Blind test: MusicMan StingRay 2004 vs Cort GB75JH

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
narcdor

Re: Blind test: MusicMan StingRay 2004 vs Cort GB75JH

Post by narcdor » 22 Jan 2018, 19:48

Roll in a touch of the Jazz and you'd get that missing phatness from the ray. I think this is why I like Sandbergs with an MM and P setup to roll in that tub. Not bad Cort!
'65 Fender Mustang, '15 Narcdor Precision, '64 Framus Star Bass, Stingray Classic, '14 Streamer NT1
Mesa Walkbout, MarkBass Classic 300, Fender Bassman Neo 115

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 22 Jan 2018, 19:49

Cort are making some pretty decent basses. I haven't posted this on NBD yet.....but I did purchase a brand new Cort recently (not this model though). It was an absolute bargain IMO and a very unique and versatile bass.
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 22 Jan 2018, 19:53

I wonder why others can't nail the Stingray tone? All I can think, is that they don't understand what makes it sound the way it does. The pickup is unique and being wired in parallel; has a very low output. Without the preamp, it sounds pretty anaemic. The MM 'sweet spot' is essential. Anywhere else can sound great, but won't sound like a 'ray.

Not that it's any different with other basses. A Jazz pickup can never sound exactly like a Precision, due to the coil being taller and narrower. You can get a P pickup to sound close to a J, but would need deeper covers to do it properly.

If you get the SR pickup position and preamp right, the rest is basically like any other bolt on neck fender.

On the preamp debate, I've had a 2 band in my Ray for a few months and overall, liked it better than the 3 band. Been planning to modify the 3 band, so finally put it back in last week. After changing a few cap values, it's lost the bright clang/sizzle might sound better than the 2 band now.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 22 Jan 2018, 19:56

sharpman wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 19:25
Do Cort offer a 4 string version Pete that does the same sound? After hearing this, I'm tempted if there is a 4 available
Yep, the GB74JH.

http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/p ... =&idx=1181

I'm not sure if they're in Aust yet.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 22 Jan 2018, 21:45

Classic5 wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 19:49
Cort are making some pretty decent basses. I haven't posted this on NBD yet.....but I did purchase a brand new Cort recently (not this model though). It was an absolute bargain IMO and a very unique and versatile bass.
Cort have always made decent basses. The best production line ABG you can buy in Aust is a cort. They've made some fantastic neck-through 5 and 6 strings too. For some reason they've got the "scummy asian cheapo" reputation in the marketplace for some time. Despite the fact that lots of Korean and Indonesian guitars with more desirable names (on the headstock) were actually made in cort factories. Think Ibanez for instance. Someone in the industry told me lots of Asian fenders were made by Cort too. ;)
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 22 Jan 2018, 21:55

Petebass wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 09:57
Damn you guys are good. Over on TB, this went on for 9 pages with votes split very evenly. Then a flame war erupted over Stingray 2 Vs 3Band eq :)
P.s. here's one with a 2 band. :D

http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/p ... d=&idx=178

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 22 Jan 2018, 22:03

slowlearner wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 21:45
Classic5 wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 19:49
Cort have always made decent basses. The best production line ABG you can buy in Aust is a cort. They've made some fantastic neck-through 5 and 6 strings too. For some reason they've got the "scummy asian cheapo" reputation in the marketplace for some time. Despite the fact that lots of Korean and Indonesian guitars with more desirable names (on the headstock) were actually made in cort factories. Think Ibanez for instance. Someone in the industry told me lots of Asian fenders were made by Cort too. ;)
I've heard that too. I think Cort make the Korean Epiphones. It was of course the same with the Japanese factories. There were 4-5 main ones that made made all the instruments. Ibanez for example, never had a factory. Everything was outsourced to others. A luthier mate told me many years ago, that it wasn't uncommon to have more than one factory making the same model too. We were talking about the differences between the maple and rosewood necked, Profile Strats.

Actually Vox did the same thing in the '60s. They used a few different builders for both the cabs and the electronics.

This of course raises one of my pet peeves, which is that 2 things coming from the same factory aren't automatically equal. You regularly hear people say "It's made in the same factory as x", as if that means they're just as good. It'd be like saying a Ford Focus is as good as a Falcon, because they were made in the same factory (no idea if they actually were).
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.

sharpman

Post by sharpman » 23 Jan 2018, 01:12

Petebass wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 19:56
sharpman wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 19:25
Do Cort offer a 4 string version Pete that does the same sound? After hearing this, I'm tempted if there is a 4 available
Yep, the GB74JH.

http://www.cortguitars.com/en/product/p ... =&idx=1181

I'm not sure if they're in Aust yet.

