Erics lightweight bass cabs in Sydney

Basses, Amps, Accessories etc...
Petebass

Re: Erics lightweight bass cabs in Sydney

Post by Petebass » 04 Sep 2012, 20:51

Yep, get the Deltalite 2512 in a cab that size.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

john holiday

Post by john holiday » 10 Apr 2015, 14:41

Hi,

I looked at all imported 1x12" cab options and then settled on Erics 1x12" with a 300Watt Celestion green back Neo speaker + switchable tweeter. 11kg
Just used it for rehearsal and it is very very good. It is all I need now for small to medium size gigs, so my Mark bass 4x10F goes onto ebay, I will also get rid of my Roland 100 watt cube rehearsal amp.

Very impressed with the sound, clear highs and nice deep lows and great value for money. I give 4.5 out 5.

Warren - Sydney

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 10 Apr 2015, 15:00

Is that an old school Roland Cube 100?
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 10 Apr 2015, 21:44

I'd like to know about the Roland too. Which colour?
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Suitable

Post by Suitable » 02 Jan 2017, 07:49

Hi all,

Was going to start a new thread but stumbled on this so I'll bump it up instead...

Any further news on these cabs? I'm looking at one of the sealed 2x12's as an option. Anyone tried them out? With either or some or all of the speakers mentioned they can be loaded with? Also, what timber are they made out of if anyone knows? I know he claims/states he has put them up against many 4x10's and his 2x12s kill em (basically... Not his exact words but close enough), wondering if this is true or just a sales pitch?

Thanks heaps in advance!
Great deals with Steve77 & B_jamin! Top blokes :thumbup:

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 02 Jan 2017, 07:58

As a general principle, for 2x12 it is easier to get clean depth, than with 4x10. The latter traditionally gets much better efficiency and power handling given using 4 drivers, but the more recent 12" drivers have improved efficiency, so can give 4x10 a run for their money, and in a more convenient enclosure.
All subject to actual users opinion! ;)
I see..............basses!

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 02 Jan 2017, 08:20

I vote for sales pitch. From what I've seen, he doesn't seem to know much about the science of cab design.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 02 Jan 2017, 08:44

Oh - just noticed I missed that the 2x12s were in a non-reflex box - definitely will lose bottom, unless a huge box.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 02 Jan 2017, 08:45

Petebass wrote:I vote for sales pitch. From what I've seen, he doesn't seem to know much about the science of cab design.
This. As I understand it he's been building guitar cabs for a long time and decided he'd add bass cabs to his product range. But an open backed guitar cab is a far less complicated thing acoustically than a decent bass cab

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

Suitable

Post by Suitable » 02 Jan 2017, 11:22

Sweet! Thanks for the responses and info!

I definitely agree with the extra amount of science that's needed in the design with making a bass cab vs a "standard" guitar cab, they are completely two very different animals!

Did anyone get around to trying them (the 2x12's, not 1x12 etc) out at all though? I'm in North Queensland so there's no chance I can go try before buying one so wondering if any of the Sydney/NSW people have tried?

I've been researching cabs and it seems the Ampeg SVT 210AV cabs get pretty good reviews for a sealed cab (granted, Ampeg designed the speakers with Eminence specifically for those sealed cabs). With that in mind, I am thinking that these EB Cabs could be along those lines (possibly a bit of wishful thinking lol) with the right speakers. (Ie Would be nice to buy Aussie made if possible).

I do wonder why there hasn't been any videos made comparing his cabs by the bassist he designed the cab for to other cabs as claimed? Bit strange there... I'm thinking someone must have tried one since this thread was started ~a year ago+?

Regarding the low end roll off, could that be boosted with an eq pedal or rack eq etc? Or is that's what the boost/cut switch on the back of the cab is for/does? Who knows?!?

Thanks heaps for the help, advice & info!
Great deals with Steve77 & B_jamin! Top blokes :thumbup:

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 02 Jan 2017, 18:19

Regarding the low end roll off, could that be boosted....?
Usual story - you don't get something for nothing.
1. The EQ you would use needs to (counter-)match the roll-off curve of the drivers in the given box. This kind of EQ is built into some professional PA (and other) systems - it has to be pretty specific as regards pole frequency, rate of increase, and amplitude of increase. Just 'turning up some bass' will create mud.
2. Even if you did achieve the above, you effectively de-rate the power handling and head-room of your amp, compared to a cabinet that had decent gain at low frequencies. In other words, because you are missing gain at the low end, you now may boost that range by say 6dB or so at the maximum - but the rest of your signal stays the same. So your amp is now working (almost) as though the whole signal was 6dB higher, but for the same volume. So your 100dB (say) cabinet is now only 94dB - you'll need an amp 4 times as powerful to get the same volume, for that cab, provided the drivers can take it!
(There might be better ways of explaining this)

weemac

Post by weemac » 08 Feb 2017, 18:55

I have the 1x12 neo cab for my LB30 it suits it very well. I had it in the cab shootout a few years ago. The consensus was (I think) that it moved plenty of air but was not as refined sounding as cabs that cost a lot more...
So value for money, it gets a big Yes! But there are better cabs out there if your pockets are deep.

I love it!

Eden.
Endorser of Cave Passive Pedals (just so you know)
BMR: Blorf My Rig!

Oh! And I woz the chap behind Polymack Basses....

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 08 Feb 2017, 19:18

Eric builds the cases for the Valvetone amps as well (heads anyway).
I enquired about a case build but it was a bit more than I expected, so that's on a back burner.
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

Bluesfunkbassman

Post by Bluesfunkbassman » 16 Mar 2017, 10:09

Hi guys
I have one of them bins as you guys have discussed. I have the Eminence Delta's and that box is a godsend as far as transporting is concerned.
I've been using this weekly in a blues/funk band, with a Genz Shuttle 6.2 sitting happily on top and this baby cranks. Of course I would prefer bigger as the 600 bin is ok, but the head clips at a solid volume although it my sound and volume isnt affected and I get through the gigs ok, and that bloody lead guitarist is a loud player. He uses the Gibson 335's and SG's through a Soldano stack.
My set up is as I've stated, and my gats are a Squier classic vibe Jazz with fitted EMG JVX's which gives me the perfect sound for whatever genre I play, and a Ibanez 1205 Soundgear which I've owned for 21 years in mint condition. The Squier gets used most of the time.
I have also purchased a Bugera Veyron head from the States at way below the cost from retailers here, lets say around $500 to $600 cheaper...That beast is supposed to push out at least 1000 watts peak and 4 to 6oo watts continuous...We will see.

ZonStatusAria

Post by ZonStatusAria » 15 Jun 2018, 10:31

also keen to know about his 2x12 bass cabs i am interested in buying one.