Making the guitarist redundant... or is that the bassist?

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
slowlearner

Making the guitarist redundant... or is that the bassist?

Post by slowlearner » 16 Dec 2017, 16:15

At the risk of getting myself kicked off the forum for behavior unbecoming of a bass player, I thought I'd tell you guys about a new blues project I've been putting together.

Let me give you a little background first. The previous blues band I was in was stocked by the nicest guys I've ever played with. The problem was both guitar players were over-committed and even getting together was a struggle. Gigging was just not happening. The harp player and myself were both pretty frustrated. At the same time I've been playing slide guitar for a long time now on my own. I got a resonator a few years back and I LOVE playing it, but it's rubbish once the volume comes up. It starts feeding back and gets all nasty. At the same time I've been playing guitar at church every Sunday for the last 2 years on my own for the most part. I was looking for ways to fatten up the sound. I started with a stomp box. That was a big step forward. Then last year I found this pedal.

https://www.boss.info/us/products/oc-3/

What it allows in the polyphonic setting is doubling the lowest note whilst leaving the top strings unaffected. So you get something of a bass player on your root note with the open chord on the top. However, the bass note you get is really subs and low mids. There's not treble or high mids to speak off. Think P-bass with 60yo flats. There's a "range" dial on the pedal that acts as a filter for the note where cuts off. It can be a little glitchy and fade out as you get close to cut off, but it's not bad. Of course it works better with a good strong MAG PU signal than my piezo in my fave acoustic. Even still, I use it every week at church at the mo.

So with the slow, painful demise of the other band I had a crazy idea that I could do both jobs, bass and slide guitar. This fits with my slide playing style as I've found playing with a real bass player tends to cramp my slide style anyway. I tend to do lots of right thumb runs and the like. This is my rig for tomorrow's gig, our first.

Strauss 30watt tube amp for the guitar sound/Labby 250B for the bass with the 1x10". I actually tried using my TH350, but I just could get it to sound right. The labby allows me to dial out the low-lows (which there are many of) and has an onboard compressor that further smooths out the bass sounds. Curiously, my fave guitar OD is actually a Cave B-Drive. In case you're wondering what it sounds like, here's a very rough demo MP3 I recorded for our drummer. Today's rehearsal sounded a LOT better. I'm using the "Slydebyrd" guitar I built a while back. Just with the single neck P-rail PU.

As you can see, the basslines are pretty sparse, although I can play doubled walking lines and grooves. It's also pretty great for riffs. The Immigrant song sounds enormous, as does Kashmir. Dazed and confused actually works as well. Here's the real kicker. The guitar is tune in open G (DGDGBD). So every song we're playing is in G. So whether it's Robert Johnson, The Police or Coldplay, everything will be in G.
:D
We're supposed to be a trio, but the Harp player is away, so tomorrow we'll be a power... um, duo?
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

BassLine

Re: Making the guitarist redundant... or is that the bassist?

Post by BassLine » 16 Dec 2017, 16:46

The was a Swamp-Rock Duo with Dobro & Drums that sounded great. No room for a bassist.

ZZ Top meets Spiderbait's 'Black Betty'. :twisted:
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 16 Dec 2017, 17:13

Matt Bulluss' Facebook page (Salt Mine Repair Services) he showed pics of him adding a concealed mag PU to the E & A strings of an acoustic guitar for exactly the same purpose. Split signal to two rigs - guitar and bass rigs.

https://www.facebook.com/saltminerepairservices/
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 16 Dec 2017, 20:10

Went looking, but couldn't find it. :(

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 17 Dec 2017, 09:33

slowlearner wrote:
16 Dec 2017, 20:10
Went looking, but couldn't find it. :(
Either could I. Shoot him a message, he's always happy to help out.... might be busy this time of year though.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 18 Dec 2017, 07:05

Had our first gig last night at a carols. After we got the drummers toddler age kids off the stage, it went pretty well. :lol:

If anyone in Western Syd is looking for a backup band, we're keen.

Jass

Post by Jass » 10 Jan 2018, 12:48

I really like what you are doing here with the one instrument taking on two roles, sounds awesome. :thumbup:

....(as you can probably gather from my Markbass post I am on a similar quest, and reading through your post rekindled my interest)