International shipping tips, advice n stuff

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
madmaskbass

Re: International shipping tips, advice n stuff

Post by madmaskbass » 11 Sep 2017, 12:57

Hey guys I am wondering if anyone has any advice from purchasing an instrument from Europe (Paris) and who to use to get it here? It is in a hard case and it is rare and expensive..stressful times ahead lol?? Any help greatly appreciated!

Ox Boris

Post by Ox Boris » 11 Sep 2017, 13:43

I'd probably sink some cash into either constructing a sturdy wooden crate around it (cheaper but dead money on one-shot item), or buying a proper roadcase to ship it in (more expensive, but reusable). Once you've done that, any reputable courier would be fine. Insure it, too.

GeoKinetic

Post by GeoKinetic » 14 Oct 2017, 11:02

I have a question about the tax threshold and conversion rates. If i buy an Instrument valued at 750 USD, my bank conversion fee and the conversion rate would make it 996 AUD, without the fee it would be around 950. When it arrives here, I'm guessing customs will only convert it using the raw conversion rate, and say it's 750? I'm worried because if (somehow) they took into account the fee, and the dollar weakened slightly between the time I bought it and the time it got here the value would go over 1000 including the fee. Would it be correct to say that as long as the price is listed as 750 USD on the invoice I should be fine?

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 14 Oct 2017, 14:12

They calculate it using some exchange rate when it enters the country. You would be able to argue showing what you actually paid coming in under $1000 AUD including shipping, but I don't think it's guaranteed if their sums come in over $1k. Not sure what exchange rate they would use though sorry. PayPal makes this very easy to demonstrate in a single transaction.
B: Fender Mustangs, Narcdor Precision, Lindsey Precision, Nash Jazz, Framus Star Bass, EBMM Stingray
A: O'Neill B15 copy, Mesa Walkabout, Ampeg Repro 15, Fender Neo 15
FX: TC Electronic clip on tuner and lotsa fuzz

kat888

Post by kat888 » 25 Oct 2017, 05:24

They calculate the value based on the invoice amount *plus* post and packaging. Whatever you paid for it on the day, transfer fees etc are irrelevant.
Thunderbirds are GO

Cataldo NR41 KatBird, Epiphone ThunderKat II
Diamond BCP-1 Compressor, TCE Vortex Flanger
Traynor YBA200 + Ampeg SVT212AV

veebass

Post by veebass » 25 Oct 2017, 06:12

The calculation of whether the $AU 1,000 threshold comes into play uses the invoice value of the item converted to $AU using the official exchange rate on the day the item left the country of export when I have imported things in the past, My understanding is that shipping was NOT included in the assessment of whether the threshold comes into play.
However, If it goes over the $AU1K threshold shipping etc then gets added in to calculate the amount of GST and duty (if applicable).

That was a couple of years ago, so not sure if it is still the same.

Movement in the official exchange rate between when you buy an item and when it leaves the exporting country could affect if it takes the value in $AU (as described above) over or under the threshold.
Last edited by veebass on 25 Oct 2017, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

veebass

Post by veebass » 25 Oct 2017, 06:16

Duplicate.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

Razor

Post by Razor » 29 Oct 2017, 15:27

veebass wrote:
25 Oct 2017, 06:12
My understanding is that shipping was NOT included in the assessment of whether the threshold comes into play.
However, If it goes over the $AU1K threshold shipping etc then gets added in to calculate the amount of GST and duty (if applicable).

That was a couple of years ago, so not sure if it is still the same.
It's still the same. I bought a bass recently from o/s that was $960 AUD, but all up with the shipping it was about $1150 AUD. I didn't have to pay any GST or duty.
Basses - Fender|Music Man|Warwick|Spector|Cort
Amp - Hartke|SWR|Gallien Krueger