Amp for Country?

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
kat888

Amp for Country?

Post by kat888 » 06 Jun 2018, 08:03

I play through a Traynor YBA200 and Ampeg SVT212AV 4Ω cab ... or alternatively, through a Darkglass Vintage Ultra OD into the clapped out Peavey Stack of Shite™ at the practice space.

It's just the ticket for noisy rocknroll but it's likely I'm going to be getting into a country jam with a fiddler and thinking maybe I need something cleaner to drive the 212. It would need to be second hand and I don't mind class A/B as class D amps seem to lack 'heft' to my ears and gut.
Thunderbirds are GO

Thunderbirds: Cataldo NR41KB : Orville/90
Electronics: Traynor YBA200 + Ampeg SVT212AV

jamiesdad

Re: Amp for Country?

Post by jamiesdad » 06 Jun 2018, 08:06

if you are looking for us to enable a new amp purchase ... absolutely you need one (but probably not)
Friendly Forum Mod

kat888

Post by kat888 » 06 Jun 2018, 08:36

I've quit TB and felt the need to blather about shite for a bit. Agreed I don't need one, but it never hurts to canvas the possibilities. The Traynor doesn't do clean -- bags of golden molten caramel overdrive at pretty much any volume. I'm definitely in the Bassman tone camp. Don't get along with Ampeg at all.
Thunderbirds are GO

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 06 Jun 2018, 09:24

Before you shell out for a new Amp, maybe invest in a service for the Traynor. The OP valves could be a bit tired, or it could just need a good overall service; especially if it's one of the first gen 200's, as the auto bias in them was a bit prone to issues.
I've played a lot of Country (both trad & modern) & Alt Americana in the past; IMO the tone of these Amps would be cool for that sort of stuff, & I can't recall too many gigs I did in that genre without PA support that a YBA-200 wouldn't be able to cut easily.
:yep

These Amps do start breaking up a bit earlier that what you'd expect; however if you're still struggling even after a good service, there's a couple of things you can do to help get a tad more headroom.

1. Try replacing the preamp valves with lower gain versions. Even just a 12AT7 in V1 should make a difference; personally I'd go with a 12AU7 in V1 & a 12AT7 in V2.

2. The EQ controls on the 200 are passive; when you crank them up full, that's actually the flat position (think of them as a volume control split into three EQ bands!). The lower you have the EQ knobs set, the more you will have to push the gain control, which is where breakup will start happening. Maybe try starting with them at 1-2 o'clock instead of 12 o'clock.

3. Pretend the Scoop control doesn't exist!! Similarly with the Range & Resonance; the closer you can get to a tone you like without touching these controls, the better! For Country, maybe a touch of Resonance towards the positive side, but that'd probably be it. (YMMV)

If it were me, first preference would be getting the Traynor serviced. If you really do want to go with another Amp, there's plenty of good options for Country out there. Obviously there's the Fender BM; otherwise the Ashdown ABM 500 (or 900) Heads have a nice round sound for that sort of stuff, & can be had for a song. Likewise, you can pick up an Eden WT-550 for around the $500 mark these days; great warmish sort of Amp with a very flexible EQ.
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 06 Jun 2018, 09:55

Paisley wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 09:24
1. Try replacing the preamp valves with lower gain versions. Even just a 12AT7 in V1 should make a difference; personally I'd go with a 12AU7 in V1 & a 12AT7 in V2.
That worked for me when I found my Traynor was getting too dirty too early.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 06 Jun 2018, 10:02

Learn to EQ better first, then new roundwound strings, then swap Preamp valve.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

kat888

Post by kat888 » 06 Jun 2018, 10:31

The Traynor is working beautifully and has the exact tone I want for my main gig. It is the first generation YBA200 but it has had the auto-bias circuitry removed.

I run B-M-T on 10 with Range at minimum - I modelled this in the tonestack calculator and confirmed it's giving the flattish with mid-low boost curve I like (ears before eyes). Scoop is bypassed. I have started maxxing the Resonance but tune the 'pillow' with a high pass filter, to get the bounce without any mud.

Really, I wanted to start a bit of enabling fun. Thanks for your suggestions btw.
Thunderbirds are GO

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 06 Jun 2018, 13:39

HPF is excellent for banishing the mud.

Do you have an EQ pedal? A parametric or semi-parametric EQ would work wonders for this. Empress ParaEQ tops my list of suggestions to try out.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

jamiesdad

Post by jamiesdad » 06 Jun 2018, 14:53

I would suggest the vintage bassman in the classifieds ... or a B15 :)
Friendly Forum Mod

pjm

Post by pjm » 06 Jun 2018, 19:01

I'd recommend the TB-600 in the classifieds
Less is more

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 06 Jun 2018, 19:47

Country Kat ?

Could be fun. Modern ? Old ?

My Vinnies group is currently looking at Colonial type stuff. Botany Bay, South Australia, Lime Juice Tub etc plus other (m?)oldies like Click go the Shears, Pub with no beer, Billy of Tea.

I guess our audience is showing... :)
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

kat888

Post by kat888 » 06 Jun 2018, 23:24

RedVee wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 19:47
Country Kat ?

Could be fun. Modern ? Old ?

My Vinnies group is currently looking at Colonial type stuff. Botany Bay, South Australia, Lime Juice Tub etc plus other (m?)oldies like Click go the Shears, Pub with no beer, Billy of Tea.

I guess our audience is showing... :)
Some people have Metal as their 'guilty pleasure'. No idea what style of Country ... whatever comes out as we go along. It's just me and the fiddler agreeing we should do something at this stage. But yes, always fun.
Thunderbirds are GO

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 07 Jun 2018, 11:10

Once you have the country amp sorted, you'll then need to add a Stingray 5 to the collection.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 07 Jun 2018, 11:14

The Bassman 500 that is currently for sale on the forum will do the trick nicely, and looks great as well. Only 7kg, and does nice fat and warm clean (perfect for country) as well as gritty on the footswitchable second channel. One of these has been my main amp for around 3 years now

http://ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24372

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 07 Jun 2018, 11:31

When I think about which genres of music place particular demands on your equipment, Country is one of the easier styles to accommodate. As long as it's fairly clean and can hit moderately loud SPL, I would have thought most amps would be able to get in the ballpark. Case in point, my friend plays with all the big country acts and he's not fussy about amplification at all. As long as he has his trusty Pre-L Fender Precision, he reckons he can work with pretty much anything.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546