Jade Amps

Basses, Amps, Accessories etc...

Jade Amps

Postby oliver » 25 Nov 2008, 10:57

http://www.jadeaustralia.com.au/

I get these emails of this guy Jona Yt Liu about boss pedals and cheap gear every now and then, I assume I did some dealing with him on ebay at some stage... although I can't remember. Anyway his email mentioned a Jade Australia practice amp "made in Australia" which caught my eye.

Looking at the webpage it seems to be fairly budget, low-grade stuff. Are there any gems in there? Is it a good Australian business we bass players should be supporting?

I'd be interested to know if any of their amps are any good. Even just as practice amps.
oliver

Re: Jade Amps

Postby Petebass » 25 Nov 2008, 12:26

Oliver I think there was a Jade combo at the Sydney GTG - I could be wrong but I thought the little amps bought along by young Ivyman was a Jade? You might want to check with him.

Personally I'm not a fan. Way back when I was learning, these amps were being sold everywhere, but mostly in Record stores that sell a little bit of music gear (you know the ones). Sometimes they were called "Jade", sometimes they were called "Monarch", and sometimes they were "Jade Monarch". Too me they were always cheap and a little bit nasty.

Then I didn't see them for years and years until one day about 3 years ago, I did a gig and the keyboard player turned up with a Jade amp. It distorted badly all night. I figured they hadn't gotten any better........
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ashbory, Alembic loaded SX Jazz
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546
Petebass

Postby Petebass » 25 Nov 2008, 12:28

Hang on a sec, I think Ivyman's amp was actually a Laney, not a Jade............
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ashbory, Alembic loaded SX Jazz
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546
Petebass

Postby oliver » 25 Nov 2008, 18:41

Yeah I was going to say... I don't remember seeing any Jade amp there. My memory is usually pretty good about useless things like that ;)
oliver

Postby Aussie Mark » 25 Nov 2008, 19:56

From memory, back in the 80's, Jade were either manufactured or distributed by Jands. I owned a Jade 4x10 combo at one point circa 1982, and it lasted 3 or 4 gigs before it died.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive

Basses: Nash, Musicman, Gibson, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Vox, Framus
Rig: Ampeg, Genz Benz, Fender, Markbass, Traynor, O'Neill

Endorser: Cave Passive Pedals; O'Neill Amplification
Aussie Mark

Postby 22pauld22 » 25 Nov 2008, 20:26

there bigger stuff has celestion speakers in them .. I don't know what for though
I got a jade guitar amp as part of a buy this get the lot sale ..
I was going to give it to my daughters school but when I played through it .. ewww
they would have sent a note back ' what did we ever do to you?'

they sell alot of stuff to school ..
maton jb4 godin bg5 a double bass and a yammy trb6p
will get a mailloux one day !
22pauld22

Postby Soong » 27 Nov 2008, 08:03

Kinda off topic, but i know Jade Australia also manufacture Martinez Guitars...very nice acoustics!
Endorsing Artist for MTD Kingston Basses
MTD Z5 (All Bartolini) | Warmoth J | Fender US Std PJ | Yamaha TRB1006 | St Antonio Double Bass
Facebook
Youtube
Soong

Postby PilbaraBass » 27 Nov 2008, 15:11

Petebass wrote:Hang on a sec, I think Ivyman's amp was actually a Laney, not a Jade............

for the record...Laney is a UK company...
I have a Laney HCM65 (65W 1x10 combo)...it's not a bad amp...I use it as a foldback amp @ church...I've had it for 3 years and have had no issues except for the fact that the cheap plastic corners (not metal) have failed, but the box is still a rock without them...

I A/B'd this with a Fender combo of similar wattage @ a music shop in Rockhampton and the Laney won...

On the Jade front:

I'm checking out the jade site...actually the gear doesn't look that bad...(I usually judge by the drum kits and the acoustic guitars, these are good indicators, usually)...

I seriously doubt that most of this kit is produced Australia...my guess is that it's 95 - 100% imported.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F

Hillary Clinton wrote:What difference does it make?
PilbaraBass

Postby Nigel » 11 Dec 2008, 21:04

Yep I remember Jade amps, pretty junky, beginner amps. Steer well clear.
Mailloux Custom "Lucky 13", Kala U-Bass, EA Doubler, Barefaced Midget 112, Mojo-Sonic 1x10.
Arrived... Grove 51 P5.
Look what I made...26 scale 5 string viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12037
Nigel

Postby Rude_Mechanical » 22 Dec 2008, 09:13

When I was starting out, I had the Hurricane 250 2x10" combo & a 15" extension cab, which cost me not a lot more than my Trace Elliot Boxer 65 combo. Horrible chipboard (yes, CHIPBOARD) construction, and not a lot of headroom - it was actually 2x 125 W power sections; the second one only kicked in if you used a second cab. The pre-amp crapped out unless the input gain was dialled way down. Cleaned up a lot with a BDDI in front of it, but I got rid of that sucker as soon as I could.

c-
Please don't ask me to make or fix things for you.
Rude_Mechanical

Postby rodl2005 » 22 Dec 2008, 10:47

I bought my Son a Small Guitard amp a JADE STORM 40- I s'pose 40w All s.s. 2x 8" spkrs. It was A BIG step up from most bedroom prac. amps- most kids his age had-this was 8-9 yrs ago, & it actually was LOUD enough to use at a band prac. He had a Digitech GP50 or sumthin' to put B4 it & got some OK sounds outta it(tho he ALWAYS used to nick MY Fender Vibrolux when he could get away with it!!!- thats partly BRAND name at work here tho :-) - So it's STILL working fine & works fine for what it is...... but still- beginner & pretty cheapo stuff IME!
Mean & Surly
rodl2005

Postby tom once dead » 28 Feb 2009, 21:18

Ive got a Jade 80 watt, 15 inch combo sitting in my house, its not mine but my brother in laws. Sounds very nice and tubeish for a solid state, its old and worn out though.
Sweeps n windmills all day long.
http://www.inhailed.com
tom once dead

Postby Stuyvesant » 29 Apr 2009, 15:16

someone offered me a jade 1x15 (150W or something) for $50, I refused (even though I needed a cheap amp) it was absolutely terrible.

one of my local "music" shops (which is just a pawnshop that stocks a mix of half decent medium range guitars + junk stuff) has a bunch of jades, a few times iv used them to test basses and they all sounded absolutely terrible.

not to say there aren't gems out there...
Stuyvesant

Postby toyaforcs » 01 Aug 2009, 03:26

My ancient TRC3 is still hanging around. It was a guitar/bass combo with phase shift (foot pedal) and reverb effects. It had a clean sound. I've tested the speakers and they're still OK. Busted by my own fault for being a %^&* and playing it at full volume. Circuitry no longer available. Sad to hear they've apparently gone downhill.
toyaforcs

Postby Steevo » 01 Aug 2009, 08:08

I'm looking at one I've borrowed off a mate, as I type. It's servicable but its not going to give Behringer any competition.
Basses by: Alembic, Celinder, Musicman, Pedulla, Shuker and Spector
Amps by: Genz Benz, Trace Elliot, Lexicon+Technical Pro
Inebriation by: Merlot, Shiraz and Grenache
Morning after by: Berocca, Lurpak and Dough Boys.
Humiliating photographs by: Facebook
Steevo

Next

Return to Aussie Made gear