Health Goals for 2017

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
PilbaraBass

Re: Health Goals for 2016

Post by PilbaraBass » 20 May 2016, 13:23

RedVee wrote:
Also, he suggested that a 3Kg weight drop will reduce the stress through the knee by some rediculously large figure. 120kgs I think. Any ideas on how that works?
It's physics really.

Your knee is a hinge point… If you squat down, the knee extends away from your hips (out of vertical alignment)… then this is countered back towards your centre of gravity at your ankles.
So all that force goes out to your knees and back. When you’re standing, it’s all in a straight line, so 2kg is pretty much 2kg… however, when you squat. That 2kg gets multiplied. The resultant forces in the knees and ankles can be HUGE.

On my leg day (I never skip leg day, by the way ;) )… I rock-bottom squat 60kg as a warm-up… I then move into what I call a “mega set” where I’ll squat 100kg for 40 reps… as I go down, I try to go as low as I did with the 60kg, but you can certainly feel the forces being applied to the knees at that bottom point.
Recently, I’ve been squatting up to 130kg and MAN, it’s a lot of weight to do properly.

Back when I was a much younger man in my 20’s, I could squat for reps with upwards of 200kg on the bar… but, as a 51-year-old, and 19 years of no weight training, my progress isn’t all that rapid. But I’m still very happy with the results (I’ve got quads again! Woo hoo!)
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

basshack

Post by basshack » 20 May 2016, 13:55

So I feel better now. I'm squatting and holding for 3-5secs at a time, 130ish Kg over a 2 hour period including 10m sprints in between the odd squat as an umpire. Who needs a gym!
... dial in some "J" to angry it up!

Got gear but little talent!

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 20 May 2016, 14:42

basshack wrote:So I feel better now. I'm squatting and holding for 3-5secs at a time, 130ish Kg over a 2 hour period including 10m sprints in between the odd squat as an umpire. Who needs a gym!
That's a good workout... Mine's a little more "regimented" but I assure you, that 10 months ago, there's no way I could do what you're doing... Now, I could... However, not much baseball action here in Gladstone :lol:

My nephew in the states, however, is quite the 2nd baseman and is currently considering if he wishes to pursue baseball in uni.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 20 May 2016, 15:24

basshack wrote:
RedVee wrote:I'm pretty keen to (re)focus onto my health including losing weight.
A few reasons, most are pretty standard and obvious. But another has raised its ugly head.

I went to the Rhuemy for my FMS/CFS checkup and I mentioned that my left knee is getting more painful, not unbearable by any means, but stairs are getting awkward. Anyway he gave my knee a play, and went over the last couple of MRI results from my file notes and comes out with "the arthritis is getting worse, but you don't need a knee replacement... yet". What?!?

Anyway anyone have any experience on knees & arthritis?

Also, he suggested that a 3Kg weight drop will reduce the stress through the knee by some rediculously large figure. 120kgs I think. Any ideas on how that works?
I'm probably further down the track than you. Had a tear in the meniscus and went under the knife. Left that too long and wore away the cartilage, got cleaned up but dealing with the repercussions. My Ortho told me the same thing. Lose the kg or face a knee replacement sooner, because I will need one down the track. The way he explained it is that it's about point loading. You've got a lot of weight bearing down on a joint that has a very small surface area. A little bit off makes a big difference to what the bearing weight is.

I'm umpiring baseball each weekend now and converting fat into muscle. Moving it from my tummy to my legs. Still not doing my knee any favours with all the squatting but much stronger around it which is helping. Still a lot more fat to lose, can't convert it all. I've just got to cut down what I eat, get out from behind the desk and exercise more.
Hi Blaine
My meniscus is ok, my damage is mainly on the patella, bit of cartilage as well of course.

He reckons 3kgs off will do wonders. I'd like about 16 off, I'll start at 3 :) .
My biggest weight challenge is with the forklift.... I lift the fork too much.
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 20 May 2016, 17:51

Interesting findings released today regarding insulin secretion molecules. The abnormality in this area of down syndrome sufferers is extraordinarily similar to those of type two diabetics.

