Short scale bass ideas?

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
PilbaraBass

Re: Short scale bass ideas?

Post by PilbaraBass » 15 May 2018, 13:45

Short-scale Gibby EB or the old Ibanez copy of said bass...
fun FUN bass to play...

or ... if you like P's, yes go with a mustang
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Andrew92

Post by Andrew92 » 23 May 2018, 09:39

Warwick Rockbass Short scale - i have drop tuned one to C# with 50-110 strings and it growled like a dog and was super effortless to play.

message the bassist from the Australian Band Deadspace, she has a custom Short Scale thumb bass and has heaps of experience with them.
https://www.facebook.com/anavarbandofficial
"Anabolic Australian Deathcore"
- Warwick Thumb Nt 5, Markbass TTE500/Rocker 500, Markbass Ninja 212, Darkglass, DR strings, Empress Comp | DSM Noisemaker Artist |

FahnCahn

Post by FahnCahn » 23 May 2018, 14:47

Hey Phil, I've got a 32 inch jazz that's a lot of fun to play. You're welcome to try it out If we can work out a way to get it to you... unless you're coming out to Bairnsdale in the near future.
BB1024X | BB424X | TRB4 | US Jazz | MIJ Jazz | Jazz V | Cort fretless | Cort P
DB751 | Fender Neo | Tecamp | Genz Benz

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 23 May 2018, 15:24

I tried the Reverend Wattplower in a store. Seemed good to me. Something different.

https://www.reverendguitars.com/basses/ ... wattplower

And there is this too

https://www.reverendguitars.com/basses/dub-king
Fender '78 Precision, Squier CV Jazz, Maton JBIV, Ibanez SR405, G&L Tribute SB2, Ashbory and Markbass CMD121P, Fender Rumble V# 12" cab, GK 400RB, No-name 4x10 cab
funKtus, Samurai Trash, Exploding Happiness, Night Radio (no longer).

irvinz

Post by irvinz » 24 May 2018, 13:49

those dub kings are fun!

sharpman

Post by sharpman » 25 May 2018, 13:56

I dont have a lot to add to this conversation but the fact when i bought a medium scale I couldn't get along with it even though i was sure I would. I think borrowing one, or maybe buying a cheaper 1 maybe best way. In saying that if you buy a second rate instrument on the cheap maybe it will ruin the experience for the wrong reasons.
~Labsystems 400b-Labsystems 610HP-EBMM Stingray-Darkglass B7K

packrat

Post by packrat » 25 May 2018, 15:10

I have a recent mustang PJ as a novelty short-scale. There's an ibanez mikro in the house, but it's not mine. They're okay, but as I'm starting to go super long scale with dingwalls, they are mostly a novelty.

acmeman

Post by acmeman » 01 Jun 2018, 17:32

Hi guys,

I'll weight in, not that much more can be said. I started on a short scale bass back in the 70's and then played a Fender VI (See the first 2 Reels albums), such a shitty bass, lol. Later I progressed to long scale and now also play upright.

Most of the shorter basses, as well as being cheaper don't have as much attention to the woods as their bigger brothers.
Does this make a difference? To me it did, eventually. I owned and loved playing a cheap korean Michael Tobias bass, I know it's not a short scale bass but it plays very very easily and is super light, basswood body, easy neck to play and weighed less than 4 Kilo. It sounded a little mid-rangey, as basswood does so I put a Nord P in above the single humbucker. Sounded nice, still lacked a solid bottom end an ash or alder body gives you.

I built or put together a medium scale bass (see my avatar), Ash short scale body, Wenge medium scale neck, and some jazz buckers. Super light to carry and sounds pretty good... different. My preferred bass sound is single coil pickups. I also own an Eastwood Classic 4 feels a little like it's in between long and medium scale though I know it's long.

I think the Squier basses are basswood we all know the Gibson EB's are Mahogony and are a lot of fun to play. Jack Bruce went from upright to the EB1 ? and developed a bass/lead kind of style which suits the bass.

Alembic use some exotic woods in their basses and do make short scale (very expensive).

One thing for sure, cheaper basses are basswood or a compressed wood.

That being said, it's really hard to get what you want in a short or medium scale bass that's not custom built.

I would try and get a second hand Fender Mustang (Alder Body) and route in some Fender P bass pickups, that will get you really close to a long scale sound. Taking into consideration the body is not only smaller with less mass but the strings vibrate at a shorter length which all contributes to the sound.

Or go Early Jack Bruce. Get a Gibson or Aria/Ibanez EB3 copy or Warwick Jack Bruce Survivor Bass...(I would love one of those) and rock out brother.
Custom Medium Scale Jazz, Eastwood Classic4, Ply Upright, Genz Benz Amp

FahnCahn

Post by FahnCahn » 01 Jun 2018, 18:15

I've been interested in these Scott Whitley short scales for a while Phil
Might be worth a look
BB1024X | BB424X | TRB4 | US Jazz | MIJ Jazz | Jazz V | Cort fretless | Cort P
DB751 | Fender Neo | Tecamp | Genz Benz

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 03 Jun 2018, 19:57

acmeman wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 17:32
Hi guys,

I'll weight in, not that much more can be said. I started on a short scale bass back in the 70's and then played a Fender VI (See the first 2 Reels albums), such a shitty bass, lol. Later I progressed to long scale and now also play upright.

Most of the shorter basses, as well as being cheaper don't have as much attention to the woods as their bigger brothers.
Does this make a difference?
I reckon your observation about a lot of SCBs being cheaply made in the past is a good one. The great thing is now you get good replacement parts of a lot of those basses. Good pickups, tuners and strings. Those 3 things will make a huge difference to a cheap, tinny sounding instrument straight off. They also save you spending (literally) thousands on imported timbers/custom instruments. ;)

Other thing being, you really have to play SCBs a little differently. They work best with a lighter touch, rather than being wailed on like a long scale bass. Which is nice as we get old and soft... :/
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 04 Jun 2018, 09:03

Another vote for the Mustang; good way to get into Short scales while still having a reasonably familiar tone & feel. Personally I love hollowbody Shorts with flatwounds (Jerry Jones, Hofner, Dano, ect), but if you've mainly been playing conventional solid Basses it'll be a fair departure from what you're used to.

Depending on what sort of stuff you play, have you thought of trying a Rickenbacker 4003? The body shape makes them look like the neck is a mile long, yet it's an unusual scale length at somewhere around 33"; smack bang between medium & long scales. That inch less possibly might make the difference you need.
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass