DEMO BASSES:Jaco Fretless and Black P

Maker of handmade contemporary bass guitars (made in Melbourne) and teacher of bass guitar lutherie. Find out about the latest builds here.
David Searle Guitars

DEMO BASSES:Jaco Fretless and Black P

Post by David Searle Guitars » 31 Jul 2016, 12:15

Hi all,
I've been busy finishing off some demo basses for prospective students to try out when they come in to check out our courses!
It's one thing to talk with people about what we do but whole lot more to hand them an instrument and say "This is what YOU can make"

So first up is the Jaco.
It has an alder body. Nitro paint. Roasted (torrefied) maple neck with a two way truss rod and a few lengths of graphite inside. The fretboard is Macassar ebony that looks a lot like really dark rosewood but has the benefit of being able to stand up to the roundwound strings a little better. The hardware is all Gotoh vintage and the pickups are Fralin split coils with around the 9K output range.

In the booth.

I was going to relic this but everyone said a BIG NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Next up the Black P Bass

David Searle Guitars

Re: DEMO BASSES:Jaco Fretless and Black P

Post by David Searle Guitars » 31 Jul 2016, 12:30

And then there this little bit of goodness....

I've helped scores of students create P basses for years now. Literally dozens! Can you believe it, this is my first ever 'own' P bass build! 8|

So this one has an alder body finished in black gloss nitro. A gold anodized pickguard. All maple neck with a two way truss rod and a few lengths of graphite inside. The neck profile is round like a P bass should be. The pickup is a custom built P from Mick Brierley in South Australia. I asked it to have Alnico 5 slugs and wound to 12K! I didn't want wimpy. I wanted BIG. And that's exactly what I've got!! :cool:
Mick makes great guitar pickups and his work has been revered for decades now, but hasn't pushed into the bass world very much. Come and try this one out and feel the POWER!

Classic looks.
Please feel free to come and pound my poor old quad-box to pieces with this work of the devil!

Cheers, David.

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 23 Aug 2016, 12:00

I had a chance to play the P bass - it lived up to my high expectations. Top notch build quality. Lovely bass to play ... are the student works able to get in the ballpark of this kind of build accuracy? The student work build threads look great but I can't see myself doing anything this good, on a first go especially

basshack

Post by basshack » 23 Aug 2016, 12:36

ozrider wrote:I had a chance to play the P bass - it lived up to my high expectations. Top notch build quality. Lovely bass to play ... are the student works able to get in the ballpark of this kind of build accuracy? The student work build threads look great but I can't see myself doing anything this good, on a first go especially
I bet you could. David is really patient and can show/help you every step of the way. It's about taking your time and having the right tools available to do the job. You'd be surprised at the fixes he was able to make on some of the guys instruments to get them back on track back at NMIT. Ben (16) did Cookie Monster without really having used a screw driver before let alone a bandsaw and router. By the end of the build process he was telling me to disappear as he had it covered. Below all that fur is a body ready to clear coat if needed, no shortcuts taken.
... dial in some "J" to angry it up!

Got gear but little talent!

drbass

Post by drbass » 23 Aug 2016, 12:52

ozrider wrote:I had a chance to play the P bass - it lived up to my high expectations. Top notch build quality. Lovely bass to play ... are the student works able to get in the ballpark of this kind of build accuracy? The student work build threads look great but I can't see myself doing anything this good, on a first go especially
Come on, George, we talked (briefly) about this on Saturday. Like Blaine wrote David can provide a lot of guidance along the way to PREVENT any mistakes from happening in the first place.

You get a really good idea about the process;
you learn how to make informed decisions on what to do next;
you get to have input on parameters which means you can customise your build (e.g. slimmer or fatter or wider neck, slightly different pickup placements, customisation of body shape just to name a few);
and you have made something tangible.

I'd highly recommend you just come to the workshop, have a chat with David and have a look at the builds currently happening.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 fanned, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, ME1/5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 23 Aug 2016, 16:37

David Searle Guitars wrote:And then there this little bit of goodness....

I've helped scores of students create P basses for years now. Literally dozens! Can you believe it, this is my first ever 'own' P bass build! 8|

So this one has an alder body finished in black gloss nitro. A gold anodized pickguard. All maple neck with a two way truss rod and a few lengths of graphite inside. The neck profile is round like a P bass should be. The pickup is a custom built P from Mick Brierley in South Australia. I asked it to have Alnico 5 slugs and wound to 12K! I didn't want wimpy. I wanted BIG. And that's exactly what I've got!! :cool:
Mick makes great guitar pickups and his work has been revered for decades now, but hasn't pushed into the bass world very much. Come and try this one out and feel the POWER!

Classic looks.
Please feel free to come and pound my poor old quad-box to pieces with this work of the devil!

Cheers, David.
That is lovely - is that the same "look" or style as a mim Classis 50s ?
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3