Darkglass 900 v Bamp

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
deeevo

Darkglass 900 v Bamp

Post by deeevo » 09 Apr 2018, 18:46

I'm having serious gas for a Darkglass 900 but most reviews seem to focus on the thrashier side of things. I like to play hard (& soft) but like a big fat warm & punchy clean sound. Can anybody give me their opinion between the two. I currently own a Bamp (as new in box if any interest) running through Baer ML112 cabs, can run a combination of up to 4 cabs: 8ohm, 4ohm, 2.67ohm, 2ohm. The Darkglass can run up to 2ohm as does the Bamp which is also a selling point.
Cheers,
Steve.
Fender American Elite Jazz, Fender '62 AVRI Precision, Fender Jazz, Fender Roadworn Jazz, Darkglass M900, Fender Bassman 500 (x2), Aguilar Tone Hammer DI, Baer ML112 cabs x4, Fender Bassman Neo 410, Fender Bassman Neo 115.

sic608

Re: Darkglass 900 v Bamp

Post by sic608 » 09 Apr 2018, 19:15

I can only say that the darkglass seems to have a spaghetti and meatball connection with thrash/metal that i find might hinder a sale or two given thats all mostly demo or featured them in for the most part.

I own m900 and its most certainly very versatile. I dont play metal much and i use it mostly clean and as my main pub rock covers rig.

Can sound very clean and crsip with some nice bottom end too. I usually have the distortion in vintage and pop it in 4 a little grit here and there. Super tasty.

Cant compare it with the b amp u mentioned.

Can see some alternative styles here. Just skip the nolly bit at the start if u wish

Einstein was onced asked, "How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?" To which he repiled, "I dont know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla"

raybass

Post by raybass » 09 Apr 2018, 19:34

I can't comment on the DG, but the b|amp does not disappoint.

I'm sure they are both on par with each other.

I was actually reading a thread on Talk bass two days ago on the same topic. Jim Bergantino even joined the conversation.
Might be worth looking it up...

I briefly looked at the DG, but my decision was based more on praticality. I felt the controls might be hard to see on a dark stage compared to the b|amp screen, and I really liked the fact the berg has a tuner built in.
It sounds amazing too, so that's always a bonus.

Maybe flip a coin.
Warwick LTD 2011 Streamer LX
Warwick $$
Jackson Concert Series
Elixir Nanoweb
B|Amp
Bergantino NV 412
Bergantino HD 212
Line 6 G 30
Vox Wah
Tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus

packrat

Post by packrat » 09 Apr 2018, 20:29

A b|amp for sale? Should we start making offers now? :)

I spent a lot f time going back and forth on amps including the m900 but my primary now is the more traditional Glockenklang blue soul.

deeevo

Post by deeevo » 09 Apr 2018, 20:34

Thanks guys. The only negative I can find on the Darkglass is it's supposed lack of bottom compared to others? I actually prefer the classic style knobs. I don't wear glasses but wear readers & find it difficult knowing where I am with the small screen on the Bamp & the continual rotating knobs so it's a constant putting on the readers to check where I am (of course I could use my ears!).
The other issue is not having access to a M900 in my area to try out.
Fender American Elite Jazz, Fender '62 AVRI Precision, Fender Jazz, Fender Roadworn Jazz, Darkglass M900, Fender Bassman 500 (x2), Aguilar Tone Hammer DI, Baer ML112 cabs x4, Fender Bassman Neo 410, Fender Bassman Neo 115.

deeevo

Post by deeevo » 09 Apr 2018, 20:37

packrat wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 20:29
A b|amp for sale? Should we start making offers now? :)

I spent a lot f time going back and forth on amps including the m900 but my primary now is the more traditional Glockenklang blue soul.
My point. Does the amp only section get traditional? The effects are just a bonus in my opinion.
I've already had a trade offer. (not for a M900).

grooveinsyd

Post by grooveinsyd » 09 Apr 2018, 20:54

from my brief experience from playing it a bass centre, the amp section is nowhere near traditional sounding AKA warn, even with the VMT section on. It's nice, I got a VMT pedal, but not traditional.
Regarding the bottom end on DG, it's tight like every says. Good or bad? that is up to your personal taste.
I would like throw mesa subway 800+ in the mix, anyone got experience with it against DG900 or Bamp?
Sandberg VM Nighthawk; Stingray HH SLO; Dingwall ABZ; Squier PJ

benhill1982

Post by benhill1982 » 09 Apr 2018, 22:29

I've owned both at the same time - I sold the B Amp and kept the DG, as it suited my tastes and cab better (NV610).

The B Amp does super hifi clean, but I felt the EQ lacked a bit in terms of really being able to dramatically sculpt the sound. As Berg themselves say - the goal is for it to be transparent, and a high quality foundational building block, which it delivers in spades. I had high hopes for the OD/Distortion software updates, but they weren't really to my taste. If I were to keep it, I would have nearly always been running a preamp/OD in front of it to add a bit more colour.

The DG clean is on par with the Berg clean, and the EQ has a much more dramatic effect on the tone. There are settings that lend themselves to the modern metal sound for sure, however I stick with the more classic mid-frequency points, and get some very nice warm, vintage goodness out of it. It does have a tighter bottom end (and response in general) than some others in its class, but I certainly wouldn't call it thin. The amp VMT and B7K settings are a little less tweakable and a little warmer sounding than the pedals - and are very usable and easily sculpted.

If you are looking for some lower mid heft as your primary sound, and don't really need the wide range of tones covered by the DG, the Mesa Subway is a very nice option. Thick and full with a responsive EQ, but a little limited in what else it does in comparison.

