The best P/J Pickup Set so far! OzBass made!

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
FunkyJase

The best P/J Pickup Set so far! OzBass made!

Post by FunkyJase » 20 Nov 2017, 12:38

A while back I posted about never being able to find a P/J set of pickups that I felt actually worked. Even through mixing and matching I've always found the P pickup to be way too "present" compared to the Jazz pickup at the bridge and couldnt work out why so many people, myself included, keep using PJ's! The Jazz pup by itself was always weak and when blended with the P really only added "suck" to the tone rather than improving it. I always loved the idea of having the best of both worlds ie Precision/Jazz and I was so close to giving up...

Then I got a set of hand made pups from Aphekgreg. He can go into detail about the specs but from what I understand, the Split P is slighty underpowered and the Jazz is boosted significantly. Now I have an extra element to my sound where I can actually blend in the J for slap and tone etc or even solo it for Jaco stuff...

Pretty bloody happy with em...
Fender CIJ 57RI P Bass, Warmoth Fretless PJ Bass, Bitsa Frankenbass PJ, Warwick $$ & 75' Fender Jazz Reissue.

Markbass LM Big Bang, GK MB500, Schroeder 1210pl, Eden EX112, Boss LMB-3, SGFX Beta, EMG GZR, Boss blah blah blah

aphekgreg

Re: The best P/J Pickup Set so far! OzBass made!

Post by aphekgreg » 20 Nov 2017, 16:44

Well that's very good to hear. I like my set too. :p

I'd actually need to check my book to remember the exact specs (don't worry, it's all there). The P is definitely underwound. which I think is more often than not a better sound, than overwinding them. The P is the same spec as the one Andy (jamiesdad) has in his Tokai Hard Puncher. [Saying you have overwound pickups sounds cooler though; like having a hotted up engine.] The J is pretty close to vintage specs, but in a split coil humbucker. My complaint with most basses, has usually been that the D/G strings sound too thin compared to the E/A, so the coils in both pickups are slightly different, to help them balance better tonally.

I also now believe that the hand guided approach sounds better than an automated machine made pickup; after being skeptical for many years. I recently read one of George Fullerton's books (the G in G&L and early fender employee) and noted that he and Leo felt hand guided pickups sounded better too.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

cleary

Post by cleary » 20 Nov 2017, 19:53

Stoked to hear this has worked out for you - @aphekgreg after Bill season and Christmas season are over, I'd love to have a chat with you about building a set for my fretless JB4?
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 20 Nov 2017, 20:26

cleary wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 19:53
Stoked to hear this has worked out for you - @aphekgreg after Bill season and Christmas season are over, I'd love to have a chat with you about building a set for my fretless JB4?
No problem. Happy to make the for anybody who'd like to try some. I would have eventually tried some in my JB4, except Bassline bought it from me, before I got to it.

I have a set of split J pickups, that I think work really well too AND you can actually solo either pickup without noise. :hyper:
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

cleary

Post by cleary » 21 Nov 2017, 08:04

aphekgreg wrote:
20 Nov 2017, 20:26
No problem. Happy to make the for anybody who'd like to try some. I would have eventually tried some in my JB4, except Bassline bought it from me, before I got to it.

I have a set of split J pickups, that I think work really well too AND you can actually solo either pickup without noise. :hyper:
Thanks, I was hoping you'd be familiar with it, I'll give you a shout early next year hopefully :)
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 21 Nov 2017, 09:46

I'll try and find some time to record a few clips and put 'em up somewhere :-)
Fender CIJ 57RI P Bass, Warmoth Fretless PJ Bass, Bitsa Frankenbass PJ, Warwick $$ & 75' Fender Jazz Reissue.

Markbass LM Big Bang, GK MB500, Schroeder 1210pl, Eden EX112, Boss LMB-3, SGFX Beta, EMG GZR, Boss blah blah blah