Political Coverage By the Media in Our Country - PART TWO

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
noplanb

Re: Political Coverage By the Media in Our Country - PART TWO

Post by noplanb » 08 Apr 2018, 14:36

finds a spine to run up
Wasn't that wonderful quote from Mr Keating?
Another as acerbic and pointy was Jim Killen from the 60s/70s
I see..............basses!

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 08 Apr 2018, 19:45

veebass

Post by veebass » 08 Apr 2018, 20:03

noplanb wrote:
08 Apr 2018, 14:36
finds a spine to run up
Wasn't that wonderful quote from Mr Keating?
Another as acerbic and pointy was Jim Killen from the 60s/70s
Yes indeed!

It was one of my very favourites.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 09 Apr 2018, 09:10

Newspoll number 30 ..... Abbott is going to be everywhere today. I'm going to hide under a rock for 24 hours, he's going to be unbearable!
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

veebass

Post by veebass » 09 Apr 2018, 09:39

Happy 30th Mal. You have worked hard for it.

Here's one of the many current stories about the ATO crushing individuals and businesses- obviously not big businesses- the very big ones often operate with impunity.

Ever wondered how we got to a situation where citizens are routinely monstered by the the three biggest Commonwealth departments (Borderforce, ATO and Centrelink) and find themselves in their dealings with these organisations to actually have less rights than murders have before the law?

Interesting that the Party that endlessly talks about small government has been in power for all but 6 of the last 22 years federally (almost 3/4 of the time), including the last five years. Plenty of time and opportunity to shape the current arrangements.

It's all Bill Shorten's fault, of course. Even though he has never been PM and his party has actually been a minor player in federal government in Australia for over two decades. Largely their own fault.
Have a look at how often the Coalition talk about matters in those three portfolios. The situation is by design and is core business for the Coalition, not some evil actions by the Labor Party , that the Coalition just hasn't gotten around to correcting after the last 5 year stint in government.

BTW David Littleproud (Agriculture Minister and Loan Shark) did a great job not mentioning Barnaby Joyce's negligence and incompetence as his predecessor when puffing up and getting all tough about the live export disgrace Joyce has overseen for years, while rubbishing Gillard about acting on a similar disgrace.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-09/t ... ce/9623416

packrat

Post by packrat » 09 Apr 2018, 09:43

While we are at 30, one cannot reasonably point to the milquetoast PM as a primary factor amongst the horrific action of his peers who spruik coal, run prison camps and so forth. In a sense, Abbott had much more personal impact on the unpopularity of his party.

Seems like that's a bit too nuanced for the press, especially the Murdoch press.

veebass

Post by veebass » 09 Apr 2018, 10:06

packrat wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 09:43
While we are at 30, one cannot reasonably point to the milquetoast PM as a primary factor amongst the horrific action of his peers who spruik coal, run prison camps and so forth. In a sense, Abbott had much more personal impact on the unpopularity of his party.

Seems like that's a bit too nuanced for the press, especially the Murdoch press.
I have heard those arguments in parts of the press and I don't buy it, while I am in no way leaping to Murdoch's people's defence. There are actually a lot of Turnbull apologists in the media, desperate for him succeed. Some of them even work for Murdoch and have family working for Turnbull.
Sorry, I am a bit over the "it's everybody else but Malcolm's fault" stuff. We get it daily, every ministeriaL statement and interview includes it. The fact is, Labor had under 6 years in government in the last 22 years. The Coalition has been in Government for the last 5 years. It is time for them to stop the excuses. It actually makes them look stupid.

Abbott hasn't been in charge for getting towards three years. He is a goat and everyone has known that since 1996 when he was elected. The country collectively forgot that for a short period with the help of Murdoch, the mining lobby and the ALP.
Turnbull has been totally ineffective in managing Abbott, as Gillard was in managing Rudd.
Turnbull hates Abbott and let that get in the way of commonsense in dealing with him.
Turnbull should have publicly offered Abbott Indigenous Affairs when he knifed him. End of story. I understand he didn't because Turnbull is a vengeful individual and carries a grudge for a very long time. Turnbull also overestimated the durability of his own popularity.

The Coalition have had only a short period of poll popularity (when people thought Turnbull actually stood for something other than big business welfare) in the last five years. They are unpopular because their policies stink and they operate like a rabble. The only thing that keeps them anywhere near the hunt is the poor public perception of Shorten, the cultivation of which seems to be the major Coalition electoral strategy from what I can see.

I find it hilarious watching Malcolm this morning, trotting out the "people expect me to focus on the policies rather than the personalities" mantra he has developed. All he ever does is focus on Shorten's personality- it is the only line of attack he has.

packrat

Post by packrat » 09 Apr 2018, 10:17

You mistake my point. I'm arguing for ineffectual, not innocent.

What we're seeing is much more about the liberal party being collectively horrific rather than the same horrible people caught up in the wake of a singular madman. Turnbull should have had Abbott removed entirely and then moved to purge the crazed right wing conservatives in his party if he actually wanted to move the needle, but that wasn't his interest.

