Genzler Magellan 350

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
Heath

Genzler Magellan 350

Post by Heath » 22 Oct 2017, 09:17

just curious if anyone has tried the 350 "combo" yet? , love the angled design of the cab and im tempted for a small 'combo' for the quiet gigs, i was considering the tc electronic rs210c cab but it'd be nice for not much more to have a second head
Basses: Yamaha, Sandberg, Ibanez
Amps: Markbass, Epifani, Tc, Bergantino

http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band
https://www.musosgarage.com/reofenders

Petebass

Re: Genzler Magellan 350

Post by Petebass » 22 Oct 2017, 10:23

Ping Dr Bass.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

drbass

Post by drbass » 22 Oct 2017, 10:55

"Ping" right back, Pete.

Sorry, Heath, haven't tried the small one but I'm sure you've read my glowing initial review (and complete silence since because there's nothing new to write: it's still the best rig I've ever played, end of story).

I LOVE the MG800 head with one of the BA12-3s for small gigs and rehearsals. There's lots of creamy smoothness thanks to the 4 3" drivers in the vertical array but at the same there is no issue at all to make it zing like there's no tomorrow. I normally get weak in my knees when I play the head with 2 BA12-3 to the point where I can't stand upright anymore. OK, that's somewhat exaggerated but two cabs is much more than just two cabs, there's some "magic" happening (I'm sure Pete could explain this from a tech point of view).

Having said all that: how is this relevant to the 350? The one thing I can guarantee is that it will sound good. The issues I see is that you're looking at a) 175 watts into a single cab at 8 ohms (350 into 4 but that requires a second cab), and b) a 10" with a 4x2" linear array which is likely to sound different to what I'm used to and described above (doesn't means it's worse or better, just different). It might not be powerful enough with one cab once a drummer comes into play.

You're in Newcastle, right?If you're really interested in this I'd recommend you contact George at BassGearDirect and have a try-out and compare. Or come on down to the GTG in 2 weeks - I'll have my rig there. As I said, it'll be good but it might not be right for you.

Let me know if you need more info on the MG800/BA12-3.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 fanned, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, ME1/5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 22 Oct 2017, 11:45

I'd buy the combo just because it has a built in trolley !

seriously, I would :)

every cab maker take note,this is the new standard, please?
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Heath

Post by Heath » 22 Oct 2017, 12:59

yeah i read all about your write up on the 800 and 12's, but the rh450 and 2 rs212's i havent been wanting at all, even last night with just one 212 was plenty, (power wise considering the rh450 is only a 230w-ish head is enough) and youre right bazz, the design of the rs210c is awesome, its actually the same size as the normal rs210 just compressed to make room for the head and that inbuilt trolley kicks butt....
im also considering the trace elliot elf and 2x8 rig but one of the amps i do miss is my old streamliner 900

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 23 Oct 2017, 08:54

BazzBass wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 11:45

Pretty sure I wouldn't Bazz. Check it out from the back (below). Those wheels look pretty useless unless your load-in is like a billiard table. It won't stack nicely with other stuff with the trolley attached, and if you detach it you might as well just bring a trolley that works.

Sorry, the mention of "trolley" got me going there for a moment.... back to the Genzler discussion :)

Mike

I've gone Stingray mad 8|

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 23 Oct 2017, 09:15

Look about as useful as the trolley attachment to the Mesa Walkabout Scout, which is not at all.

Echo Michael a single BA12-3 was quite impressive, I’d be keen to hear this little wunderkid 350 and 10 in action.
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 23 Oct 2017, 10:04

Also if you're thinking the 10-2 might not be powerful enough, the 112T is slightly more expensive, a bit heavier, and more efficient. Not going to give the crisp full range of a 10-2 or 12-3 as it only has one tweeter. I was considering one as an alternative to the very expensive Aguilar SL112 with that classic look.
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz

GeorgeG

Post by GeorgeG » 23 Oct 2017, 10:30

BazzBass wrote:
22 Oct 2017, 11:45

Bazz, I agree, the built in trolleys on combos is great little feature and should be seen in most combos that could do with something like that but, the Genzler MG350/BA10 combo doesn't need it, rather than a one hand lift it feels more like a one finger lift :) . It really feels light. For it's size it puts out a lot of sound, not quite as deep as the 112's but tight and focused with a good amount of volume, with a nice smooth, but crisp response in the highs without the harshness and the Array really helps to spread the sound.
George Ganakas
Owner of Bass Gear Direct - Dealer / Importer for Bergantino Audio, Euphonic Audio, Glockenklang, Roscoe Guitars & Sadowsky Guitars
www.bassgeardirect.com.au

Heath

Post by Heath » 23 Oct 2017, 18:49

ill be hitting you up to come have a play soon george, i work at berowra on nightshift so its not much for me to come after work