David Galea 6 String Fretless build

Maker of handmade contemporary bass guitars (made in Melbourne) and teacher of bass guitar lutherie. Find out about the latest builds here.
David Searle Guitars

Re: David Galea 6 String Fretless build

Post by David Searle Guitars » 14 Dec 2015, 11:00

AND some finished shots. David's Bass is now completed. I'll be taking it apart, boxing it up, flying it to Brisbane and reassembling it at David's place. You've got to love couriers...NOT! So I'm off to the airport tomorrow!
I must say this has been a lovely build that I know David will really enjoy. There has been loads of great ideas and much beautiful material to work with!

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 14 Dec 2015, 11:04

Last edited by David Searle Guitars on 14 Dec 2015, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

Clusterpod

Post by Clusterpod » 14 Dec 2015, 11:59

Oooooh *drool*
LeCompte TR6, '82 MIA Fender P Special, Maton JB4,
My Photography Blog

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 14 Dec 2015, 17:24

That's such a stunning looking instrument. What a magnificent job David :cool:

And delivering to QLD in person......now that's going above and beyond the call. But I understand how you'd be reluctant to let this go by courier. Have a great flight :yep
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 14 Dec 2015, 19:00

Classic5 wrote:That's such a stunning looking instrument. What a magnificent job David :cool:

And delivering to QLD in person......now that's going above and beyond the call. But I understand how you'd be reluctant to let this go by courier. Have a great flight :yep
Thanks for the kind words Ivan!

And YES couriers are a joke! :rollno:

Cheers, David.

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 15 Dec 2015, 19:25

This one was delivered to day to Brisbane! It was lovely to meet David Galea (and his family) in person. I had the bass all set up the other day and then went about breaking it down to neck and body to fly it up. About 15 minutes after arriving at David's place it was all adjusted and ready to go! And let me tell you all David Can play more than 'just a bit'. It is the stuff of luthiers dreams to hear their instruments played with such proficiency and grace. He of course whipped out some of his own compositions and then casually as you like trotted out some very complex and exact Jaco. All on a bass that he's only just laid hands on. Just amazing.
And then back to Melbourne! What a day!

Bassboy

Post by Bassboy » 15 Dec 2015, 19:29

Thanks David for the kind words and what an awesome day I have had starting to get to know this amazing instrument, you truely are a master as this is the nicest instrument I have owned and like most bass players I have owned a lot.
It was great to chew the fat with you and I am sure we could have spoken about bass all day, thanks again mate and I have already started plotting a design and a saving plan for the next one.
Dave

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 16 Dec 2015, 12:30

Congratulations on your new fretless David G. It is stunning :thumbup:
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."