Using Two Combos - Do I Have This Right?

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
bigswifty

Using Two Combos - Do I Have This Right?

Post by bigswifty » 15 Nov 2017, 22:43

Hey Gang,

I'm doing some gear rationalisation at the moment. The background:

* I can cover 90% of my gigs with either my Markbass 151 or 121 combo.
* If I'm doing a run of gigs far from home I pack a spare head in case something goes pop (which it has)
* There are just a few gigs where the combo is a slight struggle - and I take a bigger rig for these gigs
* The rest of the year, the big rig sits about hosting cobwebs which is a lot of wasted investment

Leaving the mismatch speaker sizes alone for the moment, I'm considering ways to use the two combos for the larger gigs. I could use an ABY, or the Stereo Out on my B3, or do something with my Boss Line Selector, but this would mean setting tone controls and eq on both combos which seems like it would get messy.

The Markbass documentation is not much help but for using both combos am I correct in thinking that:

(a) I can run a cable from the FX Send on one combo into the return on the other combo?
(b) Set eq/input gain on Combo 1 and this will also affect Combo 2? (Yes I know, different cabs/speakers/response)
(c) Set the Master Gain on each acc to requirements?

Further questions:
1. Would it be any different if I used the tuner out?
2. Would it be a better idea to run a cable out of Combo 1's extension speaker into the speaker on Combo 2, and just using Combo 2 as a cab (I've already established that for the bigger gigs I have plenty of amp, I just need to add speaker)

If this should work, I can get rid of my big rig, and also save packing a spare head.

Alternatively I could relax and bask in the ownership of too much gear. But I made a list of the stuff I own the other day, and frankly it was just ridiculous. Stuff that I DO need, but rarely. It's all nuts :)

Mike
I've gone Stingray mad 8|

Heath

Re: Using Two Combos - Do I Have This Right?

Post by Heath » 15 Nov 2017, 22:46

If one of the combos has a 1/4" tuner out jack on the back I'd use that as they're usually a send pre-everything that way whatever settings you have on amp a don't effect the signal going to amp b
Basses: Yamaha, Sandberg, Ibanez
Amps: Markbass, Epifani, Tc, Bergantino

http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band
https://www.musosgarage.com/reofenders

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 16 Nov 2017, 08:53

A lot of this depends on the specific design of the head (LM2/3). You could try the send out of one into the return of the other but in some amps this might mute the sending amp. If the send return is after the EQ in the chain then the EQ settings will go to the second amp. Plugging in to the cab of the other works - just make sure the second head is not plugged in. This will release the magic smoke.

Personally I would keep my eye out for a matching extension cab to go with one of your combos and sell everything else.
Duesenberg MC Starplayer, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

dubista

Post by dubista » 16 Nov 2017, 09:19

vin-tone wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 08:53

Personally I would keep my eye out for a matching extension cab to go with one of your combos and sell everything else.
I second this.
Root, root, third, fifth.

jamiesdad

Post by jamiesdad » 16 Nov 2017, 09:31

markbass have a pre-post EQ button that apparently works on the loop and the DI
Tokai / Fender / Ibanez / Fairfield / Cave / MXR / Boss / GK / Schroeder

Forum mod

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 16 Nov 2017, 11:39

dubista wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 09:19
vin-tone wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 08:53

I second this.
Hmmm what's with all this common sense, eh? Good advice, thank you. And doing this I would be able to get rid of three other cabinets and a head.

Hmmmm
Mike

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 16 Nov 2017, 11:54

Mike: "I want to sell something".
OzBass: "Buy something else"
Mike: "I like that idea!"

I love OzBass logic. :D
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 16 Nov 2017, 12:54

So, if I've understood correctly, you'd ideally like to control the whole system from the one set of controls? This means the tuner out option isn't what you want, as it will be before the eq. As said above, the only question is, if the eq is before or after the send? If the first send is after the eq and the second amp effects return is also after the eq, you can easily hook them up together, to run with the first controls. You'd just need to adjust both masters, but the second one becomes a slave to the first.

Power not being an issue and just needing more speakers, hooking up the speaker in the second amp to the first will also work.

As far as selling goes, I'd be trying it with what you have and seeing if you're happy. The advantage of having the two amps, is of course, that you always have a complete spare.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

dubista

Post by dubista » 16 Nov 2017, 13:56

Another option may be to unplug the speaker from one of the combos and plug it in to the other one. (Provided that the impedance is all kosher). This will treat one of the combos as a speaker cab and you'll only need one outlet.
Root, root, third, fifth.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 17 Nov 2017, 09:15

jamiesdad wrote:
16 Nov 2017, 09:31
markbass have a pre-post EQ button that apparently works on the loop and the DI
I was just looking at the block diagram for my Mark Bass SR450 and the eq is after the tone shaping and eq controls. Only the line out has the option of pre/post eq. Assuming that's the same for all MB amps, but of course might not be.

In this case Mike, I'd say plugging the second speaker into the first amp, to have 2 speakers is more likely what you want.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

rev matt

Post by rev matt » 17 Nov 2017, 09:41

Mike,
I used to run a CMD151 markbass combo and bring an extra 15 in the box for the bigger gigs. I have since got rid of the CMD151 and got a separate TSA500 head and 210 traveller box.
Since you have the extra head, you might be better getting rid of one of the combos and just boost it with the extra box when needed. They get a lot louder with two boxes hooked up.
That way you'll have the flexibility of a head and stand-alone cab or the combo and the extra cab @ 500w.
I don't often have the need to take the 15 to gigs these days
Having fun is half the fun- Warwick Corvette $$ 4- Cort acoustic 4 - no name ebay special 5 (now fretless), Kala spruce fretless Ubass, Washburn M-3SWS mandolin , Ashbory and a 2001 LTD edition Warwick Thumb Fretless 4.

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 18 Nov 2017, 15:27

Thanks everyone. Lots of good info and ideas for me to think about. I guess it all feels a bit out of whack to have 90% of my rig investment only getting used on 10% of my gigs. Will ponder some more. Kinda digging the sound of the 15 (not something I expected), I might just keep an eye out for a NY 151 extension cab then ditch...... we shall see:)

rev matt

Post by rev matt » 20 Nov 2017, 06:28

Mike,
I have a 210 traveller and a stand-alone 15 in cab that you'd be welcome to try against your gear
Having fun is half the fun- Warwick Corvette $$ 4- Cort acoustic 4 - no name ebay special 5 (now fretless), Kala spruce fretless Ubass, Washburn M-3SWS mandolin , Ashbory and a 2001 LTD edition Warwick Thumb Fretless 4.

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 20 Nov 2017, 12:28

rev matt wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 06:28
Mike,
I have a 210 traveller and a stand-alone 15 in cab that you'd be welcome to try against your gear
Hey Matt, that's very generous of you mate. Definitely I'm keen to try the 15. I will PM you.

Mike

rev matt

Post by rev matt » 21 Nov 2017, 12:27

anytime mate.