is there even a PJ set that works?

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
aphekgreg

Re: is there even a PJ set that works?

Post by aphekgreg » 27 Sep 2017, 16:46

Here's a quick clip I just did of my P/J set.

Edit. Scrap that. Wrong file.
Last edited by aphekgreg on 27 Sep 2017, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 27 Sep 2017, 16:51

Hey that sounds great.
Which section does what? Is the first the bridge solo'd, then the P etc
Fender CIJ 57RI P Bass, Warmoth Fretless PJ Bass, Bitsa Frankenbass PJ, Warwick $$ & 75' Fender Jazz Reissue.

Markbass LM Big Bang, GK MB500, Schroeder 1210pl, Eden EX112, Boss LMB-3, SGFX Beta, EMG GZR, Boss blah blah blah

stonecoldbass

Post by stonecoldbass » 27 Sep 2017, 17:03

That is a lovely sounding axx!!
aphekgreg wrote:
27 Sep 2017, 16:46
Here's a quick clip I just did of my P/J set.

http://www.craigstrainmusic.com
http://www.basslessonsmelbourne.com
F Bass VF5 70's Ash/Maple
Iceni Zoot Classic J Funkmeister Custom 5 string
Greco 70's P bass
80's Squier J Bass
80's Ibanez Musician
Markbass LMT800
Eden EX112 x2
Markbass 410HR

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 27 Sep 2017, 17:04

That's actually the wrong file. Uploading the correct one now.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 27 Sep 2017, 17:09

This is the correct file. I hadn't noticed I'd been using a different output to record, so I was hearing this, but it's not what was bouncing down.

Starts with neck pickup, then both, then bridge solo. I'm not a solo bridge pickup guy either. I've been working on a version that I might actually use myself. :shrug: Actions a little low, so slightly buzzy, but it gives you a fair idea,

Greg

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 27 Sep 2017, 17:57

Nah cool - :-)
Fender CIJ 57RI P Bass, Warmoth Fretless PJ Bass, Bitsa Frankenbass PJ, Warwick $$ & 75' Fender Jazz Reissue.

Markbass LM Big Bang, GK MB500, Schroeder 1210pl, Eden EX112, Boss LMB-3, SGFX Beta, EMG GZR, Boss blah blah blah

bassbass

Post by bassbass » 01 Oct 2017, 00:39

I really need to start embracing other formats
Ha, well that might be a bit drastic. Just think outside the box. Forget about sets. Instead try hot J and a low-ish output P, and you'll be on your way. I doesn't matter if they come from different winders. And FWIW, I'd also recommend a hum-cancelling J.
robkiddmusic.com
fb/robkiddmusicofficial

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 01 Oct 2017, 07:38

bassbass wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 00:39
I really need to start embracing other formats
Ha, well that might be a bit drastic. Just think outside the box. Forget about sets. Instead try hot J and a low-ish output P, and you'll be on your way. I doesn't matter if they come from different winders. And FWIW, I'd also recommend a hum-cancelling J.
That's basically what I've been making. :shrug:
Greg

rudager

Post by rudager » 01 Oct 2017, 10:11

A little while ago I bought a 2nd hand Schecter Diamond P for a film clip we made. I was planning to use it for the clip and then flip it. I decided to swap the gnarly ceramic stock P pickup for a Tonerider P-plus pickup I had as a spare. The result is incredible with the stock Schecter humbucker in the bridge. It slays the American Deluxe P for balance and fullness. In fact, we just finished recording with a top producer who knows his stuff inside out, and after some A/Bs with top of the line Fenders we went with the big Schecter.

rudager

Post by rudager » 01 Oct 2017, 10:21

Here's what it looks like. This track was recorded with a nice Jazz Bass with Fralins with the bridge pickup rolled off about 1/4, the consensus is that the Schecter sounds way better so we used it for the rest of the record.

bassbass

Post by bassbass » 02 Oct 2017, 22:39

That's basically what I've been making
Yeah, and I'm sure there are plenty of small winders around who do. But for some reason the big guys and oem sets are often no good. No matter how close you set the J, it is no match for the P. Back in the 90's when I was into winding, just about the first thing I did was to over-wind the J on my old yamaha PJ. (I later cut, half-flipped, and rewound that pickup as a humbucker, and believe it or not I actually found it in my junk box the other day.) It really makes perfect sense. You should try a custom blend pot with your set...
robkiddmusic.com
fb/robkiddmusicofficial

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 05 Oct 2017, 10:17

Well Im definitely giving Aphekgreg's set a run :-)I feel I prefer passive options in the PJ world. looking at a push pull knob with two cap options and a treble bleed... why TF not...

Anyone wanna buy an EMGX PJ Set?

BassDude

Post by BassDude » 08 Oct 2017, 14:39

you have to get a really hot bridge pickup and a regular output P pickup. then adjust pickup heights to fine tune the balance. it works for me

Slapfest62

Post by Slapfest62 » 11 Oct 2017, 19:08

bassbass wrote:
26 Sep 2017, 09:21
You can make any P/J set work with active mixing.

But if you want to stay passive, or at least mix passively before a preamp, I'd strongly recommend trying what I've done with my 80's JB4.

The J is the original Dimarzio - hot, mid-rangey, adjustable pole pieces. The P is underwound alnico 5. A typical 70's P pickup with 42 gauge wire is wound to around 11K. Mine is only wound to 8K. Sounds drastic, but this works very well. In fact it's really the only P/J that I've ever loved. The pickups match perfectly in output, and compliment each other in tone.

The blend pot is also an important part of the equasion. A 200K A/C pot that is unearthed. I doubt you could buy one like this, but it is pretty straight forward to make. You can morph very smoothly from the sound of one pickup to the other. In fact I sort use the blend pot as a mid-range control. This is very nearly as good as an active blend preamp.
this actually sounds about right . . . . Did you wind the P yourself, or get it done locally? . . wouldnt mind giving it a try myself . . thanks for the info, bassbass

Lukaas3

Post by Lukaas3 » 16 Oct 2017, 11:53

rudager wrote:
01 Oct 2017, 10:11
A little while ago I bought a 2nd hand Schecter Diamond P for a film clip we made. I was planning to use it for the clip and then flip it. I decided to swap the gnarly ceramic stock P pickup for a Tonerider P-plus pickup I had as a spare. The result is incredible with the stock Schecter humbucker in the bridge. It slays the American Deluxe P for balance and fullness. In fact, we just finished recording with a top producer who knows his stuff inside out, and after some A/Bs with top of the line Fenders we went with the big Schecter.

Rudy do you think its the pre in the P deluxe that is the weak point ?