Pros and cons of selling the big rig

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
DoctorJohn

Re: Pros and cons of selling the big rig

Post by DoctorJohn » 03 Oct 2017, 14:50

The metal bands i play with are loud - just the nature of the beast. So i think it has a lot to do with the genre you are playing. What is loud is really subjective.

I haven't had to use the SVT rig in a while now. But will keep it just in case - but having said that, live through the 8x10 the head hasnt even been past 12 o'clock.

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 03 Oct 2017, 15:52

Every time I've been on a big festival stage the sound guy D.I.'s me before the amp which basically results in the amp working as just my on-stage sound. Annoying cos after years of sculpting the right tone it ends up in the hands of a sound guy who thinks it's all about boost the lows and cut all the higs. However I then get amazing sound through the foldback and cant even hear my rig. These days, depending on the festival, i dont even bother with an amp...
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, Fender Jazz Am Deluxe & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, GK MB500, GB NeoX 212T, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

DoctorJohn

Post by DoctorJohn » 03 Oct 2017, 16:27

Your head doesn't have a DI? I thought that was pretty standard on heads these days?

Phatbass

Post by Phatbass » 03 Oct 2017, 21:00

99% of my gigs I use a MarkBass 102HF. I have a second one I add for big shows. Anything that won't handle, one of my friends can have the gig. I'm not interested in losing what little hearing I have left. I haven't lost any gigs so far...
Phatbass

"Better to remain quiet and be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt"

basshack

Post by basshack » 03 Oct 2017, 21:40

Petebass wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 10:54
basshack wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 06:36
Did a gig at the MCG once.... my quad wasn't going to cover it. :lol:

Having said that I will have my 611 etc up for sale shortly too. Just not playing big anymore.
I used 3x12s at the SCG, which felt about right. A week later I filled in with an Aussie rock tribute band at an RSL club on the NSW Central Coast, and pushed that same 3x12 rig much harder. Damn they were loud. Took 4x12s whenever I played with that particular band again.
I had two twin Fender 15" and horns at the G. Felt glorious! Those cabs are now doing PA for a theatre in Benalla I think.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

hamo

Post by hamo » 04 Oct 2017, 07:08

Some very interesting feedback lads.

I've come to the conclusion that I will see if the whole rig sells and from that fund a backup head of some sort.
If it doesn't sell I'll probably keep the head and just sell the cabs.

The open market will have it's say soon enough :-)
Sadowsky MV4-HPJ | Fender AVRI 58 Precision (FOR SALE) | Lakland USA Duck Dunn #13 | Genz Benz STM900 | Berg AE212 | Eden XLT210 | Aguilar TLC Compressor | Aguilar Octamiser | Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Envelope Filter

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 04 Oct 2017, 09:10

DoctorJohn wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 16:27
Your head doesn't have a DI? I thought that was pretty standard on heads these days?
Yeah of course! But for whatever reason the sound guys would refuse to DI from the head. It was the main reason I bought my own DI/Preamp so i could have some control over my sound
Roy Batty

57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, Fender Jazz Am Deluxe & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

FunkDragon

Post by FunkDragon » 04 Oct 2017, 23:14

FunkyJase wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 09:10
DoctorJohn wrote:
Yeah of course! But for whatever reason the sound guys would refuse to DI from the head. It was the main reason I bought my own DI/Preamp so i could have some control over my sound
That has been common practice at MOST gigs I've done with sound guys for years...
Have them refuse Bass amp built in DI's. I would have to assume that these sound guys have been burnt by some cheap ass crappy amps in the past and as such rule ALL built in DI's no good. Pretty dumb really.
I've only ever owned quality amps, and never had an issue with a built in DI.
If you know your stuff, you should be able to recognize quality gear...

So yeah, a good idea to have your own DI / Pre available too. Mind you, I've had to battle to use my own free standing DI too at times...

....and funnily enough, when I've managed to politely talk my way into using my own gear the sounds guys have (sincerely) complimented my nice tone... (thank you, but yes... kind of the point in using MY gear :) )

But I do understand, they are trying to do a job too. And they (sometimes...) know their gear.
It's ALL about the groove!
Spector - ReBop MM 4, & Legend Custom 5 :partydance:
Genz Benz GBE750
Ampeg Portaflex 4x10

groovinbass.com

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 05 Oct 2017, 08:30

FunkDragon wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 23:14
FunkyJase wrote:
04 Oct 2017, 09:10
DoctorJohn wrote:
That has been common practice at MOST gigs I've done with sound guys for years...
Have them refuse Bass amp built in DI's. I would have to assume that these sound guys have been burnt by some cheap ass crappy amps in the past and as such rule ALL built in DI's no good. Pretty dumb really.
I've only ever owned quality amps, and never had an issue with a built in DI.
If you know your stuff, you should be able to recognize quality gear...

