Jule Amps Monique 700

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
jimmy_effected

Jule Amps Monique 700

Post by jimmy_effected » 11 Feb 2018, 16:15

Are there any forumites who have experience with one of these?

Pretty sure I saw some threads about BassLine owning one - do you still have it?

From what I've been reading this sounds like it would be a "unicorn" amp for me, but trying to find one in Australia... :shrug:

Classic5

Re: Jule Amps Monique 700

Post by Classic5 » 11 Feb 2018, 16:30

Price would be way over the top I think. I've used Blains Monique and that was really good......top quality gear but unfortunatley priced accordingly.
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 11 Feb 2018, 17:53

If you like the Ampeg tone, then they you'll love these. They're clearer than Ampeg IMO.

They have a dark/ warm sound some prefer (highs rolled off over 5kHz?). There's no OD, no mute, no bells or whistles. It's 8kg & 2RU, not the smallest amp.

It doesn't suit some basses, but most of my basses sound great through it (P, J type, hollowbodies). It excels with my Fretless & piezo basses (Mouse, Fretless acoustic, DB) that have been extraordinarily difficult to amplify live.

The Senstivity knob is the magic knob - goes from clear & articulate to a tube-sag/ tube-compression amp, and everything in between. Perfect for my tastes!

I played Blaine's and was instantly hooked. Next time you're in Sydney drop by.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

jimmy_effected

Post by jimmy_effected » 12 Feb 2018, 08:52

Classic5 wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 16:30
Price would be way over the top I think. I've used Blains Monique and that was really good......top quality gear but unfortunatley priced accordingly.
Yeah, new is ~$3,500 based on current exchange rates. Definitely not cheap.

jimmy_effected

Post by jimmy_effected » 12 Feb 2018, 08:55

BassLine wrote:
11 Feb 2018, 17:53
If you like the Ampeg tone, then they you'll love these. They're clearer than Ampeg IMO.

They have a dark/ warm sound some prefer (highs rolled off over 5kHz?). There's no OD, no mute, no bells or whistles. It's 8kg & 2RU, not the smallest amp.

It doesn't suit some basses, but most of my basses sound great through it (P, J type, hollowbodies). It excels with my Fretless & piezo basses (Mouse, Fretless acoustic, DB) that have been extraordinarily difficult to amplify live.

The Senstivity knob is the magic knob - goes from clear & articulate to a tube-sag/ tube-compression amp, and everything in between. Perfect for my tastes!

I played Blaine's and was instantly hooked. Next time you're in Sydney drop by.
I might have to take you up on that - I don't visit often, though if I'm dropping down to see George at BGD at some point that'd be a good opportunity.

I do like the Ampeg sound, though from what I've been reading a number of users really try to distance the Monique from Ampeg sound and stress that the Monique has much more clarity.

Do you run pedals into yours? Specifically I'm curious about how it reacts to drives...

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 12 Feb 2018, 12:47

jimmy_effected wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 08:55
I do like the Ampeg sound, though from what I've been reading a number of users really try to distance the Monique from Ampeg sound and stress that the Monique has much more clarity.

Do you run pedals into yours? Specifically I'm curious about how it reacts to drives...
I'm not an Ampeg SVT fan normally. Too mushy. But I love Monique: warm yet clear, fat yet articulate.

I'm not an effects or OD person sorry... sounded too compressed in a LIVE setting for my tastes (Fretless, acoustic, Jazz, etc).

There's other amps that will give a great tone though. What amps do you really like so far??
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

jimmy_effected

Post by jimmy_effected » 15 Feb 2018, 13:15

BassLine wrote:
12 Feb 2018, 12:47

I'm not an Ampeg SVT fan normally. Too mushy. But I love Monique: warm yet clear, fat yet articulate.

I'm not an effects or OD person sorry... sounded too compressed in a LIVE setting for my tastes (Fretless, acoustic, Jazz, etc).

There's other amps that will give a great tone though. What amps do you really like so far??
The "mushiness" (plus the weight) was originally what drove me away from my SVT2PRO years ago.

I've had a lot of amps over the years that I've liked. Had Ampeg's (tube, not SS) and Eden's, though the Eden's annoyed me with their lack of headroom. Used to hate older Class D amps like Markbass LM series as I felt it was too dark. Ran with an AxeFX II and poweramp combo for a few years as well which was OK, but like with feedback I see on Kempers, there's something about a modelled bass amp that just doesn't quite translate in a room.

Ultimately I loved the warmth of tubes, but after the touring band finished up I switched to a B|Amp which I'm pretty happy with. The thing that I didn't realise I was missing was how a tube amp reacts to drive pedals, or how it feels when you "lean" into it and it drives slightly. There's just something about a tube amp that drive pedals and a Class D amp still can't quite do.

What started this was having a gear meetup with brentonbassist and playing through his Mesa Prodigy head. When we side-by-sided them, we both (I think) leaned towards the B|Amp as it was cleaner and a bit more hi-fi (nicer top end, less dark), though we both liked the warmth of the Mesa. Then, I ran my Alpha Omega into it, and the Mesa just...roared. Within 20 seconds I had this amazing tone that I was in love with, that I'd never quite managed to get out of the B|Amp.

