Mahogany Double-cut (PLB5-DC) $3400

Maker of handmade contemporary bass guitars (made in Melbourne) and teacher of bass guitar lutherie. Find out about the latest builds here.
User avatar
David Searle Guitars
Posts: 387
Joined: 05 Jul 2013, 20:52

Mahogany Double-cut (PLB5-DC) $3400

Post by David Searle Guitars » 08 Feb 2015, 15:12

Hi All,
I've set myself to create a new series of basses starting with some double cut and some neck-through models.
All of these designs have their origins in Peter Lamburd's 6 string blue bass (hence the PLB model designation). The body size has been narrowed down for these 5 string versions, and an upper horn has been added. The lower cut-away/horn is retained from the original design.

This model is a slightly smaller version to its Alder twin. This time with Mahogany as the body wood and some wild blue veneer on its face. The construction of this bass will also be bolt on (5 bolt). The neck will also be quarter sawn maple with a rosewood fretboard, dual action truss rod with graphite rods. It's scale length will be 35" and have small frets as per its twin. I haven't locked in the type of pickups that I'll use yet (so many great options now. We really are spoiled for choice!) The bridge will most likely be Hipshot type A.

Image

Cheers, David.
Last edited by David Searle Guitars on 14 Dec 2015, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
David Searle Guitars
Posts: 387
Joined: 05 Jul 2013, 20:52

Re: Mahogany Double-cut (PLB5-DC)

Post by David Searle Guitars » 08 Feb 2015, 15:16

And some more shots.
Image
Marking out the neck pocket.
Image
Awaiting their tummy cuts!

Cheers, David.

User avatar
David Searle Guitars
Posts: 387
Joined: 05 Jul 2013, 20:52

Re: Mahogany Double-cut (PLB5-DC)

Post by David Searle Guitars » 08 Feb 2015, 15:20

The neck blanks.
Two piece quarter sawn maple. Awaiting there next machining. I like to rest them for a while to allow for possible movement after the first lot of machining and gluing.
Image

User avatar
David Searle Guitars
Posts: 387
Joined: 05 Jul 2013, 20:52

Re: Mahogany Double-cut (PLB5-DC)

Post by David Searle Guitars » 08 Feb 2015, 15:30

The neck pocket machined in.
Image

User avatar
David Searle Guitars
Posts: 387
Joined: 05 Jul 2013, 20:52

Re: Mahogany Double-cut (PLB5-DC)

Post by David Searle Guitars » 29 Apr 2015, 20:31

Some neck action finally.

Image

A little hard to see, but with this shot I've captured the neck with its matching veneer on its headstock and its highly figured maple fretboard.

Cheers, David.

User avatar
David Searle Guitars
Posts: 387
Joined: 05 Jul 2013, 20:52

Re: Mahogany Double-cut (PLB5-DC) $3400

Post by David Searle Guitars » 14 Dec 2015, 10:33

Hi all,
I've just recently finished this 5 string bass and would like to share some shots and specs.

Construction: Bolt on (5 bolt)
Body: Mahogany with a man made dyed veneer overlay.
Neck: 2 piece quartersawn (lightly figure) maple with a black veneer. The fretboard is highly flamed maple with Paua shell dot position markers. Double action truss rod with graphite rods.
Scale: 35"
Fretwire: Medium/wide.
Tuners: Gotoh
Bridge: Black Hipshot A style 18mm
Strap locks: Schaller (black)
Preamp: 2 band Glockenklang
Pickups: Nordstrand big singles.
Paint: Satin nitro

Price: $3400

Note: This body style is slightly smaller that my current crop and will become my standard body size for bolt on 4's and 5's in the future! It's super comfortably!

Image

Image
Last edited by David Searle Guitars on 14 Dec 2015, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
David Searle Guitars
Posts: 387
Joined: 05 Jul 2013, 20:52

Re: Mahogany Double-cut (PLB5-DC) $3400

Post by David Searle Guitars » 14 Dec 2015, 10:34

And a few more..

Image

Image
Last edited by David Searle Guitars on 14 Dec 2015, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
David Searle Guitars
Posts: 387
Joined: 05 Jul 2013, 20:52

Re: Mahogany Double-cut (PLB5-DC) $3400

Post by David Searle Guitars » 14 Dec 2015, 10:35

and some more...

Image

Image
Last edited by David Searle Guitars on 14 Dec 2015, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
David Searle Guitars
Posts: 387
Joined: 05 Jul 2013, 20:52

Re: Mahogany Double-cut (PLB5-DC) $3400

Post by David Searle Guitars » 14 Dec 2015, 10:40

and a couple more..

Image

Image

Some nice detail shots to finish with.

Interestingly this bass out of my current production run is the nicest one to play regarding comfort and fit to the body. The veneer has an amazing visual impact that reminds me of paisley and I love the colour combination with the blond neck and fretboard!

