Neo 10 in speakers for a GK 210RBH??

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
AdamFf

Neo 10 in speakers for a GK 210RBH??

Post by AdamFf » 04 Apr 2018, 19:51

Any experiences out there? GK I think told me a while back that the new Neo speakers 'roll off' more at lower frequencies. There are their own ones, Eminence and Celestion. Should reduce the cab's weight from 55 lbs to nearer 40. I have two Neo 112s and I like the light weight. I have heard that Neos are flatter in their response across the frequency range compared with the 'scoop' of the old technology.

Thanks

Adam

Petebass

Re: Neo 10 in speakers for a GK 210RBH??

Post by Petebass » 04 Apr 2018, 20:01

AdamFf wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 19:51
GK I think told me a while back that the new Neo speakers 'roll off' more at lower frequencies............. I have heard that Neos are flatter in their response across the frequency range compared with the 'scoop' of the old technology.
I'd argue both these statements are incorrect. Everything else being equal, there is no difference in the low end roll-off of a neo speaker Vs Ceramic speaker. That's a function of the type of cabinet you're using. If it's ported, than it's a 12dB per octave roll-off from the -3dB point (Sealed = 6dB per octave).

As for flatter response, that really depends on the speaker. As a general rule, neo speakers have more upper mids than their ceramic counterparts. I could go into the boring science of why, but it's just as easy to look at the published frequency response graphs for neo speakers. Most bass worthy neo's have a hump at around 2 or 3K that doesn't exist for the ceramic equivalents.

One thing to remember is that great speakers can sound rubbish in the wrong box. Likewise, ordinary speakers can sound really good in the correct box. With this in mind, I'd be inclined to stick with the GK drivers as it eliminates a lot of the guesswork. Don't even think about using any other speakers unless I or someone else does the math for that particular driver/Box combination.
Last edited by Petebass on 04 Apr 2018, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Bill Fitzmaurice

Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » 04 Apr 2018, 21:59

Petebass wrote:
04 Apr 2018, 20:01
I'd argue both these statements are incorrect. .
+1. There are a dozen or more factors which determine driver performance. Magnet material isn't one of them.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 04 Apr 2018, 22:28

Perhaps they mean their neo speakers roll off more as opposed to their ceramic, but due to design not magnet material? I read it that way.

Regardless it takes a lot of luck or planning and sometimes both to put a new speaker into a box that wasn’t built around it. It’s not just drop in new speakers and go.
'65 Fender Mustang, '15 Narcdor Precision, '64 Framus Star Bass, Stingray Classic
Mesa Walkbout, O'Neill B15-100 (B15-N clone), MarkBass Classic 300, Fender Bassman Neo 115, Ampeg Repro B15E

AdamFf

Post by AdamFf » 05 Apr 2018, 08:01

The GK remark, if I recall it right, was that, installed in the 210RBH cabinet, the effect of the Neo speakers was what I stated - more roll-off. So it was not a remark about the speakers per se. That said, I think I conclude from this discussion that the best thing to do is get the speakers GK used in the (now discontinued) Neo 210. All things considered ...

And my issue is, not to optimise, but to spend some money so that the 210RBH cabinet gets used, rather than sitting in my room being used as a place to stack papers. The 112s are superb, and the two of them together usually too powerful for venues I play in, and anyway I prefer to use one and run the amps hotter (I have two GK amps). I use Warwick basses and usually run the amps flat on the EQ (using the onboard preamps), so roll-off is not that much of an issue.

Thanks

Adam