hearing in bass?

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
Lukas86

hearing in bass?

Post by Lukas86 » 20 Nov 2008, 00:53

Hey all,
I sort of still count myself as a fairly 'newbie' although I have been playing for 3+ years. After about 6 months of playing and getting lessons, I started realising that all the music and songs I listen to, even on radio etc, I was starting to really listen out for the bass (although this was unintentional). Now, I can't really help it, but when I hear songs, I dissect them into bass, drums, guitar, keys...whatever.

Anyone else had this? Maybe it from learning songs, and really having to focus on the bass to work out the line, Im not sure. Or maybe now my ears are trained to listen out for it. Im not saying its a totally bad thing, but just a something I experience.

mkat

Re: hearing in bass?

Post by mkat » 20 Nov 2008, 01:43

You've trained your ears to do it. I don't really practice anymore, just write and record and have been out of the live scene for a number of years so my chops and and so on aren't that good now. I dissected instruments from a young age, before I started playing. Once did start playing, I'd interchange through various interesting sections in a song, lot's of people do this. It's a good thing to dissect the various instruments 'cause it gives you a glimpse of the player's view and feel for playing that particular instrument on that song which is very different from listening to just one instrument all time (eg. bass). It opens your mind and can make for a better player 'cause you can hear so much more, so more options present themselves for you to express. Once you get a feel for the conversation, understand it a little you get right in there. What you'll notice is that you probably will never listen to music like you did before you started playing... :lol:
Michael
http://mklutherie.com

int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » 20 Nov 2008, 08:16

I think it's got to do with what interests you. You're a bass player you like the sound of your instrument. It comes naturally to want to listen to the bass and see if you can reproduce sounds you like on songs. I was like that when I was a guitar player with guitar lines. When I switched to bass my hear automatically switched to listening to the bass lines instead.

It gets to a point where I only want t listen to bass heavy music when driving in my car. I get tired really fast of music without interesting bass lines.

Soong

Post by Soong » 20 Nov 2008, 14:08

Yep, happens all the time. Sometimes i'll make a Roman Numeral chordal analysis in my head when i hear songs...

...Thats when you know you gotta get out more.
Keep in touch with me online!
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram

mkat

Post by mkat » 20 Nov 2008, 17:56

happyslappysoong wrote:Yep, happens all the time. Sometimes i'll make a Roman Numeral chordal analysis in my head when i hear songs...

...Thats when you know you gotta get out more.
...and how you find out that there are so many songs with the same basic chord structure...
Michael

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 20 Nov 2008, 18:28

I wonder just HOW many pop songs have I, II,IV, V, as their chord basis. interestingly- if U listen to VERY old-I mean some of the EARLIEST recordings of native ppls many of their songs have this structure also- our ears/brains actually find these harmoniously more pleasing... I'm NO expert on this-by a LOOOONG shot, but I do remember a tutor explaining it to me mathematically also!!! How these chords have more combining harmonies than others etc... & so sound more pleasing to out ears naturally....

OT... Yeah I've heard BASS in songs from an early age also!! Good on YA!
Mean & Surly

Soong

Post by Soong » 21 Nov 2008, 09:37

rodl2005 wrote:I wonder just HOW many pop songs have I, II,IV, V, as their chord basis. interestingly- if U listen to VERY old-I mean some of the EARLIEST recordings of native ppls many of their songs have this structure also- our ears/brains actually find these harmoniously more pleasing... I'm NO expert on this-by a LOOOONG shot, but I do remember a tutor explaining it to me mathematically also!!! How these chords have more combining harmonies than others etc... & so sound more pleasing to out ears naturally....

OT... Yeah I've heard BASS in songs from an early age also!! Good on YA!
The I IV, V are all perfect, ideal for harmony but gets annoying quick!

Its part of the reason i don't listen to the radio anymore and hide in my room playing old school motown at bull blast... :ninja:
Keep in touch with me online!
Facebook
YouTube
Instagram

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 21 Nov 2008, 10:21

i know WHAERE u ARE COMIN FROM damn caps!!! I aint saying I LIKE the 1,4,5 stuff all the time- a lotta motwown has tose in 'em as the basis too!!! But I'm just saying those harmonies -as U say are "prefect" & trigger a 'harmonious' reponse in our brains- providing they still work.. Just gotta go kick start mine! ;-)
Mean & Surly

Mikey

Post by Mikey » 21 Nov 2008, 16:31

I dissect music the same way. I can't help it. It's part of being a musician I think.

I'm also a photographer and video producer by trade. Consequently I dissect everything I see into different elements too... movies, ads, TV shows, photos, etc. I break them all down into composition, lighting, colour choices, acting, direction, plot, script, etc.

It can be frustrating sometimes because it's not always intentional and I can't stop myself. It makes it hard to find movies, photos, and music that I really like! My friends will come out of a movie thinking it's wonderful and I'm usually the black sheep who thinks it could have been better.

Kara

Post by Kara » 22 Nov 2008, 12:01

Yep i do this too. My brother, who's a drummer, does it as well. If we're listening to something together, we're both always going "Did you hear that really cool drum/bass part?" and more often than not, he can't hear the bass part i'm talking about, and i totally missed the drum part he pointed out.

Like already mentioned, i think dissecting all the different parts of music makes you more aware of all the little intricate things you would of otherwise missed. I don't think it happens just with music too, because i'm a sewer and make all my own clothes, whenever i'm out shopping with someone i'm always turning things inside out and seeing how they're constructed to get a better understanding of how the pieces work together.

mkat

Post by mkat » 22 Nov 2008, 14:49

It's great to hear interaction between the other players in a band which comes from them listening to what's going on, to each other. Writing and arranging depends on it. For example, this is one reason why jazz and the forms stemming from it have produced such phenomenal players and bands. Although there is a structure and basic arrangement, there is a freedom to move there. A lot of music, so called popular music, is so structured, processed and bland it actually steers right away from any improvisation or really avoids development of possibilities.
Michael

Derek_L

Post by Derek_L » 23 Nov 2008, 11:16

Kara wrote:Yep i do this too. My brother, who's a drummer, does it as well. If we're listening to something together, we're both always going "Did you hear that really cool drum/bass part?" and more often than not, he can't hear the bass part i'm talking about, and i totally missed the drum part he pointed out.

Like already mentioned, i think dissecting all the different parts of music makes you more aware of all the little intricate things you would of otherwise missed. I don't think it happens just with music too, because i'm a sewer and make all my own clothes, whenever i'm out shopping with someone i'm always turning things inside out and seeing how they're constructed to get a better understanding of how the pieces work together.
mm, may sound stupid but I really wish I could know more about everything just so I can analyze and appreciate everything more, haha.
G&L = <3

Kara

Post by Kara » 23 Nov 2008, 13:10

Haha, me too Derek! Although i guess one of the downsides to knowing heaps about everything, is that you can get too wrapped up in the details and intricacies of things and are then unable to just take them as they are without dissecting it.

I think dissecting everything and anything 100% of the time would definitely do my head in though!