Ibanez SR900 Bartolini MK1 upgrade options.

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
muzza

Re: Ibanez SR900 Bartolini MK1 upgrade options.

Post by muzza » 06 Jul 2017, 21:30

So... I installed It last night, taking my time and double checking everything. I plugged it in and it didn't work.

The bass worked in passive mode, but in active mode it was extremely quiet.

I poked around for another two hours before giving up and going to bed. I was stumped.

What do YOU think the problem was?

I'll tell you in a bit.

I went back this morning for another crack, checking every connection. I couldn't find anything out of place, so I removed it and put all the components back on the card and plugged it in.

It nearly deafened me. I'd forgotten to turn the amp back down.

I put it all back in the bass and... nothing.

Again.

Long story short, took it all back out again and #%£& me, everything works.

Put it back in. Nothing.

Pull it out. It works.

Turns out the preamp doesn't like a shielded cavity.

Removed all the shielding and replaced each component one at a time, testing after each.

NOW, 6 hours later, it FINALLY works.

Sounds HEAPS better, but it's not a Stingray.

DeadlyErnest

Post by DeadlyErnest » 09 Jul 2017, 18:21

I think they usually put a non conducting piece of foam on the back of the preamp.
Will play for food.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 09 Jul 2017, 19:01

muzza wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 21:30
Turns out the preamp doesn't like a shielded cavity.
Good Grief, that's can't be right can it? When you think of how many basses are out there with a shielded cavity......... I just hope you don't get any noise issues now the shielding has been removed.
muzza wrote:
06 Jul 2017, 21:30
Sounds HEAPS better, but it's not a Stingray.
Well I'm glad it sounds heaps better. Could you describe how it differs to the stock preamp?

As for making it sound like a Stingray preamp, I have an evil plan. I'm thinking about getting the Noll TCM 3P preamp because it has variable frequency controls on on all three bands. I'm thinking it should be possible to then replicate the frequency centres of the preamp on my Stingray. Of course it'll never be the exactly the same, but in theory I should be able to bet a much better result than what I'm getting from the stock pre.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

muzza

Post by muzza » 12 Jul 2017, 20:57

Petebass wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 19:01
I just hope you don't get any noise issues now the shielding has been removed.
Not a problem. There is still foil on the inside of the cavity cover. Maybe that's enough?
Petebass wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 19:01
Could you describe how it differs to the stock preamp?
Umm... I'm not a good one for describing sound, but I'll give it a crack.

I found the stock preamp quite 'harsh'... 'thin'... 'gutless'... 'cheap'... in a nutshell - 'unpleasant'. The new one sounds like a top end bass, with warmth, punch and projection. (It's not a Stingray, but I'm happy to put them both side by side in the studio and on stage.)

I used it stock for two songs at our last gig and had the treble pot turned down to zero. In a pub gig scenario, it was bearable. I wanted to use the Ibanez on those two songs because they had some fast (for me) sections and the Ibanez neck is soooo nice.
DeadlyErnest wrote:
09 Jul 2017, 18:21
I think they usually put a non conducting piece of foam on the back of the preamp.
It wasn't the preamp itself, it was the pots. When they were on the card, it worked. When they were in the shielded cavity, they didn't work. When they were in the unshielded cavity, they worked again.

Don't worry, nobody was more surprised than me. When I emailed Bartolini about my findings, they didn't really pass any comment other to say "Glad you sorted it. Enjoy the music"...

A bit dismissive I thought. If it was MY company I'd be all over it - getting as much info as possible.

muzza

Post by muzza » 12 Jul 2017, 20:59

So... in a nutshell.

Step 1, replace the preamp.

Step 2, rock out.

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 12 Jul 2017, 21:08

muzza wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 20:59
So... in a nutshell.

Step 2, rock out.
That's great feedback. Thanks for taking the time to post your findings. Oh and I totally know what you mean about the Ibanez necks. :thumbup: :thumbup:
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

DeadlyErnest

Post by DeadlyErnest » 13 Jul 2017, 11:44

All I can guess at is that when the pots were in the cavity some tabs on the pots or wiring was pushed up against the conductor shorting something out.

I have had that happen before. It's all working, jam it in, short.
Will play for food.

lesliegl

Post by lesliegl » 15 Jul 2017, 17:30

Hi i did the upgrade together with the new pick ups..

Leslie

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 19 Jul 2017, 10:11

Looks like I might have just scored a bargain on an EMG 3 band pre (5 knob). So my Ibanez SR805 will be getting an upgrade soon.

petersemple

Post by petersemple » 19 Jul 2017, 20:09

One thing to note with the EMG's is that you don't get any volume boost. With their system the volume boost is in the pickups. I think they sound good though, and mine is on a pair of Bart soapbars.
Basses: Wasburn Status 4, Fretless 4 made from parts, Fretted through neck 5 made by me
Amp: Eminar bass 400 into home made cab with JBL 15"

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 19 Jul 2017, 21:54

petersemple wrote:
19 Jul 2017, 20:09
One thing to note with the EMG's is that you don't get any volume boost. With their system the volume boost is in the pickups. I think they sound good though, and mine is on a pair of Bart soapbars.
EMG can get down right confusing, but they always sound good to me. Some of their pres only work with active pickups, some are designed for passive pickups.

The scenario you referring to is for the preamps designed to be used with active pickups. The one I'm getting is an older model that came out of a custom built bass. It had EMG pickups so I'm still not 100% sure which type of pre I'm getting, and the owner has no clue. But the price kept dropping so I just thought "why not". I know I'll have some fun installing it and if it's the wrong type, I'll probably get some active EMG pickups to match it.

I have to do something about the injustice that this bass doesn't yet sound as good as it looks:

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 07 Dec 2017, 01:29

muzza wrote:
12 Jul 2017, 20:59
So... in a nutshell.

Step 2, rock out.
Ok I can now officially confirm this is correct. My SR805 now has done 2 gigs with the EMG preamp installed, and it has completely transformed the bass. Much better! No need to swap the MK1 pickups out.