User avatar
RedVee
Posts: 1054
Joined: 19 Nov 2014, 20:31
Location: Macarthur area, NSW

Re: Mahogany Double-cut (PLB5-DC) $3400

Post by RedVee » 14 Dec 2015, 20:06

That does look pretty good.

May I ask a slightly 'out there' question? I'm looking at the reverse side. Is that a natural colour for mahogany?
So if I 'rehabilitated' an Epi EB0 or EB3 by rubbing it back or otherwise stripping the Cherry colour, would I get to that colour wood?
Purely theoretical question for now btw.
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

User avatar
David Searle Guitars
Posts: 387
Joined: 05 Jul 2013, 20:52

Re: Mahogany Double-cut (PLB5-DC) $3400

Post by David Searle Guitars » 15 Dec 2015, 19:16

RedVee wrote:That does look pretty good.

May I ask a slightly 'out there' question? I'm looking at the reverse side. Is that a natural colour for mahogany?
So if I 'rehabilitated' an Epi EB0 or EB3 by rubbing it back or otherwise stripping the Cherry colour, would I get to that colour wood?
Purely theoretical question for now btw.
Well you'd have to get right under whatever the maker has put on there. With modern finishes that's not always as easy as it once was! Also mahogany can vary in its colour intensity. Some of it is a light tan/orange, some of it is more orange/brown. All of it will oxidize to a deep brown if exposed to sunlight and oxygen for long enough!

Cheers, David

User avatar
RedVee
Posts: 1054
Joined: 19 Nov 2014, 20:31
Location: Macarthur area, NSW

Re: Mahogany Double-cut (PLB5-DC) $3400

Post by RedVee » 15 Dec 2015, 19:59

David Searle Guitars wrote:
RedVee wrote:That does look pretty good.

May I ask a slightly 'out there' question? I'm looking at the reverse side. Is that a natural colour for mahogany?
So if I 'rehabilitated' an Epi EB0 or EB3 by rubbing it back or otherwise stripping the Cherry colour, would I get to that colour wood?
Purely theoretical question for now btw.
Well you'd have to get right under whatever the maker has put on there. With modern finishes that's not always as easy as it once was! Also mahogany can vary in its colour intensity. Some of it is a light tan/orange, some of it is more orange/brown. All of it will oxidize to a deep brown if exposed to sunlight and oxygen for long enough!

Cheers, David
Thanks David, yeah I thought it had a reddish hue.
So it sounds like a gamble then, maybe I'll give it a go 'sometime' if all the stars align.
Can always apply a finish again if it comes out crook. :D

I was thinking a light (almost pine furniture) coloured EB3 to Ripper shape could look ok.

Cheers,

Geoff
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

User avatar
PilbaraBass
Posts: 15026
Joined: 23 Oct 2008, 17:07
Location: Gladstone, QLD

Re: Mahogany Double-cut (PLB5-DC) $3400

Post by PilbaraBass » 16 Dec 2015, 08:07

That looks incredible... Unique and classy.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Suitable
Posts: 47
Joined: 27 Nov 2016, 09:52

Re: Mahogany Double-cut (PLB5-DC) $3400

Post by Suitable » 21 Jan 2017, 13:28

RedVee wrote:
David Searle Guitars wrote:
RedVee wrote:That does look pretty good.

May I ask a slightly 'out there' question? I'm looking at the reverse side. Is that a natural colour for mahogany?
So if I 'rehabilitated' an Epi EB0 or EB3 by rubbing it back or otherwise stripping the Cherry colour, would I get to that colour wood?
Purely theoretical question for now btw.
Well you'd have to get right under whatever the maker has put on there. With modern finishes that's not always as easy as it once was! Also mahogany can vary in its colour intensity. Some of it is a light tan/orange, some of it is more orange/brown. All of it will oxidize to a deep brown if exposed to sunlight and oxygen for long enough!

Cheers, David
Thanks David, yeah I thought it had a reddish hue.
So it sounds like a gamble then, maybe I'll give it a go 'sometime' if all the stars align.
Can always apply a finish again if it comes out crook. :D

I was thinking a light (almost pine furniture) coloured EB3 to Ripper shape could look ok.

Cheers,

Geoff
Try "Oxalic acid" to "bleach" the timber if you want a lighter colour with any timber your working with. Works a treat :thumbup:
Great deals with Steve77 & B_jamin! Top blokes :thumbup:

matteojpedro
Posts: 3
Joined: 16 Mar 2017, 16:18

Re: Mahogany Double-cut (PLB5-DC) $3400

Post by matteojpedro » 19 Mar 2017, 14:57

Hi David, would you be able to say what the weight is for this bass?
Thanks Matteo

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest