Political Coverage By the Media in Our Country - PART TWO

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
veebass

Re: Political Coverage By the Media in Our Country - PART TWO

Post by veebass » 12 Feb 2018, 18:11

Now this.

Joyce has been playing games with the documentation.
He only updated the register as separated last month- even though they were separated long before that (mid year is what I understand).

He still hasn't updated to include Campion as his partner. He is being deceptive and needs to go.

Turnbull can't allow this guy to be acting PM in the near future..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-12/b ... ng/9421614
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

veebass

Post by veebass » 12 Feb 2018, 19:13

slave

Post by slave » 13 Feb 2018, 10:15

I reckon there's a good chance the only people who really care about the Barnables mess arethe media & Labor-minded folk trying to gun him down.
I doubt anything is going to change once the media gets bored of this.

veebass

Post by veebass » 13 Feb 2018, 10:32

slave wrote:
13 Feb 2018, 10:15
I reckon there's a good chance the only people who really care about the Barnables mess arethe media & Labor-minded folk trying to gun him down.
I doubt anything is going to change once the media gets bored of this.
Maybe it will die? Media beatup, as Nigel Scullion yelled at reporters yesterday? Don't think so- looks like there is patronage by Barnaby, based on what Turnbull/ PMO has said and they are relying on his lack of declaration of Campion as his partner to wiggle around on a technicality of Abbott's flawed Ministerial Code. There appears at least some misuse of public money- he has already paid some back on the quiet. Even, in his statements this morning, Joyce is splitting hairs and being evasive about when she was his partner and who was not a Minister. BTW- since when does a Party Whip need two media advisors? Joyce is wiggling around the wording of "Tony Abbott's flawed code"- even someone as dim as Ian McDaonald pointed out several years ago that what was not allowable for your wife was OK for your "mistress" (McDonald's word not mine) under Tony's code.

The real issue is not compliance with Abbott's stupid code, rather it is avoidance of conflict of interest and patronage. If the PM is to be believed, Joyce made all those staffing decisions (new jobs, more pay) to the benefit of a woman he was in a relationship with. If Turnbull is lying then the two of them conspired in it. Either way, it no more passes the pub test than Dastyari did.

BTW I wouldn't assume it is only "Labor Minded" people who want him gone.
He and his rag tag bunch of right wingers have controlled government policy to the detriment of the government since 2013. He personally has been involved in one scandal after another, sucking the oxygen out of the government's message. He is an embarrassment to the country. I think many "Liberal minded" people would be glad to see him gone and a more moderate figure like Darren Chester leading the Nats.

Paul Bongiorno's take on it.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/nationa ... aby-joyce/

veebass

Post by veebass » 13 Feb 2018, 14:27

Interesting Question Time.
Turnbull treading very carefully about his role, but clearly uncomfortable with the detail questions directed at him about the Campion appointments. He backtracked on advice provided by his office yesterday at one point. Ever changing story.
Albo at his best- three searing questions to Joyce as Minister For Infrastructure. All asking if he was even aware that he underspent significantly on important rural infrastructure programs ie the budget allocation was not spent by up to 50% in some cases. $1Billion in Qld alone. Asking what wasn't done and how many jobs that cost. This was on top of a series of questions yesterday about cuts to rural infrasture allocations in most States and Territories.

Joyce looked very inadequate as he blustered and went red when confronted with the terrible job he has done. He looked beaten at the end of QT.

EDIT
Sunrise is running a Facebook poll today on should he stay or should he go. After several thousand votes. 73% Go.
Seems a significant number of Liberals don't want Joyce to be PM next week and the the numbers in the Nats are precarious for Joyce- so much only for "Labor minded" people caring.

veebass

Post by veebass » 14 Feb 2018, 13:54

veebass

Post by veebass » 15 Feb 2018, 04:28

Just extraordinary given he was in the situation because he failed in his due diligence.................... I have never heard of this before.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... 4z0ar.html
Last edited by veebass on 15 Feb 2018, 06:45, edited 1 time in total.

veebass

Post by veebass » 15 Feb 2018, 04:35

55% of New England voters (one of the most conservative seats in the country) believe the media was justified in reporting Joyce's personal affairs. Apart from showing that it is not just Labor people who care about this, it may have made the by election a lot closer if people had been aware before they voted

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... 4z0bt.html

veebass

Post by veebass » 15 Feb 2018, 08:46

Northern catchment review voted down in the Senate last night.

Where is the responsible government minister? Trying decide whether he supports Joyce or not?

Barnaby is hiding from the media. His "issues" are not affecting the performance of his duties and the government. :rolf:

veebass

Post by veebass » 15 Feb 2018, 19:45

Turnbull taunted Labor to make the case that the code had been breached yesterday afternoon in Parliament.

Labor obliged this morning on the issue of free rent..

Turnbull all but sacked Joyce this afternoon.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... 4z0ge.html

packrat

Post by packrat » 15 Feb 2018, 20:19

Can’t wait to see Barnaby on dancing with the stars.

veebass

Post by veebass » 16 Feb 2018, 08:43

After defending Barnaby and saying his private life is none of our business (which was correct unless it impacted on his duty, cost up money or lead to patronage) for a week, I don't understand why Turnbull went for Joyce yesterday afternoon essentially on the issues of morality, judgement and hurting his family. He would have been better IMO to go on the issues Labor was pushing (promotions for Campion and "free" rent) and found him in breach of the current code. Finished- gone. The Nats could threaten to pull out of the Coalition, but they wouldn't do it. They would be committing mass suicide to go to an election in support of Barnaby. Turnbull could threaten to make them all three cornered contests. I also don't understand why Turnbull would announce his "boss/ staff sex ban". It is already covered by conflict of interest and patronage. It shouldn't be necessary to tell the nation's leaders about this stuff.

Anyway, the whole thing may backfire on Turnbull. This will be determined in the National Party. Read on.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... ar-BBJb6QA

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/ ... 4z0gv.html

veebass

Post by veebass » 16 Feb 2018, 11:13

Joyce has called Turnbull inept this morning and told him to keep out of Nats Party business. One can probably assume Joyce knows he currently enjoys majority support from the parliamentary Nats- he will have worked on that last night.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... s-marriage

http://www.news.com.au/national/politic ... d86e68324d

AS I said earlier, Turnbull chose the wrong issues yesterday afternoon to make a stand on. Open warfare now- one of them probably now HAS to go.
What does Turnbull do if the Nats won't ditch Joyce? He has to be prepared to dissolve the Coalition and go to an election with three corner contests against the Nats or he may be the one that loses his job in the end. Watch the leading Libs closely.
Bill Shorten must be laughing his head off.

veebass

Post by veebass » 16 Feb 2018, 12:27

Another Turnbull press conference in 10 minutes to respond to Joyce, presumably.

Will he back down or fight? Fascinating.

He could end the Coalition and attempt to govern in minority. The threat would be all the Nats Ministers get a big pay cut. Or he could just go to an election, as I speculated above.

EDIT: He backed down. :rolf:

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 16 Feb 2018, 13:25

Wow, the PM and Deputy PM are at WAR! What a friggin joke!

Shorten has gone quiet. I hear he had his own "getting the office girl pregnant" drama several years ago, so that would explain that (if true).
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546