So yeah, a good idea to have your own DI / Pre available too. Mind you, I've had to battle to use my own free standing DI too at times...

....and funnily enough, when I've managed to politely talk my way into using my own gear the sounds guys have (sincerely) complimented my nice tone... (thank you, but yes... kind of the point in using MY gear :) )

But I do understand, they are trying to do a job too. And they (sometimes...) know their gear.
Oh absolutely.
I dont argue with 'em because at the end of the day it's the show that counts but I do hate how their "go to" tone is no highs and huge muddy fat lows he he. I often ask for a "full range" mix cos I do slap sometimes and generally they nod and say no probs but yeah - they dont often do it he he
Roy Batty

slave

Post by slave » 06 Oct 2017, 15:53

^^^^
yeah I've pretty much had the same experience for the last 20 years. Must make their job easier or something... :rolleyes

DoctorJohn wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 14:50
I haven't had to use the SVT rig in a while now. But will keep it just in case
Pretty much how I feel about big setups. I love my SVT, use for all gigs I can - the big cab however is a mostly.
Whatever works, but I won't be sending my SVT away until I have trouble lifting it. I just love the big cab(s) with an SVT, there's just something about having speakers close to ear level. :thumbup:

simotek

Post by simotek » 11 Oct 2017, 22:04

FunkyJase wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 15:52
Every time I've been on a big festival stage the sound guy D.I.'s me before the amp which basically results in the amp working as just my on-stage sound. Annoying cos after years of sculpting the right tone it ends up in the hands of a sound guy who thinks it's all about boost the lows and cut all the higs. However I then get amazing sound through the foldback and cant even hear my rig. These days, depending on the festival, i dont even bother with an amp...
Not that I play festivals, but this (and playing at home while kids sleep) Is the main reason my rig is now a pedalboard, it has a valve preamp, compressor, programmable EQ and cabsim plus some fun things, its setup to go direct to a desk whether its at a bigger venue or on my desk with headphones while kids sleep.

I've Kept a Mark Bass Head and 2x10 That I basically have EQ'd to use as a powered foldback (I run the cabsim into it) and thats always been more then enough to cover anything i've played without PA support and on occasion I even get to use it at home.

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 12 Oct 2017, 07:25

simotek wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 22:04
FunkyJase wrote:
Not that I play festivals, but this (and playing at home while kids sleep) Is the main reason my rig is now a pedalboard, it has a valve preamp, compressor, programmable EQ and cabsim plus some fun things, its setup to go direct to a desk whether its at a bigger venue or on my desk with headphones while kids sleep.

I've Kept a Mark Bass Head and 2x10 That I basically have EQ'd to use as a powered foldback (I run the cabsim into it) and thats always been more then enough to cover anything i've played without PA support and on occasion I even get to use it at home.
Thats a bloody great idea...

Damn... now Im spending MORE money he he
Roy Batty

simotek

Post by simotek » 12 Oct 2017, 08:53

FunkyJase wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 07:25
simotek wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 22:04
FunkyJase wrote:

Thats a bloody great idea...

Damn... now Im spending MORE money he he
I'm using a Two Notes Le Bass as my main preamp but the cabsim is too dark for me so I added a Neunaber Iconoclast. I've also got a Tech 21 VT Bass coming to run in front of it for the times when I want a SVT sound.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 12 Oct 2017, 09:23

Just go get a Noble, B15 in a box.
'65 Fender Mustang, '15 Narcdor Precision, '64 Framus Star Bass, Stingray Classic, '14 Streamer NT1
Mesa Walkbout, MarkBass Classic 300, Fender Bassman Neo 115

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 12 Oct 2017, 11:02

I've used my Aggy TH500 amp as a DI many times. .. and. ..as when I use pretty much any amp. .I tell em I use the amp's built in overdrive or whatever and this I HAVE to go post EQ etc. .. if you're nice to em. ..and explain why n how good the DI is in the amp etc. .. I've rarely had a problem. Plus, if they're worth their name as a sound engineer. ...they should be able to get a decent sound outta you exec going post eq.
Again. ..as long as you're nice, approachable etc. . Even if they do have problems. ..I'm willing to use their DI...or, go pre eq etc. .
If it's a festival or multi-band type gig. ..I'll usually take the TH500 for ease of use. ..fast set up etc. . 99% of other gigs, where we're the main act, the Super Bassman and one or 2 115s is my ticket to bliss.
Mean & Surly