Just my 2c.
Bass: Sadowsky, Sandberg, Dingwall
Rig: Ampeg SVT VR, Bergantino
Pres: Verellen, Darkglass, Two Notes
Pedals: Tym, Wren and Cuff, Strymon
Studio: Ableton, NI, FabFilter, Two Notes, Shure
Other: Sleishman, DW, Sabian, Zildjian, Moog, Fender

deeevo

Post by deeevo » 10 Apr 2018, 07:12

benhill1982 wrote:
09 Apr 2018, 22:29
I've owned both at the same time - I sold the B Amp and kept the DG, as it suited my tastes and cab better (NV610).

The B Amp does super hifi clean, but I felt the EQ lacked a bit in terms of really being able to dramatically sculpt the sound. As Berg themselves say - the goal is for it to be transparent, and a high quality foundational building block, which it delivers in spades. I had high hopes for the OD/Distortion software updates, but they weren't really to my taste. If I were to keep it, I would have nearly always been running a preamp/OD in front of it to add a bit more colour.

The DG clean is on par with the Berg clean, and the EQ has a much more dramatic effect on the tone. There are settings that lend themselves to the modern metal sound for sure, however I stick with the more classic mid-frequency points, and get some very nice warm, vintage goodness out of it. It does have a tighter bottom end (and response in general) than some others in its class, but I certainly wouldn't call it thin. The amp VMT and B7K settings are a little less tweakable and a little warmer sounding than the pedals - and are very usable and easily sculpted.

If you are looking for some lower mid heft as your primary sound, and don't really need the wide range of tones covered by the DG, the Mesa Subway is a very nice option. Thick and full with a responsive EQ, but a little limited in what else it does in comparison.

Just my 2c.
My thoughts exactly. I'm running my Aguilar Tonehammer pedal in front of the Bamp to colour up. I've also owned a Mesa D800 - also what Ben said.

drbass

Post by drbass » 10 Apr 2018, 08:12

Have to flog the Genzler horse here - I have never found my Magellan 800 lacking anything.

You have two contour options (one scoops the mids and slightly boosts bass and treble, the other boosts low mids while rolling off bass and treble) and a useable drive channel on top of the clean channel.

And it's reasonably priced.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

bobbybdazzler

Post by bobbybdazzler » 10 Apr 2018, 08:37

I wanted to love the DG900 so badly but I think I'm the only person in the world that didn't like it. In my opinion and through my cabs it lacked low end and I couldn't dial the mid’s to where I wanted them, I also had the same problems with the mid’s on a Markbass Tube800. I tried it at rehearsal with the metal band and the rest of the band were also unimpressed by it. Took it back and swapped it for a Mesa Big Block 750, much happier. It seems I’m more a tube amp, sansamp type of guy as opposed to a Class D, B3k. But if that’s your thing you’ll probably love it.
Spector Euro5, Elmo ARB5, Eppi Thunderbird, Czech Bouble Bass
Mesa, Ampeg, Aguilar, Eden, TC Electronics, Orange, Genz Benz, GK, Trace, Line6, Golden Tone.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Glitter-G ... 1390275343

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 10 Apr 2018, 09:25

bobbybdazzler wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 08:37
I wanted to love the DG900 so badly but I think I'm the only person in the world that didn't like it. In my opinion and through my cabs it lacked low end and I couldn't dial the mid’s to where I wanted them, I also had the same problems with the mid’s on a Markbass Tube800. I tried it at rehearsal with the metal band and the rest of the band were also unimpressed by it. Took it back and swapped it for a Mesa Big Block 750, much happier. It seems I’m more a tube amp, sansamp type of guy as opposed to a Class D, B3k. But if that’s your thing you’ll probably love it.
Same here. I couldn't say what the M900 lacked exactly, same with the Puma 900, great sounding very powerful amps just missing.... something for me.
'65 Fender Mustang, '15 Narcdor Precision, '64 Framus Star Bass, Stingray Classic, '14 Streamer NT1
Mesa Walkbout, MarkBass Classic 300, Fender Bassman Neo 115

jimmy_effected

Post by jimmy_effected » 10 Apr 2018, 10:00

I haven't played the 900, but own a B|Amp - I'm a bit of the opposite of Ben's approach in that I prefer to have a transparent amp, then use pedals to add the flavours I want. As much as I gassed for the 900 for a little while, I justified it to myself that I have enough DG gear at my feet already (both a VMT and B7K) to do the same thing but probably better.

That, and I have Berg cabs, so the cab profiles are a huge plus.

GeorgeG

Post by GeorgeG » 10 Apr 2018, 10:30

I think it's worth mentioning that for a more simple, traditional approach the Bergantino Forte' is worth considering, same back end as the BAMP, just more simple 4 band EQ, great variable compressor on the front which really seems to colour the sound so slightly with some fatness as you dialing it in to around 9-10 o'clock.
But, as Michael (DrBass)mentioned the Genzler MG800 is hard to ignore at that price with a very versatile and flexible preamp with a lot headroom behind it.
George Ganakas
Owner of Bass Gear Direct - Dealer / Importer for Bergantino Audio, Euphonic Audio, Glockenklang, Roscoe Guitars & Sadowsky Guitars
www.bassgeardirect.com.au

deeevo

Post by deeevo » 10 Apr 2018, 11:57

Looks like the Bamp stays where it is. Think I need to try it through Berg cabs as well, just none around my neck of the woods.:thumbup: