Political Coverage By the Media in Our Country - PART TWO

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
packrat

Re: Political Coverage By the Media in Our Country - PART TWO

Post by packrat » 22 Jun 2018, 20:40

And did the Manus days book report the prostitution ring set up the subcontracted guards who ran the camp, or did it only talk about how awful the refugees were so the guards felt better?

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 22 Jun 2018, 22:10

Didn't mention it specifically, but did say they saw/heard how the transferees paid locals for such services.
I see..............basses!

packrat

Post by packrat » 22 Jun 2018, 23:22

noplanb wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 22:10
Didn't mention it specifically, but did say they saw/heard how the transferees paid locals for such services.
The guards controlled all food and stuff in the camp and this wasn't the locals who were involved.

B>

veebass

Post by veebass » 23 Jun 2018, 04:30

Now there's a surprise. A book written by one of the guards that seems to blame the detainees for the problems. Excuse me if I don't take it as gospel.

More importantly, how could we even know the truth? Disgraceful as the situation brought about by the relatively recent policy change by Jeff Sessions on the US/ Mexican Boarder is, the American people appear to have been provided with something our Liberal Governments have denied us. Media access.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 23 Jun 2018, 08:25

veebass wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 04:30
Now there's a surprise. A book written by one of the guards that seems to blame the detainees for the problems. Excuse me if I don't take it as gospel.

More importantly, how could we even know the truth? Disgraceful as the situation brought about by the relatively recent policy change by Jeff Sessions on the US/ Mexican Boarder is, the American people appear to have been provided with something our Liberal Governments have denied us. Media access.
That in itself tells me more about the type of democracy the libs believe in. Not the will of the people but their own unfettered power.

veebass

Post by veebass » 23 Jun 2018, 08:29

ozrider wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 08:25
veebass wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 04:30

That in itself tells me more about the type of democracy the libs believe in. Not the will of the people but their own unfettered power.
Yes, where a $10 a week tax cut is seen as an election winner. Pitiful.

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 23 Jun 2018, 10:14

packrat wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 23:22
noplanb wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 22:10
The guards controlled all food and stuff in the camp and this wasn't the locals who were involved.

B>
Well., the book never said that. Security was separate to catering, and would've been run by the head contracting body. Locals were mentioned as those who actually cooked and moved foodstuffs. I'm not seeing your point here?

packrat

Post by packrat » 23 Jun 2018, 12:43

The point is that these are guards running illegal offshore detention camps who were caught out soliciting sex from their capitives and who are part of a long-running attempt to conceal what's happening (see the denials that there were any children in the camps being slowly walked back)

The fact that the term "illegal immigrant" has entered the popular vocabulary thanks to constant media and political use of the term in relation to asylum seekers is nothing short of disgusting.

B>

veebass

Post by veebass » 23 Jun 2018, 13:55

packrat wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 12:43

The fact that the term "illegal immigrant" has entered the popular vocabulary thanks to constant media and political use of the term in relation to asylum seekers is nothing short of disgusting.

B>
And used by members of the government in an official capacity even though it is against our international responsibilities, as I understand it.

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 23 Jun 2018, 13:57

denials that there were any children in the camps
The book only covered this particular security person's tenure - during which time there were no refugee women or children there.
The 'transferees' were called just that - pending verification of asylum status.

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 23 Jun 2018, 14:09

A book written by one of the guards that seems to blame the detainees for the problems.
May I humbly suggest you reserve it to read at your local library?
Sure, it gives things from the security staff viewpoint, but if you think about it, they are least likely to have any overriding political motive. Others such as social workers and journalists do have ideological barrows to push. Representative lawyers are barrows for hire to highest bidder.
What went on had many factors - PNG Police, PNG sub-contracted staff, case-workers, AU-origin security staff, PNG-origin security staff, then on to the various power groups within the transferrees with their own leaders, ring-leaders and serial trouble-makers; then things like prowess with social media, overseas contacts, and those that could use wealth to influence outcomes. No saints, no all-black, no all-white.

packrat

Post by packrat » 23 Jun 2018, 14:53

Actually, the security people have been dealing with them and their companies being shunned for their involvement in illegal concentration camps. They are about the only people not getting away with this horror, so I don't buy their lack of a motive in painting things like this.

B>

veebass

Post by veebass » 23 Jun 2018, 14:59

noplanb wrote:
23 Jun 2018, 14:09
A book written by one of the guards that seems to blame the detainees for the problems.
May I humbly suggest you reserve it to read at your local library?
Sure, it gives things from the security staff viewpoint, but if you think about it, they are least likely to have any overriding political motive. Others such as social workers and journalists do have ideological barrows to push. Representative lawyers are barrows for hire to highest bidder.
What went on had many factors - PNG Police, PNG sub-contracted staff, case-workers, AU-origin security staff, PNG-origin security staff, then on to the various power groups within the transferrees with their own leaders, ring-leaders and serial trouble-makers; then things like prowess with social media, overseas contacts, and those that could use wealth to influence outcomes. No saints, no all-black, no all-white.
You may.

It is very common for the oppressor to blame the oppressed.

Maybe those professionals working with the detainees agenda was to help the detainees.

Maybe the journalists agenda was to inform the public about something the government had banned access to and put non disclosure agreements on the health professionals..

How did the guard get permission to write the book? The author have any political affiliations? Any connections to right wing groups at all?

veebass

Post by veebass » 23 Jun 2018, 15:22