led Zeppelin who isn't Plant Page or Bonham" :rolf:

RickG

Post by RickG » 24 Mar 2017, 12:04

Great to see the variety of responses.
I started playing bass when I was about 17 in a couple of bands, and when they ran out of steam and I was about 20 I figured it was all over and better to leave it behind. :crazy:

I barely touched the bass again for about 18 years then took it up out of the blue a few years back, and just been seeing where it takes me since.
I'm actually having the opposite problem in a way - ie trying to get back into doing something live but with many obstacles in the way it looks unlikely to happen.

cleary

Post by cleary » 24 Mar 2017, 12:12

On a more serious note than my last, this is actually an opportunity for you to look at technique refinement.
If you need to, you have the time now to break and rebuild any aspects of your playing that you think need work, without the pressure of needing to be in top shape for a rehearsal or gig
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW