Tone cap/wiring options - need more dub!

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
WestOfBen

Tone cap/wiring options - need more dub!

Post by WestOfBen » 09 Apr 2018, 11:16

Hopefully no need for a diagram here. I plan on drawing one up soon. I followed the official Bartolini diagrams.

I have installed an older active Bartolini P/J set in my fretless (thanks to Irvine here for the swap). It is working perfectly and sounds amazing, functions as I expect it to so I am sure the wiring is correct. It is wired blend, vol, tone - no "preamp" or mid cut/boost controls.
  • 100pF cap across neck pickup for brightest tone apparently - the Bartolini diagrams show a "Vintage Tone" option of a 68K resistor in parallel with a 0.001uF cap
  • 0.1uF cap between vol and tone pots
  • 0.033uF + 1K resistor from black pickup wires (this is probably irrelevant)
At tone wide-open the bass has plenty of sparkle, as I like when I want. Tone fully off is appreciably darker and still has a little treble coming through. This is also a great tone and I would like to keep it, but I would also like the ability to roll off the highs further so I can get a much more rubbery upright tone, again when I want. I know it is there, because when the bass had passive SD Basslines it could get that tone.

I have a 0.047uF cap on standby, but as I understand it this would be less dark than the 0.1uF. I don't want to employ the "Vintage Tone" option on the neck pickup because I want to keep its modern sound.

Could this be as simple as swapping the 0.1 with something even larger, or should I have another cap (0.047?) across tone pot leg and ground as well, as is usually the setup? Should I only have a cap across tone pot leg and ground instead of between vol and tone pots?

There's no space for switches or push-pull pots. I am sticking with round-wound strings.

Insights greatly appreciated, thanks!
Last edited by WestOfBen on 10 Apr 2018, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.
Rickenbacker 4003JG, Epiphone Ripper, Marina P/J fretless, Tanglewood ABG, 1960s Rose Music Tempo SS semi-hollow bass, an acoustic guitar, GK 700RB-II, SWR Henry 8x8, some pedals
My band is called Ascribe!

slowlearner

Re: Tone cap/wiring options - need more dub!

Post by slowlearner » 09 Apr 2018, 11:29

Colour is important. Just sayin' 8/
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

WestOfBen

Post by WestOfBen » 09 Apr 2018, 13:10

The colour and the shape?
Rickenbacker 4003JG, Epiphone Ripper, Marina P/J fretless, Tanglewood ABG, 1960s Rose Music Tempo SS semi-hollow bass, an acoustic guitar, GK 700RB-II, SWR Henry 8x8, some pedals

packrat

Post by packrat » 10 Apr 2018, 15:11

Please please please. F not fd!!

WestOfBen

Post by WestOfBen » 10 Apr 2018, 16:13

Sorry, blame Bartolini! Post corrected... Sheesh, I thought I was obsessed with grammatical correctness. Now I know there exist electrical engineers obsessed with capacitance measurement unit correctness... :neener: :crazy: :lol:

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 10 Apr 2018, 16:30

As an electrical engineer not obsessed with capacitance measurements (so much), I AM obsessed with circuit diagram.

I need a "This thread is useless without a schematic" emoji :lol:

Personally, for me... I'd employ a good outboard EQ. I like active basses and like to feed as much information out of the bass as possible and then manipulate that.

I do have one passive bass (a P-bass with flats and a 0.047uF tone cap). And I love the flats and hate the tone control. I'd much prefer my passive bass to just be pickups straight to jack.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.