PLB-6H 6 String Hybrid build (hollow contruction)

Maker of handmade contemporary bass guitars (made in Melbourne) and teacher of bass guitar lutherie. Find out about the latest builds here.
David Searle Guitars

PLB-6H 6 String Hybrid build (hollow contruction)

Post by David Searle Guitars » 02 Jan 2016, 18:22

Hi all,
I've been busy lately on another challenging project for Peter Lamburd. This 6 string bass takes its inspiration from Fodera's latest 'flagship' hollow body builds.

This bass has a 36" scale, American red oak neck with a birdseye maple fretboard. The neck also has a black veneer along its length that also continues along its headstock. The headstock is veneered on both the upper face (Spruce) and the rear (birdseye maple). Inside the neck is a collection of two truss rods (Peter wants this neck to be thin) and a a number of carbon fibre rods. The fretboard has a 20" radius and has Paua shell dots on its edge.
The body is double thickness alder which has a centre veneer and two outer veneers of black. Covering this will be carved front and back plates of spruce. The neck will have an extensive rear cut-away behind the upper twelve frets, but will not have a tummy cut. (Peter doesn't need one!!!) Inside the body will be a block area that the neck glues into, and a tail block to hold the string retainer. Other than some internal top bracing (rather like a jazz guitar) the inside of the body of this bass will be all hollow.
The bridge will be made of birdseye maple and the string retainer from gold plated brass. This method of bridge worked brilliantly with Peter's blue bass so we thought that we'd go there again.
The pickup is a Nodstrand A5 humbucker housed in a birdseye maple cover and as with Peter's blue bass, there will be nothing in the signal chain other than an on/off switch that has a third position that puts the signal through a capacitor to create the sound of a half turned down tone pot.
All parts that are metal will be gold plated and sticking with the gold theme the satin nitro paint will also be tinted to a yellow/golden hue.
So some picks of the project!!
The body template sitting on one of the spruce plates.

This shot shows the areas inside the double thickness body that are hollow. Also the neck block (to be cut down extensively before gluing the neck in place.

David Searle Guitars

Re: PLB-6H 6 String Hybrid build (hollow contruction)

Post by David Searle Guitars » 02 Jan 2016, 18:25

Another angle of the hollowed area.

These shots show the neck pocket into the centre block. This all had to be done with a 1.5 deg. angle to get the strings going up hill to the bridge.

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 02 Jan 2016, 18:31

Possibly should have shown this one first! This is the template to create the inside hollow area. Let me tell you that it was the biggest rout that I've had to do. The neighbours must have been wrapped!!

This shot shows the bottom veneer of black being glued down. I basically compressed the body onto one of my large sanding boards, sandwiching the veneer in between. It also shows how much I like clamps!!!

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 02 Jan 2016, 18:37

This shot shows the neck blank sitting on top of the 1:1 scale drawings of the bass. It also has a P bass marking out template sitting next to it to give you some sort of size reference!

A little bit of detail before I glue in all the goodies into the neck!

It will be interesting to see what this red oak sound like when done.

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 02 Jan 2016, 18:45

And a shot of the neck sitting in the body. The neck at this point has had the fretboard glued down and trimmed to fit the neck pocket rout. The body hasn't as yet had all of its outer areas all sanded down to their final shape. I was going to leave the area behind the bridge extended to give me something to screw into to locate the top plate while gluing. Also the cutaway need some clearing out.

And from another angle. You can see where I've been marking out where the rear cutaway will be under the neck.

And another close up.

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 02 Jan 2016, 18:48

Some shots of the neck slotted with the 3mm Paua dots along its length.

You can just make out in the first shot the marking out of where the top two strings sit on the fretboard, so that the dots will sit in between them.

Cheers, David.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 02 Jan 2016, 19:05

Another Peter Lamburd special. He certainly does give you some challenging builds David :thumbup:
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

drbass

Post by drbass » 02 Jan 2016, 20:06

Don't think you'll be hearing much of the red oak - it looks like a graphite/steel neck :) . And I'm sure you could have put a couple more in, plenty of space left.

Seriously, looks very interesting and challenging indeed.

Have you started your workshop yet, David? I've been building some fences and am sick of that attention to detail stuff, have to do some roughing out basses some time soon. Let me know.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 fanned, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, ME1/5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

Bassboy

Post by Bassboy » 02 Jan 2016, 23:29

Wow can't wait to see how this one finishes up
Your an amazing g builder David loving the Fretless.

Peter TRB

Post by Peter TRB » 03 Jan 2016, 15:12

Wow-from discussion to realization in such a short time. Looks fabulous Dave. Looks like the Blue bass will have a canary yellow sidekick in the near future. :popcorn:

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 17 Jan 2016, 08:47

Now for some update shots!
The neck has been glued into the body and the following shots show the neck carving (which needs to be done before the top and back plates go on) and also the rear cut-away behind the neck (which is big enough to park a Cadillac in!!!)

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 17 Jan 2016, 08:51

and some more...

In these shots you can get a sense of the size of the rear cutaway. I've included a section of rosewood in the neck join as a highlight and have carved the neck to a super slim profile all the way up to the top fret area.

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 17 Jan 2016, 08:53

and then some more...

In this shot you can see the rear of the headstock veneers ans the fine carving up to the volute.

Next up will be the top and back plates!

Cheers, David.

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 17 Jan 2016, 11:39

that's a crazy amount of work!!! perfectly executed as usually :thumbup:

Peter TRB

Post by Peter TRB » 17 Jan 2016, 15:54

:partydance: Great work David. Looks massive but will be ultralight. I am enjoying seeing this come together.