Political Coverage By the Media in Our Country - PART TWO

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
veebass

Re: Political Coverage By the Media in Our Country - PART TWO

Post by veebass » 27 Mar 2018, 17:15

Good enough for me.

Barnaby has vouched for Dutton's integrity.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/joyce-defen ... nnectsbs=1
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

veebass

Post by veebass » 28 Mar 2018, 07:10

Not a mention in the mainstream media that I can find that the Child Support Agency computer system has been down for five days.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/five-years ... interface/

veebass

Post by veebass » 29 Mar 2018, 17:23

Very little coverage of this either........MP citizenship debts waived.

I'll bet those poor people hounded for bogus debts by Centrelink under the instruction of the government will be miffed. I do really mean bogus. I have now seen actual cases where the debt was calculated using annual figures (despite the Newstart means test being fortnightly in legislation) and the "debtor" losing internal appeals because they couldn't supply fortnightly figures or documents (dodgy small business employers). Hopefully these people will win at the Administrative Appeals Tribunals.

Quietly announced after Parliament rose and on a day we are obsessed with Smith/ Warner/ Bancroft- just a coincidence, I suppose.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/ ... bts-waived

veebass

Post by veebass » 01 Apr 2018, 05:34

An interesting piece on the F 35B/ Canberra Class LHD issue.
That is, on providing Australia with potentially two highly capable aircraft carriers, rather than glorified landing ships that would be difficult to defend in a seriously contested environment.

One of the common criticisms of the LHDs has been that they would currently present big juicy targets and would be very risky to deploy in a real fight. It also always interested me that our two ships were built with the ski jumps, like the original Spanish design that is an aircraft carrier specifically designed for the F 35B.

http://centralblue.williamsfoundation.o ... ve-george/

veebass

Post by veebass » 02 Apr 2018, 05:19

A new Liberal low? Ask for "pairs" on religious observance grounds and then turn up for the vote.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/two- ... ote-2018-4

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 02 Apr 2018, 13:55

F 35B/ Canberra Class LHD issue
]
Thanks for the interesting article.
What an opportunity for defence to get cheap high-capability seaborne aviation!
It is a no-brainer that any military force requires as many combined arms as possible for effectiveness and surviveability- eg seaborne air, missile -ships, subs, long range radar etc.
I see..............basses!

veebass

Post by veebass » 03 Apr 2018, 11:29

This will be an interesting fight.
Labor and the Super Guarantee.

http://www.afr.com/news/labor-planning- ... 402-h0y88l#

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 03 Apr 2018, 14:10

lol @ the Liberal voting Ozbassers rubbishing everything Labor does, and the Labor voters rubbishing everything the Libs say and do.
While those of us who gave up on the big parties ages ago realise that NOTHING the Libs or Labor faction puppets say or do makes any substantial difference to our lives for the good, ever. We have to retire later, with no chance of a pension worth a brass razoo, as our reward for working so these bludgers in Canberra can have a cushy living for LIFE. nairy a protest from the mugs paying for all this lol
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

veebass

Post by veebass » 04 Apr 2018, 18:12

More rubbishing........this is a disgrace.

http://www.afr.com/business/accounting/ ... 326-h0xymn

veebass

Post by veebass » 06 Apr 2018, 07:33

Yes, more well deserved rubbishing for Malcolm's maggots (if Labor was ever grubby enough to do this, I would rubbish them too). Seems a forty year veteran of the AAT and Emeritus Professor of Law at Sydney Uni agrees with this forty year veteran of Centrelink and it's predeccessors.

The Professor is correct. Unsurprisingly, Centrelink has to use actual fortnightly income for a fortnightly income test. They cannot, as they have been doing, legally assume the client is lying or even in honest error with what they reported at the time and use an average derived from a full financial year taxation accounting, without any evidence that the client has incorrectly reported. All the data match from Taxation tells Centrelink is that the person earned a certain amount in that financial year. Typically those caught have entered better paying employment early in a new financial year and often ceased to receive any benefits. Centrelink has no evidence that the client has reported incorrectly and the default in that circumstance is no debt. In essence what they are actually doing is saying the lack of documentary evidence in these cases means you are guilty, even though the reason the documents are unavailable are based on Centrelink's own long term advice and/ or failure by an employer to comply with the law..

This is precisely the situation I have repeatedly posted about. The Government is illegally recovering ALLEGED debts from the most vulnerable in society and wants to cut the tax rate to the most powerful (many of whom don't even pay what they are supposed to now). I know a number of people who did declare their very meagre income as required but could not disprove the ALLEGED debt years later because the employer was gone and, in many cases, never provided payslips in the first place. It may be news to Malcolm, Kate Carnell and their buddies, but there are dodgy employers out there,.

The victims of this Government shakedown were told at the time they needed to keep evidence for six months only. Years later, under Government direction, Centrelink removed that advice from it's website and then told people they had to keep records for years, as they strongarmed people into paying debts which have NEVER existed under legislation. This is a massive shakedown by Morrison (I know for a fact it was his idea).

The people I know who got hit with this were typically people who were trying to do the "right thing". ie they were working in low paid jobs and studying to try and avoid being on welfare. I believe they declared their income at the time as required, but generally were unable to provide original documents to get Centrelink off their backs up to five years later- when they had been told they needed to keep evidence for 6 months only. In fact everyone I know in this situation has been hit with a debt and bullied into paying it back, as they just don't want debt collectors harassing them. Some have taken loans to pay Centrelink back.
The "robo-debt" program compares Tax Office income records against fortnightly income clients report to Centrelink, and asks them to confirm figures when a discrepancy is detected. From July 2016 the OCI scheme raised debts in every case where the person could not disprove the possible overpayment or its amount, Professor Carney said.
Writing in the UNSW Law Journal last month, he said that despite the DHS' stance it remained responsible for calculating debts based on actual earnings, not assumed averages.
"The failure of a person to ‘disprove’ the possibility of a debt is not a legal foundation for a debt," he said.
"When confronted with suggestions of having an overpayment, often from up to seven years ago, the least literate, least powerful, and most vulnerable alleged debtors will simply throw up their hands, assume Centrelink knows that there really is a debt, and seek to pay it off as quickly as possible."
He argued the AAT should set aside decisions based on averaging and send them back to be reconsidered with a direction that overpayments be calculated on precise information about earnings in relevant fortnights.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 4z7x9.html
Last edited by veebass on 06 Apr 2018, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 06 Apr 2018, 13:52

BazzBass wrote:
03 Apr 2018, 14:10
lol @ the Liberal voting Ozbassers rubbishing everything Labor does, and the Labor voters rubbishing everything the Libs say and do.
While those of us who gave up on the big parties ages ago realise that NOTHING the Libs or Labor faction puppets say or do makes any substantial difference to our lives for the good, ever. We have to retire later, with no chance of a pension worth a brass razoo, as our reward for working so these bludgers in Canberra can have a cushy living for LIFE. nairy a protest from the mugs paying for all this lol
While I agree that the political class is decoupled from everyday voters, I tend to think there is no moral equivalence between the goals and ambitions of the Liberal party and the Labor Party. While Labor are often at odds with themselves, can get pretty neoliberal in their policies, can also cave in to immediate political imperatives when far-thinking is required, they still don't actively target, ridicule, demonise and punish the weak and the poor. If you've had any dealings with centrelink and their array of enforcement providers, if you've seen or experienced how these policies impact on people who are least able to defend themselves against these pernicious practices (wait times, robodebts, lack of staffing on the ground, terrible bureaucracy and complexity of form-filling) and discourses (lifters and leaners), then it is hard to suggest that these parties are all the same, that it doesn't matter who is in power.

veebass

Post by veebass » 06 Apr 2018, 20:01

An interesting theory attempting to explain the lack of any talent in the parliamentary Coalition from the always entertaining Ms Badham.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nt-problem

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 06 Apr 2018, 22:43

if you've seen or experienced how these policies impact on people who are least able to defend themselves
Yes, this kind of stuff is inexcusable. So if the libs got that bit right, we would all be a lot better off? (joke) No, I guess it is just the beginning of the morass that is politics.
But I do often wonder why we do not wake up to fact that we need better morals, collectively, nationally, and that can only produce better government, and, hey, even better cricket......
I see..............basses!

veebass

Post by veebass » 07 Apr 2018, 05:01

While on the topic of Coalition messing up the public service.

My understanding is that Joel Fitzgibbon is on the money when he said,
Labor's agriculture spokesman Joel Fitzgibbon says he was concerned the department's investigation found no breach of regulatory standards.
"That can only mean one of two things. Either the investigative processes are flawed, or the standards are insufficient," he said.
I am told it is the former, although the Department is taking one for the Government by saying it is the latter.
Joyce apparently approved new markets without providing for additional inspectors. He was probably too busy to do his job.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... 2d8#.uhyab

veebass

Post by veebass » 08 Apr 2018, 13:18

I love this- good news for Turnbull IPSOS reckons 62% want Turnbull to not get rolled.

I reckon that's great- 50% are Labor people who are comfortable with Labor winning with him as PM.

Seriously though, I think Turnbull will last a while longer- unless Pete the shiver finds a spine to run up.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_5766295043001