International shipping tips, advice n stuff

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
BassLine

Re: International shipping tips, advice n stuff

Post by BassLine » 01 Nov 2013, 13:13

Can anyone give me a quick summary of price threshold(s) that Govt Duty kicks in? And what music stuff is exempt and what's not?

I'm looking at importing from the US a Jule Amps Monique (Dove Cage), Demeter Minnie, and maybe a custom padded case.

What happens when you send something international for repair? Are there additional fees there?
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 01 Nov 2013, 13:25

Duty kicks in at $1000Au - that's the value of the item only, but you are charged Duty and GST on the item AND shipping.

You shouldn't have to pay anything for repairs - but good luck explaining it.
Duesenberg MC Starplayer, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 01 Nov 2013, 14:24

Remember, that there is no duty paid on goods manufactured in the US, because of the Free Trade Agreement. So, over $1000 AUD you are only up for 10% GST on what you're looking at, Owen.

If you need to ship something back to the US for repairs, make sure the manufacturer clearly states on the shipping documentation that it's a warranty return, and you should be sweet. Happened to me once with a neck crack on a G&L and they required the entire bass returned to the US to have the neck replaced. G&L included enough info on the return shipping con note that Customs didn't question it.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

maxgroover

Post by maxgroover » 01 Nov 2013, 14:57

Aussie Mark wrote:Remember, that there is no duty paid on goods manufactured in the US, because of the Free Trade Agreement. So, over $1000 AUD you are only up for 10% GST on what you're looking at, Owen.
The only thing I'd add to this is that customs may still try to charge you for duty when the item lands. You will need to email them to explain the exemption (I think there's a tarriff no for it??). I've had to do this a couple of times but both times they were happy to requote the fees required with the duty removed.
Ozbass moderator

The Moods Band

Mailloux, Fender, Lakland, Musicman, Rickenbacker, Univox basses
Genz Benz, BBE, Crown, Zoom amps and preamps
Bergantino & Genz Benz Cabs

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 01 Nov 2013, 15:00

maxgroover wrote:The only thing I'd add to this is that customs may still try to charge you for duty when the item lands. You will need to email them to explain the exemption (I think there's a tarriff no for it??). I've had to do this a couple of times but both times they were happy to requote the fees required with the duty removed.
The TCO (tariff concession order) relates to "Electric bass guitar, solid body", which means there is no import duty charged on basses, no matter which country they are manufactured in. In Owen's case, he's importing electrical goods, which would normally attract a 5% import duty, but since they are manufactured in the USA, they are exempt under the US-Australia Free Trade Agreement, so all the import documentation and/or invoice has to state is "Country of manufacture = USA" and he should be sweet. But as you say, not all Customs staff are savvy to every provision of things, so sometimes you have to point it out to them before they invoice you the correct amount prior to releasing your goods.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 01 Nov 2013, 15:48

EDIT: [the Minnie alone] comes to AU$1038 + $61 shipping international + $110 GST = $1210 total. :(
No shortcuts there.....

I was trying to work out if it'd be better to ship it as a completely separate package and save the 10% GST on it. Looks like its already exempt from duty anyway.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 01 Nov 2013, 16:04

Monique alone is US$1300....
At least AU$1450 w/ exchange and shipping, + $145 GST = AU$1600.
$200+ for the custom padded bag.

= $3000 for the lot landed [Monique + Minnie + Case] :cry:

I'll hit up my Nashville mate and see when he's coming home next. I've just missed a couple who are about to return to Aus permanently.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 01 Nov 2013, 16:07

BassLine wrote:Monique US$1300....

= $3000 for the lot landed. :cry:

I'll hit up my Nashville mate and see when he's coming home next. I've just missed a couple who are about to return to Aus permanently.
Daniel ("Soong") is heading to the US shortly. Get Jules to post it to wherever Daniel is staying, and he can bring it back in his luggage.

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 01 Nov 2013, 16:09

Wait time for order today is second week in December. Then to ship it....

Wwolof

Post by Wwolof » 01 Nov 2013, 16:18

BassLine wrote:Monique US$1300....

= $3000 for the lot landed. :cry:
Er, haven't you slipped an extra $1000 onto the bill there? Did I miss something?

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 01 Nov 2013, 16:56

^ Add the Minnie power amp.
[I've edited above, adding the bits in brackets for clarification].

Monique $1300
Minnie $1000
Custom Padded Case $200
= ($2500 + Postage) x Exchange Rate + Paypal/CC fees + 10%GST.

Wwolof

Post by Wwolof » 01 Nov 2013, 17:07

Aaaaaah.

/light bulb going off

Still, you'd have the nicest amp on the block!

wilbur88

Post by wilbur88 » 02 Nov 2013, 17:33

dazzalenko wrote:I guess the other option is to use Shipito's assisted purchase option, but that costs extra...
I didn't know there was that option at shipitto. Just looked into it, but for auctions, they only do it on Buy It Now purchases. Damn. I have a US eBay seller refusing to sell me a bass that's ending tonight because my shipping address and billing address are not the same. :/
'82 Steinberger L-2 : '78 Gibson Grabber G3 : '06 Gibson T-bird : '06 Gretsch G6072 Country Gentleman : '11 Fender 60th Anniversary P : '78 Guild B302F : '05 Warwick CS SS1 5

Fender TV

bloodmason

Post by bloodmason » 19 Sep 2016, 13:10

Hey all, does anyone know if shipito will repack into a smaller box with only the basic individual package account?

I've used them numerous times before but this time round the eBay seller has packed my purchase into an exceedingly large box, which with shipito calculations is gonna be >$270US to ship vs ~$150US for the last bass I had sent over here, which was both a larger bass/case & heavier!

I'm hoping I can get shipito to pack this into a smaller box for me. I think for the $120 it will save it is worth whatever fee they may charge. Anyone else done this before?

Oh.... and prepare for a NBD.... something quite special I've been trying to track down in good condition for some time :D
www.facebook.com/EmergencyRule
www.facebook.com/CaptainHellfireBand
I actually play the skinny strings in Captain Hellfire.... please don't kick me out of the club :peep:

tearalong

Post by tearalong » 19 Sep 2016, 13:44

bloodmason wrote:Hey all, does anyone know if shipito will repack into a smaller box with only the basic individual package account?

I've used them numerous times before but this time round the eBay seller has packed my purchase into an exceedingly large box, which with shipito calculations is gonna be >$270US to ship vs ~$150US for the last bass I had sent over here, which was both a larger bass/case & heavier!

I'm hoping I can get shipito to pack this into a smaller box for me. I think for the $120 it will save it is worth whatever fee they may charge. Anyone else done this before?

Oh.... and prepare for a NBD.... something quite special I've been trying to track down in good condition for some time :D
I think they will - they have a "Special request fee $5" that covers many things. They do have an online chat box on the web page if you catch them during their opening hours.
MTD Heir 4 Lefty with Nordstrand and Bartolini pickups,Genz Benz Shuttlemax or Magellan 800 , Zoom B3 and a Roland GR-55 into Schroeder or Bergantino cabs