Health Goals for 2017

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
BassLine

Re: Health Goals for 2017

Post by BassLine » 20 Oct 2017, 05:16

OK. We're 80% of the way thru 2017....
How's everyone tracking with their Health & Fitness goals?

I lost 5kg in 8 weeks. At my optimal weight.... finally. Need to wear a belt with all my pants now.

Method: Did loads more walking & regular swimming, more fruit & no carb-based snack foods.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 20 Oct 2017, 09:00

BassLine wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 05:16
OK. We're 80% of the way thru 2017....
How's everyone tracking with their Health & Fitness goals?
As previously reported, all signs at the moment are that my thyroid cancer has been nuked. But I've put on a few kgs of fat, so need to get back into a solid fitness regime. I've made an initial start the past couple of weeks but am nowhere near being back into a useful training routine yet. Not having much free time doesn't help with that, but I'm keen to make time.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 20 Oct 2017, 11:24

Ditto to my cancer being nuked! And given the location of the cancer, I'm pleased to report everything down there still works perfectly. There endeth the good news. The chemo has severely stunted my immune system so I've had a pretty rough trot in 2017 - can't wait to see the end of it to be honest..... 2018 can only get better!
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 20 Oct 2017, 12:13

^the huge downside with chemo is exactly that... it really stuffs the immune system...
For all those who are battling cancer, or even its knock-on effects, I feel for you guys... And keep up the good work!

My personal health goals are going pretty well...
I am 94kg (down from 104kg two years ago). My resting heartrate is 59BPM (down from 82BPM two years ago. I do 5km runs every Saturday morning (parkrun, look into it). I work out 4-5 times / week and I still don’t eat the way I should (but I’ll get there…maybe). I’m also carrying a lot more muscle than I did two years ago (I’d say around 5-8 kg)

Injury-wise, that’s been challenging for this 52-year-old body. My left shoulder is almost completely rehabbed (yeah!), my left elbow is finally getting better (it was pretty stuffed the last few months), my right elbow is 100% (I had golfer’s elbow there last year). I have runners knee (patellar tendon pain) in both knees sometimes, but it’s much better than it was. And the sciatica on my left side is GOONE!

The main things I am discovering about my body. 1)recovery time is much longer, so rest cycles are VERY important. 2)Joints are not what they used to be, so stretching and warm ups are CRUCIAL. 3)I’m surprised at how much physical strength I still have…probably 90% of what I had when I was in my 30’s.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 20 Oct 2017, 20:23

I have a new goal, to not be woken up on the change room floor by a colleague after passing out from the pain of a slipped disc for the rest of the year. Physio and strength training in my near future, could probably afford to lose some kg as well.
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 20 Oct 2017, 23:25

narcdor wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 20:23
I have a new goal, to not be woken up on the change room floor by a colleague after passing out from the pain of a slipped disc for the rest of the year. Physio and strength training in my near future, could probably afford to lose some kg as well.
Yikes, that sounds horrible. If your Physio is half as good as mine, you'll be on your way to improvement pretty quickly. One of my post cancer complications is a back injury that occurred when I was subconsciously favouring my surgery wound. First he works on relieving immediate pain, then he gives me stretching and strengthening exercises as a preventative. I've never been as bad as to pass out from pian, but back troubles can certainly make it hard to live life.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 21 Oct 2017, 01:45

narcdor wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 20:23
Swimming is the #1 exercise while recovering from disc issues. Done gently, it's low intensity/ low impact on joints, and retrains/ reintegrates the stabilising muscle groups.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 21 Oct 2017, 11:02

I used to swim a lot before I moved south, I’ll run it past my physio Tuesday. I really should take this seriously, if something shifted again and I ended up with nerve damage my wife would kill me for being so stupid. Getting older sucks!
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 21 Oct 2017, 11:17

People are always talking about the need for strong core muscles ... which is true ... but what we neglect is complete core ...

Core is much more than abs . It is abs, back intercostals, hip flexors... they all work together ... and not only should core be strong, but it must also be flexible
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 02 Dec 2017, 09:56

It's December now, anyone got any any health goals/ New Years Resolutions for 2018 yet?

While overseas I lost 6kg while putting on muscle - heaps of swimming and walking, and being extra careful with food (allergies, gut issues).

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 02 Dec 2017, 14:15

Having a bad run, bed ridden for a couple weeks plus some flu and cold from change of season means I have done zero exercise the past two months. Goal for the rest of the year is to get back to my only excercise of riding to work rain hail or shine, plus trams are stinky when it rains.