Help Please - how to sell antique double bass

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
Kylie

Help Please - how to sell antique double bass

Post by Kylie » 08 Jun 2018, 18:38

Hi Bass Players,

My husband passed away, and I still have his double bass and am seeking advice on how to sell her.

She is a German Trade flatback double bass, from the latter part of the 1800s.

She was serviced and had a fingerboard replaced at Puglisi's in Hawthorn. I enquired there, however, they no longer take basses on consignment.

If you have any suggestions/recommendations on how to go about selling this instrument, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Kylie

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Help Please - how to sell antique double bass

Post by Phil » 08 Jun 2018, 22:44

Hi Kylie, my condoleances for your loss. Sale ads are usually reserved for Supporting Members which comes with a donation to the forum but under your circumstances we'll make an exception. You can go ahead and discuss the subject and try to sell it on this thread.

basshack

Post by basshack » 08 Jun 2018, 23:12

Hello Kylie,

My condolences also, I have a couple of suggestions; did you ask Benedict to give you an indication of what he thinks it’s worth, that’ll help you get fair value for it here or eBay etc. Failing that maybe Guy at The Basscenter in Sth Melbourne might be able to take it on consignment or at least help with pricing. Finally there are double bass players here that maybe able to look it over and assist.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

pjm

Post by pjm » 09 Jun 2018, 07:23

Bows for Strings in Glen Waverley take basses on consignment, I'm sure they'd value it also. I'd love to buy it but 10k + is way out of my price range. What style music did he play?
Less is more

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 09 Jun 2018, 21:35

Not to be captain obvious, but the big challenge is specialized instruments and a small population. Depending on the instrument, you might have some interest from interstate or overseas.

Ken Smith in the USA has a website and keen interest in lots of upright basses...
http://www.smithbassforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Talkbass in the USA also has a doublebass forum...
https://www.talkbass.com/categories/double-bass.245/

Those places might help you gain an interest from overseas. I know it's a long shot, but you might also get a local who is on that forum. Another place to put up an add is a conservatorium or serious music academy. When I was at the Sydney Con, there were always ads up for instruments on notice boards. Beyond that, I wouldn't discount Gumtree.

I think it would also be worth trying these guys in Sydney. They may know of someone looking for what you have.
http://www.thebassshop.com/
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

packrat

Post by packrat » 09 Jun 2018, 22:21

If you do get an valuation from somewhere, please bring that back to this thread. There could easily be some interest from ozbass.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 10 Jun 2018, 14:09

Deepest condolences Kylie, plenty of good dvice on this forum,

Great gesture Phil, another reason why we love your site mate :)

GLWTS (good luck with the sale)
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

onehandclapping

Post by onehandclapping » 10 Jun 2018, 16:41

Hi Kylie,
I am in the age bracket where I have had to make arrangements re my instruments.
I would never consign,ie NEVER.
Just do a little research,few phone calls etc,and come up with a price you are happy with,list it on Gumtree ,here and anywhere else to get it out there and see if you get any enquirers or feedback.
Knowledge is power ,any genuine buyers will give you some feedback re price condition etc this will be a great help to you.
Good luck ,you ladies are very resilient ,take care,
Terry
62 white jazz,slab board.
63 fiesta red jazz bass,matching h'stock
64 jazz sburst
Dale Fortune 1964 Rick 1999/4001s
60 cs journeyman jazz
Trace Elliot V4 x 2 all valve heads, 412L Schroeder cab,TC rh450,Schroeder 1212Lcab

Kylie

Post by Kylie » 10 Jun 2018, 21:18

Hi,

Thanks so much for the advice and suggestions.
And especially to you Phil - that's very sweet of you.

The bass was valued in 2008 at $12.5K. That was prior to replacing the fingerboard. I guess I should get it valued again.

I did reach out to someone overseas. Whilst the bass is not a cheapy, it's not in the 80-100K bracket and they felt it wasn't worth shipping overseas.

pjm - he studied contemporary music - mostly played double bass with folk artists. Occasionally jazz. Electric bass in rock bands. I think he thought of his bass as a jazz bass.

Kylie

Kylie

Post by Kylie » 25 Jun 2018, 21:38

Hi Terry,
Curious if you can explain why you would never consign an instrument?
Thanks
Kylie

onehandclapping

Post by onehandclapping » 27 Jun 2018, 08:29

Hi Kylie,
If the music shop fails you have to deal with liquidators to try to get your instrument back,if it gets damaged you will end up wearing the cost.I worked in a music shop for many years,once the whole stand fell of the wall with all the guitars on it ,mine had a nice dent in it.Another time and old Vox amp got damaged in transit and a very well known high end shop in Sydney at the time tried very hard to make me responsible,fortunately I ticked more boxes on the con note and It worked out for me.The sales guys will try to sell shop stock first,you do not know what the final sales price is,ie you will not know what percentage they have really helped them selves to.I have explained to my wife how to liquidate my instruments,in your case I would put in on Gumtree,EBay ,at the Con etc making you phone number easily available.If you sell it yourself you are able to sell it a little cheaper as no commission is involved.Hope this gives you a little insight and good luck with your sale
62 white jazz,slab board.
63 fiesta red jazz bass,matching h'stock
64 jazz sburst
Dale Fortune 1964 Rick 1999/4001s
60 cs journeyman jazz
Trace Elliot V4 x 2 all valve heads, 412L Schroeder cab,TC rh450,Schroeder 1212Lcab

basshack

Post by basshack » 27 Jun 2018, 11:19

There are exceptions to everything, I've had some good experiences with consignments but heard the horror stories too. But for me it comes down to whether I want to pay someone else to do the advertising for me and whether they might have a better reach into the market to get what I want. A consigner is a business, it has to sit on their shop floor and on their web site so you will pay for that. They want to make profit to so you'll be paying them that % in the deal.

You say your bass is work $12K a few years back; I'd think that ~$9K is what you'd be offered to consign it. If you are not happy with $9K then take a bunch of pictures, put it up on Ebay, join up here and advertise, put it on Gumtree etc. Put $12K on it and expect some tyre kickers to come at you with lower prices but be strong. Set a reserve at ~$10K and you've done better than consigning. If it doesn't owe you anything then anything is a win but a bit of work on your part helps set you up a bit better. Is there someone who can help you with advertising it? Just wondering because my folks wouldn't know how to deal with Ebay etc.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

vin-tone

Post by vin-tone » 27 Jun 2018, 11:36

^^ Agree. I would think that most violin shops dealing with $10k+ instruments would be treating it with the care it needs. $12k still only puts your bass in the middle of the rack in Puglisi's. Did Ben (at Puglisi) recommend anywhere else?

The problem with selling it yourself is that the market for such an expensive instrument is quite small so will take a while for the right buyer to come along. You will get more in a private sale but you'll have to work for it.
Warwick SS2, Fender 63AVRI, Eberhard Meinel Upright > Markbass & AI Coda

pjm

Post by pjm » 27 Jun 2018, 12:23

Less is more

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 29 Jun 2018, 19:52

Lovely instrument. :)
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/