Newly finished student work!

Maker of handmade contemporary bass guitars (made in Melbourne) and teacher of bass guitar lutherie. Find out about the latest builds here.
David Searle Guitars

Newly finished student work!

Post by David Searle Guitars » 09 Mar 2015, 15:31

Not my work this time for this thread, but my students work!

In this thread I'd like to pay tribute to the students that come and enjoy the process of making basses with me. The students come to me with an idea for a bass or guitar build and I guide them through the design and making process.

For those that have a bass or guitar making 'itch that they need to scratch', I have the cure!

This first student is Maurice Magner. He built a P bass replica and a Tele replica before this build. For this one he wanted more of a challenge. So I suggested a neck through construction consisting of a three piece maple neck with solid Australian blackwood wings. Its scale is 34" with a rosewood fretboard. The headstock has a few laminates of decorative veneer on it and has a beautifully carved volute on the rear. The neck profile has a P bass shape to it. Full but not huge. The neck to body transition carve is absolutely perfect! Hardware is all Gotoh in black. Pickups are Dimarzio with J bass passive wiring. The body has been finished in satin nitro.

Well done Maurice.

Rude_Mechanical

Re: Newly finished student work!

Post by Rude_Mechanical » 09 Mar 2015, 15:34

Oh, those curves. Lovely. "Everything in its right place", as Radiohead would say.
"Turn everything to 11, dump instruments in front of the amp and manipulate pedals for 5 minutes" - me.

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 09 Mar 2015, 15:39

Maurice Magner bass build.
Screwing down the last piece of the puzzle! On goes the truss rod cover.
One proud builder. And rightly so!

Congratulations Maurice.
And yes....It plays and sounds as good as it looks.

cheers, David.

Oh and I forgot to mention, the fretboard dots are made of sterling silver!.........for their tone of course :D

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 09 Mar 2015, 15:42

Rude_Mechanical wrote:Oh, those curves. Lovely. "Everything in its right place", as Radiohead would say.
YES! Those curves! Maurice tweaked the design until he was happy with it. Its such a pleasure to see the students complete something this beautiful.

cheers, David.

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 09 Mar 2015, 15:44

I really like it, headstock design very yin/yang... don't know if that was the intention. A beauty.

cleary

Post by cleary » 09 Mar 2015, 16:03

It's a beauty - looking forward to seeing more of them :)
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

drbass

Post by drbass » 09 Mar 2015, 16:36

Very nice, tiny waist (I like :) !).
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, "Red Baron" 5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 09 Mar 2015, 16:58

I like it a lot! It reminds me of a Pedulla.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

ozrider

Post by ozrider » 09 Mar 2015, 17:04

yes very pedulla, you don't hear much about pedulla but they're lovely basses in the flesh...

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 09 Mar 2015, 17:25

That looks Terrific....well done Maurice and David :thumbup:

Would love to hear how it sounds......any possibility of a video at some stage?
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 09 Mar 2015, 17:40

This looks pretty damn good in person, I was lucky enough to see it during the final clear coat application I think.
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz

Rude_Mechanical

Post by Rude_Mechanical » 09 Mar 2015, 19:29

That's what it reminds me of - a Pedulla crossed with an Ibanez Musician.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
"Turn everything to 11, dump instruments in front of the amp and manipulate pedals for 5 minutes" - me.

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 09 Mar 2015, 19:43

Rude_Mechanical wrote:That's what it reminds me of - a Pedulla crossed with an Ibanez Musician.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Yes well spotted! The Pedulla in the design is for Maurice's part, a coincidence. It's something I saw in his drawing that I liked a lot! The other part (Ibanez Musician) comes from my very first electric guitar. It was a '78 6 string electric that shared the same design aesthetic and construction methods as the bass guitars. The three piece laminated maple neck with its neck carve and blend into the body is something I knew would work very nicely. Maurice did a great job of it. It was his first neck through instrument. The volute was also in keeping with the Musician. It is very nice to play and access all the way up to the top frets is completely unhindered.

Cheers, David.

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 28 Mar 2015, 09:23

Izzy Flook and her newly finished P

Congratulation to Izzy, who finished her bass on Thursday. Izzy came and did the Melbourne Polytechnic course with myself and fellow teacher Rob Pryke. Izzy's bass is a classic combination of Alder body, maple and rosewood neck. This 4 stringer has been finished in Daphne blue nitro, with a classic tortoise pickguard. The neck profile is P bass style 'full and round' with medium/wide fretwire. Izzy has used a Gotoh bridge combined with Grover tuners (all in chrome). The pickups are Fender '63 'pure vintage' series units. For anyone wanting a great P sound, you've got to try them. The strings are La Bella .045 - .105 'Deep Talkin' Flats.

This bass plays beautifully, set with a low action, it gives off the classic sounds of the 60's and 70's. Just loads of thump and grind! Izzy will be using her 'new born' in her band that plays around Melbourne.

Well done Izzy!

Cheers, David.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 29 Mar 2015, 07:40

That blue body came out so well, congrats Izzy!
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz