Music Man amps

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
narcdor

Music Man amps

Post by narcdor » 18 Oct 2017, 18:31

Any experience on here using them for bass? From hazy memory Doug in radeliade used to have a HD130 maybe? I’m intrigued by the 70s bassman-ish style but lighter weight. Have a guitarist friend that buys every vintage one he finds but won’t share...
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz

Slapfest62

Re: Music Man amps

Post by Slapfest62 » 19 Oct 2017, 00:06

yes, I have played through an HD130 many times. . A mate has one in his collection . . Its a good, clean valve amp , not over-powered, from memory, (could be enough, just depends how loud your band is, I guess) , but reliable, as well (not often something I'd say about a valve amp.) . . I dont recall it being overly bright in the top end , and certainly not harsh sounding ,
To be honest, I havent really heard much bad about MM amps, they were fairly unremarkable, amongst other stars like the Stingray etc, , but basically just continued down a similar path to previous Fender amps. Not that thats a bad thing, its good , I reckon . . but it just wasnt really anything new for the mid-'1970's.

So yeah, I've had good times through an HD130, for sure , no complaints . . . mind you, (for anyone that takes notice of such things) , i WAS sticking a Red Hot "B00" series / "Radio Knob" (whatever)1976 Stingray through it , that had a fantastic sound.
And that cetainly helped as well.

I had a friend that played for many years in one of them big Beatlish shows - you know the ones
At one stage, the Beatlish guitarists both sought out and bought 2nd hand MM small combos (cant remember the #),
because they sounded far better than the correct vintage Beatles-type model. And they were actually able to strip out the shells of the original-type amps (vox? . . i dunno) and sit these slightly smaller, but better, MM amps INSIDE the shells of the Vox (eg) amps, so that it all sounded better, but still looked the part . . True Story . .
I know that has nothin to do with Bass, but it still spaeks to the quality that was there , even in the smaller models .

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 19 Oct 2017, 06:00

Cool thanks for that, very useful info there. I think you’re right from what I can tell the HD130 seemed to be the next step from the fender twin, similar to the stingray being the next bass step. I’ve been looking at vintage bassman amps for a bit but they’re overpriced I think, these look like well made well designed amps at a better price, including trem on the Reverb model, look the ducks nuts, and are going a fair bit cheaper. They all use turret board from what I can tell and they stopped making them because they were too expensive to make, something bassman didn’t seem to suffer from. I’m really interested in an amp that doubles for guitar well and these seem to be well regarded for that, and they’re a bit different which appeals to me.

I might try convincing my guitarist friend to pay a visit and thrash his amp collection for a bit...

Thanks again!
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray

Slapfest62

Post by Slapfest62 » 19 Oct 2017, 18:56

No problem . For what its worth , I think they would easily double as a guitar amp . . good luck with it.

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 20 Oct 2017, 04:07

Ain't they the ones with a SS pre amp mated to an all tube power section?

@Slapfest "reliable. ..that's not something I'd often say about a tube amp. .. "

I always find these comments strange. .
I and many others I know of. .. have used all tube amps all our lives and In my case I've had I think one major issue (when someone spilled a drink into my amp) & one minor issue. ..(where the multi pin adapter came loose in transit)
Apart from that. .. I reckon I've changed power tubes 2 or 3 x ....reliable?. ..40 yrs gigging.!!!!!!! That sounds reliable to me.

Anyway. ..back to ot
Mean & Surly

kat888

Post by kat888 » 20 Oct 2017, 06:01

Better than a Vox AC30? Might have to sort this out in the carpark.

Yes they have a solid state preamp. IIRC they also had a half power switch, so you could drop the output to 65w. They were very popular with Country musicians.
Last edited by kat888 on 20 Oct 2017, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
Thunderbirds are GO

Cataldo NR41 KatBird, Epiphone ThunderKat II
Diamond BCP-1 Compressor, TCE Vortex Flanger
Traynor YBA200 + Ampeg SVT212AV

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 20 Oct 2017, 07:10

Yep, country, super loud and super clean, exactly what I want from a guitar amp. Same for a bass amp actually. Well, clean not to be confused with sterile, so plenty of character is a good thing but not overdriven as such.

I only had one problem with a tube amp and that’s because I stuck a dead tube in it, so not the amps fault really.

Slapfest62

Post by Slapfest62 » 22 Oct 2017, 14:28

rodl2005 wrote:
20 Oct 2017, 04:07
Ain't they the ones with a SS pre amp mated to an all tube power section?

@Slapfest "reliable. ..that's not something I'd often say about a tube amp. .. "

I always find these comments strange. .
I and many others I know of. .. have used all tube amps all our lives and In my case I've had I think one major issue (when someone spilled a drink into my amp) & one minor issue. ..(where the multi pin adapter came loose in transit)
Apart from that. .. I reckon I've changed power tubes 2 or 3 x ....reliable?. ..40 yrs gigging.!!!!!!! That sounds reliable to me.

Anyway. ..back to ot
Well, the question was to people's experience with these amps, and I gave mine . . also from 40 yrs gigging experience. And as far as reliability goes . . I've spent literally thousands of $$ getting constant small issues repaired on valve amps . . far more so than ss amps . . and if it had a ss preamp ? . . dunno , wasnt my amp . . I was just giving my assesment . . but thanks for your comment on my comment . . would have been handy if you had your own experiences with these amps to add to the original question . . . However, my mate that OWNS the HD130 that i've played through happens to be right here , and he reckons that it absolutely screams as a guitar amp (depending on your speakers, of course ) but yes, he used it many times for a guitar amp and says it is a winner