There are more variables at play here, don't get me wrong, I understand that. It was more in the reading I was doing, and in talking with a few Monique owners, the same description (warmth with clarity and punch) kept coming back, which sounds like it's what I'm looking for. That, and I notice owners don't seem to sell their Monique unless life absolutely forces them to...

basshack

Post by basshack » 15 Feb 2018, 15:43

“That, and I notice owners don't seem to sell their Monique unless life absolutely forces them to...”

I even brought mine some new clothes I like it so much. It’s super sexy in its black bamboo case.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

DeadlyErnest

Post by DeadlyErnest » 15 Feb 2018, 15:49

Little Mark is not class D. It is analogue power and switch mode power supply. There is huge aluminium heat sink inside it.
Will play for food.

jimmy_effected

Post by jimmy_effected » 15 Feb 2018, 21:58

DeadlyErnest wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 15:49
Little Mark is not class D. It is analogue power and switch mode power supply. There is huge aluminium heat sink inside it.
Alright, I stand corrected. Consider it one of the first of the "lightweight" heads I played through...either way, was never a fan.

DeadlyErnest

Post by DeadlyErnest » 15 Feb 2018, 23:26

There is no requirement to like an amp you don't like. :) There is just a common misconception about those amps being class D. The F1 and some of the newer compact high power amps are class D.
Will play for food.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 16 Feb 2018, 06:16

Gimme a list of the amps you DO like and why.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

mmw

Post by mmw » 16 Feb 2018, 09:57

Bassline, do you have the Monique 700 or the preamp? For others who are not familiar with Jule Amps, the M700 is a class D power amp which you can buy separately or have as a head including the Monique preamp and M700 poweramp in the same enclosure.

Jimmy, the interaction with pedals you liked with the Mesa amp could have been with the preamp or poweramp or a mixture of both. I think it's worth checking out a Monique preamp to see if that does it for you. Or even running the Mesa Prodigy pre into the power amp of the B|Amp to see if that does it for you.

I run the Monique pre into the power section of a Glockenklang BassArt Classic head. I prefer sound of that power section -
maybe it's the old school large transformer power supply, massive capacitors and class A/B power section. I do run pedals into the Monique, and sometimes just use the Glock with and without pedals. There's a difference, but actually the Glock copes with pedals quite well too. If/when you're in Melbourne you're welcome to try it out.
Fodera Monarch 5 Deluxe; Jule Amps Monique; Glockenklang Bass Art; Wayne Jones; Acoustic Image;
Origin Effects/Eventide/Chunk Systems/FreeTheTone/Pete Cornish

jimmy_effected

Post by jimmy_effected » 16 Feb 2018, 10:27

mmw wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 09:57
Bassline, do you have the Monique 700 or the preamp? For others who are not familiar with Jule Amps, the M700 is a class D power amp which you can buy separately or have as a head including the Monique preamp and M700 poweramp in the same enclosure.

Jimmy, the interaction with pedals you liked with the Mesa amp could have been with the preamp or poweramp or a mixture of both. I think it's worth checking out a Monique preamp to see if that does it for you. Or even running the Mesa Prodigy pre into the power amp of the B|Amp to see if that does it for you.

I run the Monique pre into the power section of a Glockenklang BassArt Classic head. I prefer sound of that power section -
maybe it's the old school large transformer power supply, massive capacitors and class A/B power section. I do run pedals into the Monique, and sometimes just use the Glock with and without pedals. There's a difference, but actually the Glock copes with pedals quite well too. If/when you're in Melbourne you're welcome to try it out.
Cheers mmw - I've been trawling through the Talkbass threads on the Monique too, goldmine of information.

Thanks for the invitation - if I'm in town, I'll have to say hello.

Yep, completely agree re: interaction with pedals. Another forumite in Brisbane who has a Monique pre and a Minnie (the power amp before the M700) has reached out to me privately and we're going to look at organising a catchup and playing some gear. It's likely we'll try and get a few others there too (the Prodigy again, maybe a Darkglass M900, my B|Amp, maybe an Eden), so there'll be plenty of flavours to try. I know from research that the Minnie is pretty close to the M700, albeit a bit "darker" apparently.

Yeah, I know well the only way I'll know if any amp is what I want is to play through it with as much of my gear as possible, including an A/B with my own amp.

jimmy_effected

Post by jimmy_effected » 16 Feb 2018, 10:33

BassLine wrote:
16 Feb 2018, 06:16
Gimme a list of the amps you DO like and why.
SVT (both VR and 2PRO) - classic, warmth and works excellently with drives. 100% agree with your assessment about being too mushy, some more punch would be nice, but it works perfectly for the styles I mostly play and there's nothing quite like hearing one driven hard in a loud rock band.

Eden WT550/800's - warm yet cleaner than the SVT, great EQ options.

B|Amp - light as hell, pairs really well with my Berg cabs and super flexible in terms of style. Does clean for days without sounding sterile.

GK 1001RB-II - punchy, cuts well in a mix, but not as warm. Got really close to pulling the trigger on a Fusion 550 as it had the 1001RB punch with some tube warmth from the preamp.