It certainly explains why down syndrome sufferers are almost always overweight and suffer so many other (life shortening) health issues. The key difference here is they inherit the genetic anomaly.
Last edited by Petebass on 20 May 2016, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

basshack

Post by basshack » 20 May 2016, 21:00

I'm aiming for another 15kg this year. Still very overweight but I've put 5 holesin my belt since I got serious about cutting out the junk and the cola. I'm not sure I could stop sugar like you Pete but I've cut it down heaps.
... dial in some "J" to angry it up!

Got gear but little talent!

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 20 May 2016, 21:46

basshack wrote:I'm aiming for another 15kg this year. Still very overweight but I've put 5 holesin my belt since I got serious about cutting out the junk and the cola. I'm not sure I could stop sugar like you Pete but I've cut it down heaps.
5 belt holes is a fantastic effort! Well done!
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 21 May 2016, 07:56

basshack wrote:I'm aiming for another 15kg this year. Still very overweight but I've put 5 holesin my belt since I got serious about cutting out the junk and the cola. I'm not sure I could stop sugar like you Pete but I've cut it down heaps.
Wow, that's great.

I dropped 20kgs after my Hashimotos Thyroid was discovered and controlled. But that was some years ago now. Since then I've bounced between that weight down to 5kgs less without being able to go lower, or to stick to the lower weight.

The Chronic Fatigue limits my excercise, if I push it I crash and end up as sick as a dog for a week. SoI have to stick to a very moderate level.

From experience cutting the starchy carbs is the most effective diet for my weight loss. Excercise I can tolerate walking best, but use some 5kgs hand weights- but not as consistently as I should. I have recently been granted a stand up desk and I building up my standing time gradually.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 16 Jun 2016, 19:11

I heard cigarettes being called 'coffin nails' today. Fitting reference.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 16 Jun 2016, 19:29

Excellent description of the effects of grains on the gut lining, and its role in autoimmune disease.

https://www.cabothealth.com.au/problem-gluten-grains/
If you have an autoimmune disease, grains are not your friend. Grain free diets have gained popularity in recent years. For instance, the paleo diet is a grain-free diet, and also popular low carb, high fat diets exclude grains. These diets are often labelled as fad diets in the media.

For people with autoimmune disease they are not a fad; staying away from grains can enable significant health improvements. Fortunately you won’t miss out on anything by excluding grains from your diet. Every nutrient found in grains can be easily obtained from other foods.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 17 Jun 2016, 06:59

^ I'll look into that a bit more. As a rule I don't like cutting anything entirely out, except as a control - like in an exclusion diet.

I had an 'incident' while driving a little while ago and my Dr alerted me to the 3 month no drive rule. Been a bit off since.
Anyway my raft of neuro tests found nothing amiss, or at least nothing much worse than previous. :)
Now I'm up for heart checks.
So, I still have a month of 'no drive' to go, but that could be open ended depending on the Cardio results.

Hence my non comital to the Sydney GTG. I just don't know what's going on.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 17 Jun 2016, 11:52

The other day I performed 3 reps at 200kg for dead lift at the end of my leg training (5 sets of squats and 3 sets of dead lifts, 10 squats jumps between each set). I'm pretty stoked about that.

I also set a new 500m row PB of 1:43.7 ... this was ALSO at the end of that same workout... needless to say, it was an awesome workout that day.

My current weight is still around 95kg... I really need to start eating a bit cleaner...

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 17 Jun 2016, 13:20

PilbaraBass wrote:The other day I performed 3 reps at 200kg for dead lift at the end of my leg training
That's an awesome lift, Kerry - well done. How's your grip strength at that weight - are you using straps, a reverse grip, or just some chalk?

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 17 Jun 2016, 14:43

^on rep 3 I could barely hold on.. no straps... and I'm using a thick grip for training (not a standard bar) which makes it more difficult. No chalk available at the gym, or I'd use it... I've used it before in the past, and it helps heaps with the sweat.

If I went beyond this weight, I'd consider using chalk and a normal bar. I'm trying to stay away from straps, though. I don't specifically train my forearms, so deadlifts, pull-ups and dumbell rows are really the only work they get.

Also, I don't use a support belt or anything on my knees... at least not for the current time.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 17 Jun 2016, 16:46

If your gym won't allow chalk, there is a clear liquid grip in a small plastic squeeze bottle that I find useful for deadlifts and pullups - you squirt a couple of drops on your hands, rub it in, and it stays dry and grippy for the duration of your workout.

This type of stuff ... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BEAL-PURE-GR ... 1979849977

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals