DIY Speaker cab and experiment.

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
LimeB

Re: DIY Speaker cab and experiment.

Post by LimeB » 18 Nov 2011, 16:59

Hi Pete, when you do those measurements, is it just plucking one note on one string and taking a tiny "snap shot" of that ? Time is not one of the axis on the graph is it?
If that is the case is it crucial to take the sample at exactly the same time/ decay point?

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 18 Nov 2011, 17:21

LimeB wrote:Hi Pete, when you do those measurements, is it just plucking one note on one string and taking a tiny "snap shot" of that ? Time is not one of the axis on the graph is it?
If that is the case is it crucial to take the sample at exactly the same time/ decay point?
Nah it's much easier than that now. The software sends a sweep if sine waves that starts at 20Hz and finishes at 20K (I can vary these frequencies but that works well for what I'm doing). It measures the response through a calibrated microphone and plots it on a logarithmic graph where dB is one axis and Hz is the other.

The whole thing takes about 5 seconds per sweep :)
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 27 Jul 2013, 09:09

Update. I retired from performing in Jan 2013. At the time these cabs were 2.5 years old and had done many gigs. I'm pleased to say they are still in near-new condition and have easily lived up to the rigors of being carted around from gig to gig.

They aren't being used at the moment - but who's to say I won't make a comeback at some stage? If I do, these will definitely become my go-to cabs. Or maybe my twins will grow up to be musicians? (they are due to be born any day now). If so, they'll surely appreciate the lack of weight of these cabs. I've also found they make great Party speakers and with lots of 40th and 21st in the circle of family and friends, the cabs are still proving useful even though I'm not gigging at the moment. So I'll be hanging on to these cabs :)
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

BassLine

DIY Speaker cab and experiment.

Post by BassLine » 27 Jul 2013, 11:11

^ I'd gladly buy one if you had the itch to make them again..... but as you already said Pete - they take a long time to build, and I wouldn't feel right paying you sweatshop wages.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 19 May 2016, 07:37

Wow, Facebook reminded me today that the fiberglass cab build was 6 years ago! 6 years! Where does the time go? Feels like yesterday.

This cab itself is holding up beautifully, so any discussion about durability of fiberglass Vs wood is 200% settled.

rommelmark

Post by rommelmark » 31 Oct 2017, 08:10

Just finished a 42 liter sandwich cab with a deltalite 2512 and Fender Rumble 350 integrated at the back. 2 cm EXP foam with two layers of 350 gr/m2 of glasfibre with epoxy resin. Strong like hell and only 9.5 kg. Sounds brilliant. Thanks for all the information and discussions which helped a lot.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 31 Oct 2017, 13:00

rommelmark wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 08:10
Just finished a 42 liter sandwich cab with a deltalite 2512 and Fender Rumble 350 integrated at the back. 2 cm EXP foam with two layers of 350 gr/m2 of glasfibre with epoxy resin. Strong like hell and only 9.5 kg. Sounds brilliant. Thanks for all the information and discussions which helped a lot.
Great stuff. Got any pics?

42L seems small for 2512, but thats the beauty of DIY - make it to your own tastes.

rommelmark

Post by rommelmark » 31 Oct 2017, 19:56

My son (17 years old, but more than 6 ft tall) was fed up carrying a heavy 1x12 cab and an amp to rehearsals 3 times a week. He needed some power (one of the bands is a 20 people big band) and wanted a decent sound, lightweight, small and amp integrated. He plays 4 sting bass, so 42L (compromise) should be and proved to be enough (it’s for rehearsals).
PS: I am preparing my next bass cab build. Seems XPS foam can be bended when heated. So round shapes are possible. Nice
Let's see if I am able to copy pictures into this message.

rommelmark

Post by rommelmark » 31 Oct 2017, 20:24

Few more photo's (all I have)

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 31 Oct 2017, 20:53

Looks great mark !

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 31 Oct 2017, 21:38

NotTheFish wrote:
31 Oct 2017, 20:53
Looks great mark !
Agreed, top effort! Is that a Duratex coating? And did you add a grill?

rommelmark

Post by rommelmark » 01 Nov 2017, 03:07

The paint I used is Warnex (water based). Over here in The Netherlands its the most popular paint for cabs (dry in hours, fully firm and solid in 4 days, quite hard and strong). Most probably similar to duratex, but you almost can not get duretex over here in Europe. I used 1 lb of paint, after curing I estimate its something like 0.5 lb of dry paint.
The grill is already added, the 9.5 kg (21 lb) total weight is including the steel grill. But the grill needs rework: color is wrong (my son wants it bare metal or silver), I did not folded the edges (so it is to weak in the middle, ordered a bigger one already and will fold it myself), it is quite heavy (almost 1 lb) but I can not find something suitable in aluminium. Maybe it can be made of glassfibre? Building the cab was time consuming (but fun) and I spend about 200 USD on material (excluding speaker and amp).

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 01 Nov 2017, 06:03

Ah yes, I've done the silver/metal grills in the past and quite like the "industrial" look it gives. What sort of steel is the grill? I suspect it's a mild steel. If so, bare metal will eventually start to rust, so I would be painting it silver to keep it looking nicer for longer. Stainless steel won't rust, but it's usually quite expensive, and much harder to work with and bend.

There's a few different ways to make the grill stronger in the middle. An alternative to bending the edges is to make a timber frame. I also put some rubber stoppers between the grill and front baffle. They stop the grill from bending inwards, but also one in each corner prevents the grill from making any rattling noises.

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 01 Nov 2017, 06:49

I've used foam rubber (black) draught strip under grill edges to kill any buzzes.
Did you place a tube on the port?, or just have the port as is?
I see..............basses!

rommelmark

Post by rommelmark » 04 Nov 2017, 07:51

Finally ready with the grill. Very strong now. Mild steel, so painted the grill

Instead of making a timber frame, I started to make a sandwich frame. The idea was to weave a grill from glasfibre I have laying around. Did some tests, but it is not getting strong enough, keeps flexing like chewing gum. So I dropped this idea.

Cab survived its first gig yesterday :-)