Battery powered amp

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
mmw

Battery powered amp

Post by mmw » 07 Feb 2018, 12:11

Hi peoples,

Can anyone recommend me a battery powered amp? The plan is to play a bit of busking or street performing. And or jamming with people without needing power. Double as a practice amp.

I'm looking at possibly a Phil Jones double 4, but am yet to try one.

I'd like to get something that I can move around on public transport without needing a trolley... So ideally not a car battery with inverter.

There's also the Phil Jones briefcase but that's a lot more $.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Michael.
Fodera Monarch 5 Deluxe; Jule Amps Monique; Glockenklang Bass Art; Acoustic Image;
Origin Effects/Eventide/Chunk Systems/FreeTheTone/Pete Cornish

gatoz

Re: Battery powered amp

Post by gatoz » 07 Feb 2018, 17:09

Roland Micro Cube Bass RX Amp looks like it could work for you. I don't know anything about them but just googled out of interest.
www.worldofmusic.com.au/amps/bass-amps/ ... -amplifier

Here's a YouTube comparison
Roland Micro Cube Bass RX vs. Phil Jones Double Four BG-75 vs. Markbass Minimark 801 vs. AER amp one

mmw

Post by mmw » 08 Feb 2018, 13:35

Thanks gatoz, yeah that was one of the clips that got me interested in the double 4.
Fodera Monarch 5 Deluxe; Jule Amps Monique; Glockenklang Bass Art; Acoustic Image;

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 09 Feb 2018, 09:52

My next door neighbor has the Cube. I was impressed by the sound. Pretty great. What might put you off is the lack of head room. The last time I saw a street performer on bass, he was using 2 car batteries and an inverter to power a class D head/cab.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

mmw

Post by mmw » 09 Feb 2018, 21:42

slowlearner wrote:
09 Feb 2018, 09:52
I saw a street performer on bass, he was using 2 car batteries and an inverter to power a class D head/cab.
Yeah that's what I'm trying to steer away from, but it may be the only way to get enough volume. May have to try some out.

basshack

Post by basshack » 10 Feb 2018, 07:24

Hi Michael,

I brought Sharon an NS Violin a few years back and a Roland AC-33 amp to go with it. It became the PA for our Church the other week, when the power was down for line works in the street. Surprised me on how decent it was filling that venue. It's here if you want to try it out. It's not purposed for bass but it is full range and has inputs for a mike, instrument and aux.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

balzac

Post by balzac » 10 Feb 2018, 09:09

I like my roland microcube, but yeah, volume outdoors isn't really its strong suit. Great little practice amp but.

I have a friend with a Roland BA-330 portable PA that can run on batteries - very manageable size and weight and a bit more versatile than the bass cube, especially if you're going to be jamming with others ... might be worth a look

https://www.roland.com/au/products/ba-330/

mmw

Post by mmw » 10 Feb 2018, 18:40

Thanks Blame and balzac, I wasn't aware of those options. Will look into it. Thanks for the offer of trying it out too Blane. I may take you up on it just for the excuse to catch up.

mmw

Post by mmw » 14 Feb 2018, 18:33

Just saw this. Anyone tried one?

rainbowbear998

Post by rainbowbear998 » 01 Mar 2018, 20:54

I’ve used an Ashton busker amp (http://www.ashtonmusic.com/products-3/p ... busker-amp) for about a year now and it’s held up quite well. 15w, which has been more than enough for the six piece jazz band I play in, and about five hours battery life - they say 8 on the website but I’ve never been able to get that at a useful volume. It’s a bit hefty though, but I’m still able to carry it around (so it isn’t impossible to move it around without a trolley).