New single cut 5 string bass (PLB5-SC) No.#2 $SOLD

Maker of handmade contemporary bass guitars (made in Melbourne) and teacher of bass guitar lutherie. Find out about the latest builds here.
David Searle Guitars

New single cut 5 string bass (PLB5-SC) No.#2 $SOLD

Post by David Searle Guitars » 19 Feb 2015, 19:00

Hi All,
I've set myself to create a new series of basses starting with some double cut and some neck-through models. This is the second single cut bass in this five string run.
All of these designs have their origins in Peter Lamburd's 6 string blue bass (hence the PLB model designation). The body size has been narrowed down for these 5 string versions. I've also gone for a neck through design for the single-cut as I feel that the bolt on method (as used on Peter Lamburd's original blue bass) would be a little cramped behind the neck in the upper register for the players thumb.

This bass will have a neck-through made of quarter sawn wenge with a rear 'tone block' of maple. The neck will be a 35" scale with a rosewood fretboard that has small frets (as per Dingwall and Fodera). The neck will also have an angled and veneered headstock. Internally the neck will have a double action truss rod with graphite reinforcement.

The body wings will be constructed from alder with a pin stripe of white and black veneer, with a highly figured top of blackwood from a very old tree stump that has been salvaged by Big sky timber.

I don't have a set opinion on what pickups and pre-amp that I'll use for this bass. So I'm open to suggestions from forum members. Let me know what you think.

Some shots:
The alder wing sections.
The marking out template over the alder sections.

Cheers, David
Last edited by David Searle Guitars on 20 Nov 2015, 06:59, edited 2 times in total.

David Searle Guitars

Re: New single cut 5 string bass (PLB5-SC) No.#2

Post by David Searle Guitars » 19 Feb 2015, 19:02

And some more shots:

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 19 Feb 2015, 19:04

And some more....

This one is going to be very pretty!

Cheers, David.

drbass

Post by drbass » 19 Feb 2015, 19:07

Nice - smaller body, wenge neck, 35", small frets, sounds familiar :), might like this one, particularly since the SC is not all that prominent.

Looks great, particularly love the wenge neck, can't wait to get going with mine.

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 fanned, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, ME1/5, Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 19 Feb 2015, 19:19

drbass wrote:Nice - smaller body, wenge neck, 35", small frets, sounds familiar :), might like this one, particularly since the SC is not all that prominent.

Looks great, particularly love the wenge neck, can't wait to get going with mine.

Regards,
Michael
You'll probably like the next one in the series.....it's a double cut neck through. Alder wings topped with nicely figures silky oak from QLD......

Cheers, David.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 19 Feb 2015, 19:20

I agree, this looks real interesting :yep

A pair of Seymour Duncan dual coils would be magic :cool:
Last edited by Classic5 on 19 Feb 2015, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X, Ibanez SRF700 Fretless
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 19 Feb 2015, 19:22

Classic5 wrote:I agree, this looks real interesting :yep

A pair of Duncan dual coils would be magic :cool:
Mmmmmmmm. Seymour Duncan NYC's like the fodera's?

Could be a match made in heaven!

Cheers, David.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 19 Feb 2015, 19:30

That Blackwood top looks amazing too, as does the Wenge neck.........David, I'm quite taken by this one.
"The fact that there's a highway to Hell and only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic...."

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 19 Feb 2015, 19:43

Classic5 wrote:That Blackwood top looks amazing too, as does the Wenge neck.........David, I'm quite taken by this one.
Thanks Ivan.
I found the top material at the 'working with wood 'show last November at Jeff's shed! One look and I knew it would be very nice for a neck through. If you look closely you can see a rainbow effect of many colours mixed in with a grey-ish hue of the old blackwood. It's actually very bleached out in some places! I also like that it was salvaged material.

On the pickup front, I have been doing my homework on pickups and found that many of the quality makers have settled on a particular soapbar size originating from the Bartolini P2 pickup. It's dimensions are 32mm X 108mm. Bartolini, Aguilar, Aero and Nordstrand are all making pickups to this size in single and double coil variations. Not a bad selection to choose from indeed!

Cheers, David.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 19 Feb 2015, 19:52

Ok, that's a great choice of pickups......I can see you've given this a great deal of thought. :thumbup:

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 29 Apr 2015, 20:51

Some progress shots!

Since my last post for this bass I've made a few changes to the specs! I took a good look at the overall visuall combination of the dark wenge centre of the neck through design and thought that it made for a very dark looking instrument. Every time I placed a maple neck through section between the blackwood wings it looked so much nicer. So I 'bit the bullet' and constructed another maple neck through blank with an ebony fretboard.
Same dimensions and specs as the wenge, just well.....lighter looking!

Some shots.
This shot shows the new neck, just before gluing in the Mother of pearl inlay at the twelfth fret and the sterling silver fret dots.

This shot shows the maple neck through. No frets as yet. You can just make out the matching blackwood headstock veneer in this shot.

This shot shows the Fodera style 'alder 'tone block' under the maple of the neck though design.

Cheers, David.

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 29 Apr 2015, 20:54

And some more.

This bass is going to be very hard to part with :cry , but I can't keep them all..... (according to my wife!!!) :hellno:

Cheers, David.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 30 Apr 2015, 20:00

Beautiful.....these single cut basses are really exceptional. Can't wait to see the final product, but am also enjoying the progress reports.

David Searle Guitars

Post by David Searle Guitars » 31 May 2015, 11:07

Some more shots of the body trimmed up and some shaping happening.

Players view point
Some rear cutaway carving starting to take shape
And from another angle.

Cheers, David.

Ade22

Post by Ade22 » 17 Nov 2015, 18:59

any progress David?