Rock/musician biographies you liked.

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
OzzyGreg

Rock/musician biographies you liked.

Post by OzzyGreg » 03 Sep 2016, 07:08

I love nothing more than sitting in bed, with a cup of tea, reading a rock biography at night after everything else is done. (Ok, so I'm a pathetic old fart, ok? LOL!)

I just thought I'd start a thread about it to see if there's any other Ozbassers who like their rock/musician (ie. maybe jazz?) biographies and what books they have liked.

Please keep discussion confined to rock or jazz related biographies. (Not sport or whatever else.)

I'll kick off with Duff McKagen's autobiography "It's So Easy - And Other Lies".
This is one of my all-time favourites.
This guy should be dead. The way he went from the depths of drug and alcohol addiction to being completely clean and getting heavily into martial arts is inspirational. An awesome book. Highly recommended.

A founding member of Guns N’ Roses and Velvet Revolver—and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee—shares the story of his rise to the pinnacle of fame and fortune, his struggles with alcoholism and drug addiction, his personal crash and burn, and his phoenix-like transformation.

In 1984, at the age of twenty, Duff McKagan left his native Seattle—partly to pursue music but mainly to get away from a host of heroin overdoses then decimating his closest group of friends in the local punk scene. In L.A. only a few weeks and still living in his car, he answered a want ad for a bass player placed by someone who identified himself only as “Slash.” Soon after, the most dangerous band in the world was born. Guns N’ Roses went on to sell more than 100 million albums worldwide.

Getting out of bass playing and into farming. I need cash!

veebass

Re: Rock/musician biographies you liked.

Post by veebass » 03 Sep 2016, 07:45

I have read a few. I found The Church one interesting. I guess because I used see them around the pubs a fair bit. The Chrissy Amphlett one (Pleasure and Pain) was good. I really enjoyed I Am Ozzy and Tony Iommi- Iron Man. The Keith Richards one was a good read too. I thought Starman was pretty good as well. Read a couple of Led Zep and Hendrix books a while back as well, some are better than others IMO.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

OzzyGreg

Post by OzzyGreg » 03 Sep 2016, 07:52

Yeah, I liked the Church one too Russ, though it did seem a bit rushed at the end to me.

Getting out of bass playing and into farming. I need cash!

veebass

Post by veebass » 03 Sep 2016, 08:00

OzzyGreg wrote:.
Yeah, I liked the Church one too Russ, though it did seem a bit rushed at the end to me.

Yes, me too.

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 03 Sep 2016, 08:41

Sammy Hagar. I can't look at the Van Halen brothers the same after that. I'm not a book reader, but I read it in under 3 days.
Gear:Fender I QSC I Bergantino I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Boss I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses:Fender I Sandberg I Musicman I Sadowsky I Warmoth l Squier

Bands:Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 03 Sep 2016, 08:52

Billy Thorpe's book is supposed to be really good too. Sorry, haven't read it.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

veebass

Post by veebass » 03 Sep 2016, 09:10

BassLine wrote:Billy Thorpe's book is supposed to be really good too. Sorry, haven't read it.
Yes, I forgot I had read it.

Rude_Mechanical

Post by Rude_Mechanical » 03 Sep 2016, 09:31

Horace Panter, "Ska'd for Life"
Guy Pratt "My Bass and Other Animals"
Henry Rollins "Get in the Van"

Those three cover an amazingly varied set of experiences, now that I think of it.
"Turn everything to 11, dump instruments in front of the amp and manipulate pedals for 5 minutes" - me.

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 03 Sep 2016, 09:55

I do love books and biographies; especially coffee table books on bands and rock musician bios.

Nobody here gets out alive - Jim Morrison/the doors
Hammer of the Gods - Led Zeppelin
LZ 75 - Led Zeppelin
Sex and drugs and rock n roll - Billy Thorpe
The Youngs - G M & A Young & AC/DC
Black Sabbath
Conversations with McCartney
Live Wire - Bon Scott
My Bon Scott

Plus coffee table style books on ACDC, Queen, Pink Floyd, U2, Status Quo, Bowie etc
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 03 Sep 2016, 10:00

Shakey (Neil Young) - is great.
Don't dream it's over - the crowded house one is interesting in the way the songwriter in a band can be making a fortune while the rest struggle financially & the pressures that puts on band relationships
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs

FunkDragon

Post by FunkDragon » 03 Sep 2016, 11:18

OzzyGreg wrote:.
I love nothing more than sitting in bed, with a cup of tea, reading a rock biography at night after everything else is done. (Ok, so I'm a pathetic old fart, ok? LOL!)

I just thought I'd start a thread about it to see if there's any other Ozbassers who like their rock/musician (ie. maybe jazz?) biographies and what books they have liked.

Please keep discussion confined to rock or jazz related biographies. (Not sport or whatever else.)

I'll kick off with Duff McKagen's autobiography "It's So Easy - And Other Lies".
This is one of my all-time favourites.
This guy should be dead. The way he went from the depths of drug and alcohol addiction to being completely clean and getting heavily into martial arts is inspirational. An awesome book. Highly recommended.

A founding member of Guns N’ Roses and Velvet Revolver—and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee—shares the story of his rise to the pinnacle of fame and fortune, his struggles with alcoholism and drug addiction, his personal crash and burn, and his phoenix-like transformation.

In 1984, at the age of twenty, Duff McKagan left his native Seattle—partly to pursue music but mainly to get away from a host of heroin overdoses then decimating his closest group of friends in the local punk scene. In L.A. only a few weeks and still living in his car, he answered a want ad for a bass player placed by someone who identified himself only as “Slash.” Soon after, the most dangerous band in the world was born. Guns N’ Roses went on to sell more than 100 million albums worldwide.

I loved this biography too!
I must admit to being very surprised at how articulate Duff is. Very well spoken and intelligent. I was expecting drug fuelled rantings but it was just the opposite.
And yeah, I found it inspiring too :yep

Fantastic read that is hard to put down...
It's ALL about the groove!
Spector - ReBop MM 4, & Legend Custom 5 :partydance:
Genz Benz GBE750
Ampeg Portaflex 4x10

groovinbass.com

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 03 Sep 2016, 11:55

I've read heaps of them and just discovered a bunch more to read thanks to this thread. Thanks guys. I'd need to check on the book case to remember them all, but off the top of my head,

John Lydon's 'Anger is an energy'. Funny, thoughful and intelligent guy.

Stewart Copeland (Police) 'Strange things happen' is very good. Not much on the original days of the Police, although quite a bit about the reunion tour.

I'm going to re-read Chrissy Amphlett's one soon. I really liked the way she had side bars, with other guys in and around the band sharing their side of the story.

Joe Jackson's 'A cure for gravity' is one of my favourites. He tells his story up to getting his record deal. Lots of stories of bad gigs in worse venues.

Mark Seymour '13 tonne theory'

Elvis Costello's 'Unfaithful music and disappearing ink' is very good.

Bob Dylan's "Chronicles volume 1" is really well written. I hope he does volume 2.

I was a little disappointed with Pete Townshend's one. Not bad, just expected it to be better.

Same with Chrissie Hynde.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

pjm

Post by pjm » 03 Sep 2016, 12:49

I'm currently reading David Hepworth's 1971 never a dull moment. Great book
"David Hepworth's argument is simple: 1971 was "the most febrile and creative time in the entire history of popular music". It's an enormous assertion but he makes his point with infectious enthusiasm . . . Whether you agree is beside the point. This is a compelling love letter to a year of timeless music." (Q)
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Epiphone, Ashdown, GK, Ampeg,

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 03 Sep 2016, 13:36

I've read heaps of them, I'll try and remember the better ones.

Molly Meldrum's was very funny

Billy Thorpe too. He kept dropping the C word in songs and getting arrested in Melbourne. One judge told him, "you can't go around singing "C&%$".

So he wrote a song called "you can't go around singing C^%$" and opened with it, got arrested, and told the judge, "but it's the name of a song". The judge agreed and let him off.

Keith's Life was a great read, surprised he remembers anything at all.

Ron Wood's was great too

can't remember any more right now
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

slave

Post by slave » 03 Sep 2016, 14:30

Ozzy's book was okay - I got the vibe he was being completely honest, and a giant tool.

The Motley Crue one was absolutely hilarious, def's worth a read.

Red Hot Chili Peppers book was very well done, but sad.