That looks great, I want 1
~Labsystems 400b-Labsystems 610HP-EBMM Stingray-Darkglass B7K

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 23 Jan 2018, 03:06

narcdor wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 19:48
Roll in a touch of the Jazz and you'd get that missing phatness from the ray. I think this is why I like Sandbergs with an MM and P setup to roll in that tub. Not bad Cort!
Your tapping into what makes my P-Ray so darn good. Each pickup sounds great on it's own, PLUS I can get all sorts of tone variations with the pickup blend knob. I'm loving the 75/25 split in particular. I.e 75 percent H, 25 percent P makes the H sound fuller. 75 percent P and 25 percent H makes the P sound a bit snappier.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 23 Jan 2018, 06:50

aphekgreg wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 22:03
This of course raises one of my pet peeves, which is that 2 things coming from the same factory aren't automatically equal. You regularly hear people say "It's made in the same factory as x", as if that means they're just as good. It'd be like saying a Ford Focus is as good as a Falcon, because they were made in the same factory (no idea if they actually were).
Funny that you should compare those two cars. I'm pretty sure both could be equally rubbish. :lol: But no, they weren't made in the same factory.

That said, it's all about quality control. Any facility has a basic level of it. I guess what we're reflecting on is Cort facilities having a higher basic QC level than a lot of other places.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 23 Jan 2018, 09:07

slowlearner wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 06:50
aphekgreg wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 22:03
Funny that you should compare those two cars. I'm pretty sure both could be equally rubbish. :lol: But no, they weren't made in the same factory.

That said, it's all about quality control. Any facility has a basic level of it. I guess what we're reflecting on is Cort facilities having a higher basic QC level than a lot of other places.
We loved our '98 Falcon. My brother-in-law still drives it and it runs perfectly..... Maybe ours was the exception? :shrug: On the other hand, I didn't like my Ford Laser wagon, which was fully imported from the Mazda factory in Japan.

Anyway, I assume you get the point - that the same factory can make similar things at different price points, with different quality components and it doesn't make them equal.

Samick are another Korean manufacturer, who I believe make a lot of instruments for the 'big name' brands.
Greg

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 23 Jan 2018, 09:57

Not much difference between the two tonally...
The first one was a bit more "hi-fi" or clearer than the 2nd (less low mids?)... but only splitting hairs.

Because I lean personally towards a sound like #1 and because I think that the 'ray should be the "better sounding" instrument... I'll pick #1 as the 'ray ...

But I usually don't go well in these type of experiments... I'll say I have a 50% chance of being correct :lol:

Edit: I read through the thread... and I'm wrong ... BUT, I'm wrong for the right reasons...
I analysed the tone correctly, but didn't place it with the instrument...

Gimme one of those corts now... thanks :D
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

veebass

Post by veebass » 23 Jan 2018, 11:10

PilbaraBass wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 09:57
The first one was a bit more "hi-fi" or clearer than the 2nd (less low mids?)... but only splitting hairs.

Because I lean personally towards a sound like #1 and because I think that the 'ray should be the "better sounding" instrument... I'll pick #1 as the 'ray ...

But I usually don't go well in these type of experiments... I'll say I have a 50% chance of being correct :lol:

Edit: I read through the thread... and I'm wrong ... BUT, I'm wrong for the right reasons...

I am with you, Kerry. I couldn't hear a lot of difference.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 23 Jan 2018, 11:55

veebass wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 11:10
PilbaraBass wrote:
23 Jan 2018, 09:57

I am with you, Kerry. I couldn't hear a lot of difference.
There wasn't a lot of difference, which I assume is why it was a challenge. If one was miles better or completely different sounding than the other, it would have been too easy!
Greg

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 23 Jan 2018, 12:54

When I heard this on the other forum, I preferred #1 but recognised #2 as a StingRay. I recognised that district StingRay aggression and 'uncompressed" signal peaks.

Years ago I did a shootout between my Tobias bass and a friends' StingRay. I learned the settings & technique needed to make it sound like the SR.
Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer