DIY Speaker cab and experiment.

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
Petebass

Re: DIY Speaker cab and experiment.

Post by Petebass » 06 Jan 2011, 05:33

dug dog wrote: I was hoping to clarify one point regarding the info your boat building buddies gave you about joining the panels. Did they say that there was no need to add glass and epoxy to the joints as the fillet would make the joint strong enough by itself?
No, that's back to front. They were suggesting I skip the fillet. Their suggestion was I only had to glue the butt joint, then reinforce it by glassing over the corners.

Feel free to improvise though. I sure did. Just remember that the end result has to be strong AND airtight.

Are you going to start a thread for the build?
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

dug dog

Post by dug dog » 06 Jan 2011, 06:17

Cool. I'm glad I asked for clarification. Is that what you did on your interior joints? I see from the picture that you glued the butt joint and then filleted the interior joint, but I can't tell if you went back later and put some glass cloth and epoxy on top of the fillet.

With luck, I'll be able to get this project rolling again soon and I'll definitely be doing a build thread. There are a couple of things that I'm going to do that are fairly major departure from what's been done so far by you and Zac, so I'm hoping it will all turn out right. There are still a few details for me to work out before I start building, but I definitely have the itch to get going. You can bet my build will see a few of those Wallmates used.

Cheers.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 06 Jan 2011, 08:20

My “inside” joints are different from my “outside” joints. I’m not sure which one you’re asking about so I answer for both.

Inside the cab, the corner joints are basically just a butt joint with a fillet. I used a mixture of resin, hardener, and high density micro-balloons for both the glue and the fillet. This stuff is super strong. It makes epoxy glues like Araldite look like kids stuff! I didn't glass over it later.

Outside is one continuous piece of fiberglass, so there is no joint.

If I was making a cab from prefab panels with glass on both sides, I would:-

1/ glue the butt joint
2/ Outside – round off the edges with sandpaper, than glass over it.
3/ Inside – fillet the joint first, then glass over it.

In steps 2 and 3, I’m trying to avoid making the glass turn hard right angles.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

dug dog

Post by dug dog » 06 Jan 2011, 08:23

Nicely clarified, Pete. Thanks.

thebman

Post by thebman » 09 Mar 2011, 16:11

Hi Pete, just curious, do you think a rack case could be built like this?
would it be strong enough to support the weight of 6-8 rack units?
a generous man devises generous things
and by generosity he shall stand.

Basses: Jazz Basses, always room for more.
Amps: Markbass
Cabs: Got One :-)

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 09 Mar 2011, 16:47

IMO, the requirement for a rack case is a bit different in that its walls don't require the rigidity of a cabinet. Hence, it would seem like a terrible expense and trouble to build a lightweight rack case this way. This is why you see ABS cases on the market. For a DIY, I'd go with a strong frame made from aluminium angle with some cross bracing and screw HDF panels to it.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

thebman

Post by thebman » 09 Mar 2011, 18:36

Thanks PB, agree with the angled frame 100% I was more thinking could I just drop some composite sandwich core material in instead of timber, theirs a few places near me where you can get it in sheets for your own use.
It's more of an aesthetic curiosity ATM.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 09 Mar 2011, 19:23

PilbaraBass wrote:IMO, the requirement for a rack case is a bit different in that its walls don't require the rigidity of a cabinet. Hence, it would seem like a terrible expense and trouble to build a lightweight rack case this way. This is why you see ABS cases on the market. For a DIY, I'd go with a strong frame made from aluminium angle with some cross bracing and screw HDF panels to it.
Good answer! Those ABS cases aren't that strong, but they do a very good job of connecting the plastic to the metal hardware. I'm not sure that you get get the metal hardware to connect to the sandwich panels quite as well. I'm also not sure the finished product will be any lighter than a typical SKB case.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 09 Mar 2011, 19:25

thebman wrote:...theirs a few places near me where you can get it in sheets for your own use.
Can you direct me to some of those places? I'm thinking my next cab build will be done using prefab sheets, but I haven't looked into it too hard yet. Somewhere to start would be cool.

thebman

Post by thebman » 09 Mar 2011, 19:36

Hey Pete, I'll dig through my browser history and get a few web links for you tomorrow, just on my phone at the moment.
Pre fab sheets would make for a much cleaner getaway.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 14 May 2011, 07:33

It's been almost a year since I built this composite cab, so it's probably a good time to report back on the cabs durability and overall performance.

The cab still looks brand new! It looks pretty much the same as it does in the pics I posted when I first finished it, except for the addition of a "Petebass" badge. Admittedly this has been used as my spare/2nd rig on the basis that the lightest gear stays with me and heavier gear gets carted around by our roadies, but it's still had plenty of use at both gigs and rehearsals where I need to cart my own gear around.

I thought I'd post this to put to rest any fears that this sort of construction wont withstand normal use. I don't recommend letting roadies anywhere near it but like I said, who cares about the weight if someone else is going to carry it for you :)

Juan Lauda

Post by Juan Lauda » 19 Jun 2011, 09:49

Hi Pete, I've just read this thread from start to finish and am very impressed. What a great achievement! I wish one (or both) of those cabs had been in at Bass People yesterday when I was trying out some of the commercial 'competition'. Not that there was much left in there... As you've said previously: in a good shop like BP stock moves fast and frequently!
Eleven. Exactly. One louder.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 19 Jun 2011, 18:29

Yeah bass people do a good job of mating people to gear that suits their needs, so yes they sell more than a few cabs. As you know I sometimes help them out when they are short staffed, and it's great because I get to try, and listen to other people try all the cool gear. But I always come back to my own cabs :)

Tim if you want to try these cabs out, shoot me a PM and we will work something out.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 09 Aug 2011, 20:00

Petebass wrote:And here's what the final product weighs in kg:-
9.75kg is pretty light. Everyone that has picked up the cab has been blown away by the lack of weight. However, I'd like to revise the final weigh in. I changed the grill from Mild steel to aluminium. Here's what the cab weighs now:-

8.87kg! I'm STOKED that in into the 8's.....I shaved off 880g by changing that grill, almost a kilo. It has a smaller hole pattern than the previous grill so the cab looks a little different now. It's too dark outside to take decent pics so I'll have to do that another time.
Last edited by Petebass on 09 Aug 2011, 20:06, edited 2 times in total.

jamiesdad

Post by jamiesdad » 09 Aug 2011, 20:05

pete - that is awesome
Tokai / Fender / Ibanez / Fairfield / Cave / MXR / Boss / GK / Schroeder

Forum mod