That said, we're going to be dealing with the wreckage of Turnbull's NBN for a decade or more before pressures finally push it to be abandoned and replaced with sensible technology, and when that happens, it's only going to hit affluent areas, a hallmark of liberal policy outcomes.

B>

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 09 Apr 2018, 11:14

veebass wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 10:06

I am a bit over the "it's everybody else but Malcolm's fault" stuff.
Totally agree

veebass wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 10:06
They are unpopular because their policies stink and they operate like a rabble. The only thing that keeps them anywhere near the hunt is the poor public perception of Shorten, the cultivation of which seems to be the major Coalition electoral strategy from what I can see.
I think Shorten has a good chance of losing the next election. I think no one really trusts him after his involvement with previous Labor shenanigans. I think the Coalition only need to keep Shorten front and centre to win - its just too easy to play the man in this case.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 09 Apr 2018, 17:27

packrat wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 10:17
..... Turnbull should have had Abbott removed entirely and then moved to purge the crazed right wing conservatives in his party if he actually wanted to move the needle, but that wasn't his interest.
Those far right crazies are the ones who helped him oust Abbott. Turnbull owes them. The only way he was ever going to be able to brush them aside is if he won the last election by a landslide. He didn't. So he's their puppet now! And boy are they working it!
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

veebass

Post by veebass » 09 Apr 2018, 18:27

Petebass wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 17:27
packrat wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 10:17
..... Turnbull should have had Abbott removed entirely and then moved to purge the crazed right wing conservatives in his party if he actually wanted to move the needle, but that wasn't his interest.
Those far right crazies are the ones who helped him oust Abbott. Turnbull owes them. The only way he was ever going to be able to brush them aside is if he won the last election by a landslide. He didn't. So he's their puppet now! And boy are they working it!
Missed his chance when he didn't go to an election as soon as he had knifed Abbott.

veebass

Post by veebass » 10 Apr 2018, 06:34

So Joyce, who told Turnbull that the leadership of the Nats was none of his business, is lecturing Turnbull on doing the right thing and stepping aside, for the good of the government, if he doesn't do better by the end of the year.

Just a touch hypocritical, but it does show the level of animosity

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/do-the-hono ... over-polls

veebass

Post by veebass » 10 Apr 2018, 07:05

ozrider wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 11:14

I think Shorten has a good chance of losing the next election. I think no one really trusts him after his involvement with previous Labor shenanigans. I think the Coalition only need to keep Shorten front and centre to win - its just too easy to play the man in this case.

I think you are right. The next election will be closer than people think, if the two current leaders remain in place. The Libs would be no chance with anyone other than Turnbull. Labor would be unbackable with anyone other than Shorten.
For some strange reason people want to like Turnbull and don't want to like Shorten. Turnbull gets a lot of slack from the electorate. Shorten gets none, as far as I can see.
I think people don't like Shorten because of how they perceive him, obviously. The Coalition have been relentless in painting him as the only politician in the history of the universe to have been involved in a leadership change or two. Hmm Bishop......"loyal" deputy to six (?) leaders, up to arm pits in Abbott's blood ..... Morrison blatantly lying to Abbott about his voting block's voting intention before the leadership vote (this was critical in Abbott's loss BTW)............makes Shorten look like an angel and I could go on.
The Coalition has been pretty successful in making a connection in people's minds between the words "union", "CFMEU"and "crook". They basically call Shorten a corrupt union thug or CFMEU puppet every chance they get (every presser, every answer in Parliament). They also paint Shorten as two faced every chance they get. Says one thing in Melbourne and another in North Qld, as though he is the first and only politician to do that. This has to stick to a degree and I think that is what is keeping them in the game. I think the constant negativity also damages them, but the net result for the Coalition is probably positive. Truth be told, the recent Liberal governments have actually probably set a world record in broken election promises (Abbott government) and backflips (Turnbull government).

If the Coalition get another term they will continue on their pro big business agenda at the expense of working people. Luck and citizenship sloppiness have delivered them a Senate that is very close to giving them everything they want now. Who knows after the next election?

BTW I watched the Four Corners show last night on the ATO.
Obviously, the hyper aggressive behaviour of staff would in no way be encouraged by Morrison, Cormann or O'Dwyer (the financial ministers). They won't even be aware of it, just like Joyce and Littleproud were unaware of the live export disgrace- LOL.
The stand out for me, though, was that only big business has an avenue of independent review against tax. Small businesses and individuals don't. How very Malcolm.

packrat

Post by packrat » 10 Apr 2018, 07:27

If Turnbull doesn’t quit, what exactly is Barnaby going to do? Get another staffer pregnant? Move more government departments to remote country towns?

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 10 Apr 2018, 08:48

veebass wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 07:05
The next election will be closer than people think, if the two current leaders remain in place. The Libs would be no chance with anyone other than Turnbull. Labor would be unbackable with anyone other than Shorten.
If Labor are smart they will stick to their guns between now and just before the campaign starts, and then Shorten could announce that he is "retiring for family reasons" and won't be standing at the election. Then he can hand over the reins to Tanya Plibersek to lead the election campaign, and she would get them over the line I believe. Albo could win it for them as well, but I think Plibersek would be a more long term populist option.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals