Political Coverage By the Media in Our Country - PART TWO

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
PilbaraBass

Re: Political Coverage By the Media in Our Country - PART TWO

Post by PilbaraBass » 07 Dec 2017, 14:20

Petebass wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 14:16
Has anyone else noticed how many journalists and broadcasters have trouble pronouncing "citizenship". Even someone as politically savvy as Patricia Karlelas on ABC seems to say "cissssenship".

And don't get me started on Ita Buttrose :)
lol... try that with a lisp... Thithhhhhenthip 8/
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

veebass

Post by veebass » 08 Dec 2017, 06:45

vin-tone wrote:
07 Dec 2017, 13:38
^^IMO That's for the electorate to decide. John Alexander byelection is a good example. See how it goes.
I don't think either of them actually live in the electorate, unless Alexander has bought something else recently. My understanding is that Kenneally lives just outside the electorate (800m) and closer than Alexander., who is living at his partner's place in Bondi until the new $5M country estate at Moss vale is ready. Oh, there was some chat about him buying something smaller in Bennelong as well.

BTW a read of the first linked article gives an understanding of how Alexander became so well acquainted with Sydney's housing affordability crisis and how well qualified he has come to be an outspoken champion for those struggling to get into the market.

http://www.theland.com.au/story/4721764 ... e/?cs=4963

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-14/k ... on/9147640
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

veebass

Post by veebass » 08 Dec 2017, 07:08

Anyone catch The Bolt Report 4 December about the then unnamed government MP who was going to defect? I can't stand Bolt obviously, but there is some interesting stuff in that episode.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/politics ... plain.html

Here is a link to the audio (I can't find the video). It is the first 9 minutes of the 4 December episode.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/shows/sky- ... olt-report

Apparently Turnbull complained about Boltbehind his back to his boss for making this up. Christensen has since confirmed it was him so Bolt didn't make it up. Bolt doesn't miss Turnbull.

Turnbull also managed to attack the ABC three times in his interview with Leigh Sales last night ( I think there is a rule for Ministers appearing on the ABC that they must attack the ABC). He even gave her one of the ugly sneers he usually gives Shorten or puts on his face when he says the word "union".

It is getting really hard to be in the room when Turnbull is on the TV at present- very unpleasant.

Later in the episode Credlin and Bolt discuss the "unusual" situation where Huang's number two is now working for the Liberal Party's Bennelong campaign. Remember the government still hasn't said how they found out what they allege Dastyari said to Huang, despite Labor asking the question in parliament. Obviously, the mainstream media has no interest in the issue other than impaling Dastyari because they haven't asked the question..

veebass

Post by veebass » 08 Dec 2017, 07:34

Maybe Brandis will refer Cash as well. :rolf:

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stor ... tee_071217

Maybe this will get to the bottom of how the government became aware of Dastari's alleged behaviour, but I doubt it.

veebass

Post by veebass » 08 Dec 2017, 08:33

Next time Turnbull and Morrison want to tell you what a good job they are doing getting big companies to pay tax and how they are protecting us from overseas interference, remember these stories.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... etherlands

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-aust ... SKBN1E11FN

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 08 Dec 2017, 12:37

vin-tone wrote:
^^IMO That's for the electorate to decide. John Alexander byelection is a good example. See how it goes.
Neither of the candidates live in the electorate. JA used to, but he sold his house in the electorate a couple of years ago and moved in with one of his girlfriends in the eastern suburbs (JA is quite the pants man - the Bill Shorten of the Libs). Kristina sold her house at Pagewood and is renting in Hunters Hill (where Eddie Obeid lived until he went to the big house), which is also outside the electorate.

At least when Maxine McHugh beat little Johnny she had bought a house in the electorate - although she sold it immediately after losing the next one, and moved elsewhere.

And yes - this is my electorate

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

veebass

Post by veebass » 08 Dec 2017, 13:02

Aussie Mark wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 12:37
vin-tone wrote:
Neither of the candidates live in the electorate. JA used to, but he sold his house in the electorate a couple of years ago and moved in with one of his girlfriends in the eastern suburbs (JA is quite the pants man - the Bill Shorten of the Libs). Kristina sold her house at Pagewood and is renting in Hunters Hill (where Eddie Obeid lived until he went to the big house), which is also outside the electorate.

At least when Maxine McHugh beat little Johnny she had bought a house in the electorate - although she sold it immediately after losing the next one, and moved elsewhere.

And yes - this is my electorate
It was my electorate for many years too (over half my life). Still have friends and family there.
I linked some info about where the candidates live above earlier.

Why do people have a need to mention Eddie Obeid in the same breath as Kenneally?
I am sure if I try I can find some crims who live in Bondi, where Alexander is at present, or from Mossvale where he has bought a lovely $5M spread, while he preaches about the housing affordability crisis in Sydney.

