How to stop your upright bass feeding back.

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
slowlearner

Re: How to stop your upright bass feeding back.

Post by slowlearner » 03 Nov 2011, 16:55

Ok, so I think I get that, but the compressor on my amp (which is great for electric) has ONE knob. So even if I wanted to comtrol all those features, I can't.

I do however, have a Robert Keeley 4 knob compressor but that's attached to me guitar pedal board.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 03 Nov 2011, 17:37

One knob conpressors generally have just a threshold control .. Ratio is most-likely fixed (probably somewhere around 3:1 - 5:1). The attack and release are definitely fixed. And not very fast, I'd say.

On these types of compressors, I would generally keep the threshold high (knob low). That's because the ratio is usually a bit higher than what I usually prefer.

It certainly doesn't hurt to mess around with it a bit and see what you like.

Robert Keeley compressors suck a little bit of low end (all Ross clones do)
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

goldenyouth

Post by goldenyouth » 13 Jan 2012, 08:20

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but thought I would add this incase anyone is struggling.

I have finally found a setup where I can control the feedback in high volume environments and I couldn't be happier.

So my setup from the bass is now:
K+K preamp > tuner pedal > Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor > Boss GEB-7 EQ. If you want to know what specific settings I have on each pedal, I am happy to post pics.

I have also wedged a towel behind the tailpiece which supringly made a huge difference as well.

:)
Success And Nothing Less

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 13 Jan 2012, 09:28

Top stuff mate. :)

Ben_Dougherty

Post by Ben_Dougherty » 13 Jan 2012, 11:29

hi slowlearner, i am experimenting with upright and this is all good info for when i actually feel comfortable enough to use it live :)

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 13 Jan 2012, 16:01

Mate, just take it and jump in the deep end. You'll figure it out fast. ;)

goldenyouth

Post by goldenyouth » 16 Jan 2012, 10:16

thats basically how I am doing it. There aren't a lot of upright players locally, so these forums are vital for me :)

just dive in and go for it, learn as you go!
Success And Nothing Less

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 16 Jan 2012, 17:48

One way to stop it feeding back is to fill it with popcorn :D
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

goldenyouth

Post by goldenyouth » 17 Jan 2012, 08:07

One of the guys I used to play with filled his bass full of that expanding foam. I don't know if it made much of a difference in weight, but he never seemed to have any feedback issues.
Success And Nothing Less

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 19 Jan 2012, 09:28

Oh jeez.... THat' fine for rockabilly but it will never sound decent acoustic any more... :(

jimmyjam

Post by jimmyjam » 19 Jan 2012, 12:19

My 2 cents worth:
As a full time player who dies a lot of upright work (4 upright gigs this week) I think that the actual instrument, setup and pickup make more difference than amp settings. I use a mic (ev re18) on 95% of my upright gigs blended with a fishman bp100. On stupidly loud gigs anything will feedback, (I even had feedback from my magnetic pickup with one band!) BUT to say you can't do a loud gig with a mic is not entirely accurate...
Ever wondered how singers in metal bands are heard? They use a mic. Eq settings will depend entirely on each particular gigs circumstances, and player preferences. I actually use the pickup blended to compensate for spill on loud gigs, not feedback.
All that said, I have found there does seem to be a threshold of volume above which a real upright will not sound real anymore, so then I play my electric upright or bass guitar.
"I play bass, most kinds!"
I endorse Remic Microphones.

greenwood mac

Post by greenwood mac » 25 Oct 2017, 06:07

I've recently gone over to double bass in the last twelve months, and encountered all the usual feedback problems. I play in quite a loud blues band, and found it difficult to be heard alongside the rest of the band, drums, sax, keyboards etc. I found that my Fishman platinum pro certainly helped, as did my Schaller magnetic pick up. (I've also recently bought a BBand Di electret transducers pick up, which sounds great, but haven't had much time to really test it yet.
I've started making my own version of f hole plugs, which are a matt black, hardly noticible from more than a few feet away and a definite help to control feedback. Please check them out.
www.f-itsfeedbackblockers.co.uk
definitely better than gaffer tape.
cheers.

Roscolev

Post by Roscolev » 04 Nov 2017, 19:58

I've played upright bass for about 10 years now mainly in jazz bands but some musical theater. My upright has a solid top with ply sides and back and I use a Realist pickup. Feedback has not been a problem at most gigs. Smaller ones I use a single Epifani UL2110 (a single 10 inch speaker) and a Henriksen Jazzamp head. That set up seems to give me genuine acoustic sound reproduction. Larger gigs I'm DI straight to the desk and my amp is just a monitor. I have had issues when I've played gigs doing rock and jazz as I prefer to use a Gallien Krueger MB200 into a 12 inch Avatar cab for rock pieces. That combination just doesn't want to play fair with the upright no matter where I stand! So in my opinion and from my experience the combination of quality pickup, amplifier and speaker size make the difference as to what happens with the sound.

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 04 Nov 2017, 20:32

Different pickups and preamp combinations work with different basses eg. My last bass seemed to have a resonant frequency around middle c so at high volume I had to use an eq pedal to pull that down. The realist pickup is particularly bassy which can be overpowering on some basses.

Ime most feedback problems will come from low end boom so an adjustable high pass filter like the fdeck is essential to have in the bag. Fixed frequency eqs aren't bad but don't give you the ability to tune in the exact sweet spot.
Duesenberg MC Starplayer, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda