Review of modified bass pedal available from local amp maker.

Basses, Amps, Accessories etc...
Slapfest62

Review of modified bass pedal available from local amp maker.

Post by Slapfest62 » 30 Apr 2016, 18:30

There's an aust guy on ebay that is modifying and selling Boss Bass Overdrive pedals - ODB3.
he also makes and sells his own hand wired valve amps
And it was the valve amp building and general circuitry and component knowledge required for it,
that got me over the line on this deal
I mean, lets face it, only an idiot would buy a totally modified pedal on ebay , having no idea what it sounded like , right?
And thats exactly what this idiot did, after wading for months through hundreds of hours, of hundreds of you tube pedal demos and reviews of drive and distortion for bass.
For some strange reason, I chose the "blind date" pedal buy option .

This pedal now ranges from slight to average overdrive right through to a really musical synthy drive , which sounds great. The 2 band eq is more than adequate, and is transparent in the 12 o'clock position
with masses of cut or boost on hand, either way.
The drive has huge sustain with absolutely no hiss or fizz, ,
In fact, the whole pedal is really quiet.
He puts an extra knob on the front as well, some sort of gain bleed, which also cuts the highs and sits you in the mix, if needed.
So with the stacked bass and treble controls , you have 6 adjustable parameters to tweak, and it really works .

Its not just the gain bleed knob , he has modified other areas of the circuit,
and changed the entire sound of ODB3, and all in a good way,

One odd thing though . . .in the ad I bought from , he refers several times to amp.amp (I dont know , he's maybe referring to some type of symmetrical distortion , I have no idea)
So anyway, the current listing now refers to amp.amp.amp.amp.amp.amp
(I was obviously ripped off a few amp.amps
I dont know anything about all that, but his customer communication skills are -good,
and the pedal is sweet and has a nice quirky sound that makes me sit there and play it for far longer than I might usually do . . Its a keeper (for me, anyway)
I paid $130 (very reasonable, i thought), but I notice they are now $150. (must be the extra amp.amps)
If anyone considers taking the plunge, let me know, I could send you some audio of the sounds in it, so you know what you would be getting.
I have no dog in this fight ,
I'm not trying to promote this or anything , I was just impressed and thought others might be interested.
You'll find his listing as "Boss ODB3 Bass Overdrive Fuzz Distortion Pedal Mod" on Ebay Aust.

cl8n

Re: Review of modified bass pedal available from local amp maker.

Post by cl8n » 30 Apr 2016, 19:38

Sounds intriguing ... I'd be interested to see what he's done with it. I use my obd3 very, very minimally atm , so would be interesting to see if a mod could turn it into a new favourite toy on the board :hmm
Jazz, T-bird, EB-2, Big Al, Carlo Robelli 8
Warwick LWA1000, Carlsbro, Eden Wt-405, GB Shuttle, Custom 115, GB XB410
Stompable noise makers

Slapfest62

Post by Slapfest62 » 01 May 2016, 14:22

if you want to shoot me an email or something similar, I could send you some audio running through the sounds . . probably wont be today, but i could get it done sometime this week, if you like

cl8n

Post by cl8n » 03 May 2016, 00:57

Sent you a pm with my email ;)
Jazz, T-bird, EB-2, Big Al, Carlo Robelli 8
Warwick LWA1000, Carlsbro, Eden Wt-405, GB Shuttle, Custom 115, GB XB410
Stompable noise makers

jcburn

Post by jcburn » 07 May 2016, 21:04

I've modded 2 ODB3 pedals with the Monte Album mod you can buy on EBay and it really improves the pedal. Takes all the harsh spiky treble sound out and creates a really useable, versatile overdrive.
Not saying there will be similar results with this mod but I have been really satisfied with the mods I've had done. I feel the stock pedal was a one trick pony.
Last edited by jcburn on 08 May 2016, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
'97 G&L L2000. '95 G&L L2000. Fender Frank Bello. Yamaha TRB4
Warwick Quad VI. Warwick Tubepath 5.1. Hartke LH500.
Ashdown ABM 410 x 2
Line 6 G30. Dunlop Bass Crybaby Wah. EBS Billy Sheehan Dlx. DSM Noisemaker OCS. BOSS Bass EQ.

Slapfest62

Post by Slapfest62 » 08 May 2016, 14:20

cl8n . I have just received and read your email . . . no problem , some time this week . . .

Slapfest62

Post by Slapfest62 » 08 May 2016, 14:27

cl8n . I have just received and read your email . . . no problem , some time this week . . .

Whedn you look into it , most analog pedals can be improved for bass , I hear the Monte Allum mods are good as well . . . THis guy's mod (when it's wound right up) approaches Fuzz (without the Fizz) , but takes a left turn into synth tones . . but notes are never lost or swamped by usual noise associated with Distortion in the lower range.

Rude_Mechanical

Post by Rude_Mechanical » 08 May 2016, 15:35

My mod notes. Removes fizz and lowers gain.
"Turn everything to 11, dump instruments in front of the amp and manipulate pedals for 5 minutes" - me.