ICAC didn't only nail Labor guys and it praised Kenneally for her evidence.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 08 Dec 2017, 13:30

veebass wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 13:02
Why do people have a need to mention Eddie Obeid in the same breath as Kenneally?
To make this thread less one-eyed? :peep:

JA made a lot of money from being a top notch international sportsperson and then a TV commentator - he's entitled to buy the biggest house he likes if he can afford it. One of your former pollies made a lot of money from being a rock star, and I bet he's not living in a tent either. Good on both of them as far as I'm concerned - it's not fair to bag them for having been successful in life before they entered politics.

That said, I'm not a fan of JA at all - he's a sleazeball.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 08 Dec 2017, 13:54

Having a big expensive house and being a champion for housing affordability only seems hypocritical on the surface, in reality it takes some degree of empathy to fight for something you'll never suffer though. That or political manoeuvring... but what's new? He's a politician.

Or perhaps he wanted 60 hectares for his $5 mil and that's what really spurred him on to issue the rallying cry of housing affordability? :poke:
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 08 Dec 2017, 14:10

do we really need the Queen's representative to OK legislation that both houses passed. Really? what is the friggin point? what if the Queen said no?
Time to get rid of the GG and every state Governor, they add nothing but extreme costs for no real value. Apart from keeping classical quartets in gigs,what else do they add?
REPUBLIC time !
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

veebass

Post by veebass » 08 Dec 2017, 15:28

Aussie Mark wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 13:30
veebass wrote:
08 Dec 2017, 13:02
To make this thread less one-eyed? :peep:

JA made a lot of money from being a top notch international sportsperson and then a TV commentator - he's entitled to buy the biggest house he likes if he can afford it. One of your former pollies made a lot of money from being a rock star, and I bet he's not living in a tent either. Good on both of them as far as I'm concerned - it's not fair to bag them for having been successful in life before they entered politics.

That said, I'm not a fan of JA at all - he's a sleazeball.
I was being stirred for not posting a day or so ago. . ;)
I also seem to remember this thread full of criticism for Gillard and Rudd a while back.
Sorry, the "politics of envy" line doesn't wash with me ever.
In Turnbull's case, he has no idea of what life is like on Centrelink benefits or working a low paid casual job and having virtually nothing left after the rent, So it is justified IMO that people on both sides of politics call him Mr Harbourside Mansion.
In JA's case, it's obviously not just what he made from being a tennis star etc yonks ago that he has used to buy his $5M spread near his mate, AJ.
The article I linked earlier says he made the best part of a $Million on the house he just sold (had it for 5 or 6 years).
The purchase follows Mr Alexander's sale of his Putney home in his federal electorate last December for $2.7 million, well up on the $1,845,000 he paid for it in 2010.
My criticism was that he is preaching about how bad housing affordability is in Sydney and has personally made almost 50% profit on his property in that market 5 or 6 years. Is he only one? No. But for mine his concern is hollow.

As for Kenneally and Obeid. If she was a crook she would have been charged, along with the rest of them. It is dog whistling. Like Shorten the crook, Dastyari the traitor.
Too much of that going on at present.

veebass

Post by veebass » 08 Dec 2017, 16:37

Have a read of this and tell me what a good idea independents, small parties and Turnbull's stupid DD was again,
We could end up with another Hanson drongo.
What a mess.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stor ... bie_081217

veebass

Post by veebass » 08 Dec 2017, 17:08

Joyce has confirmed he has split with his wife. It is all in the timing.
What was mark saying about John Alexander and Bill Shorten? From what I hear they are amateurs compared to Barnababble.

http://www.news.com.au/national/politic ... 4db766be98

veebass

Post by veebass » 09 Dec 2017, 08:40

Here I go again being biased. There is just too much material.

While the government is so busy being concerned about foreign government interference and who are "patriots" (Andrew Robb) and who are "traitors" (Sam Dastyari), it seems to have missed the multinationals that are actually robbing us blind. Everyone has seen the stories of these massive companies avoiding tax, so I won't link a whole lot of stories about that..

Here is one even better. Overseas privately owned, multinational hoover of services that should be publicly delivered and pet of conservative governments, Serco made over a $Billion last year in Australia actually doing contract work for governments and paid $3.5 Million in tax, as I understand it. Serco is not "just" avoiding tax. It is doing it on government contracts.

What is the federal government's response?

Reward them by giving them another $51 Million contract with Centrelink, which is obviously the start of something much bigger in Centrelink.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... firm-found

veebass

Post by veebass » 09 Dec 2017, 12:10

China upset about Turnbull insulting them to play domestic politics.
Who could have predicted Malcolm insulting the Chinese could have implications? Everyone.
As I have been saying, if the government has genuine concerns about Dastyari handle them properly and not through leaks to their friends in the newspaper.
How did the newspapers get onto this, BTW?
Must be Shorten's fault.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/ ... 7511466ab1

http://www.abc.net.au/.../china-lodges- ... ../9242630