NBD: Yamaha PB400RA - 1985 P-Bass Copy.

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
blizzard

NBD: Yamaha PB400RA - 1985 P-Bass Copy.

Post by blizzard » 21 Jan 2018, 18:37

My Christmas bass arrived - a Yamaha PB400RA. There doesn't seem to be much info on these online but basically this is a 1985 Japanese Yamaha P-bass copy. It has a Sen-Ash body, Maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard and Yamaha electronics. For a twist the neck is also painted.

I bought this online for a good price, I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I had played a couple Yamaha BB basses from the same era and they were great so I took the plunge. When it arrived it played well and sounds great it has quite an agressive tone, not quite as honky sounding as some PBasses I have played - I did read someone compare the pickup to a SD Quarter Pounder. The bass itself is very resonant acoustically and has nice a played in feel. The neck is the same width at the nut as Pbass but not a thick.

Unfortunately the nut was cut a bit high (which surprised me seeing its a 33 year old bass). So a quick visit to a luthier to for a proper setup (primarily due to the nut issue), also while he was at it he re-crowned some of the frets and modified the pickguard so it doesn't have to be removed to access the truss rod. Now it plays even better.

Overall I am really happy with this bass, definitely seems that Yamaha basses are underrated compared with Tokai's and Grecos of the era - also these go for a few hundred dollars less.

cleary

Re: NBD: Yamaha PB400RA - 1985 P-Bass Copy.

Post by cleary » 22 Jan 2018, 09:05

That looks the business - thanks for the review, hadn't heard anything about them
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 22 Jan 2018, 11:08

cleary wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 09:05
That looks the business - thanks for the review, hadn't heard anything about them
Me neither, from what I gather in the same years they also made PB400 basses which were exact same specs without the painted neck. These models seem more common.

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 22 Jan 2018, 12:16

How's that painted neck feel? I had to move on a BB with painted neck which otherwise sounded fantastic. I thought about sandpaper for a minute before accepting I'd probably just ruin a very nice instrument.
'65 Fender Mustang, '15 Narcdor Precision, '64 Framus Star Bass, Stingray Classic, '14 Streamer NT1
Mesa Walkbout, MarkBass Classic 300, Fender Bassman Neo 115

hamo

Post by hamo » 22 Jan 2018, 12:55

blizzard wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 18:37
My Christmas bass arrived - a Yamaha PB400RA. There doesn't seem to be much info on these online but basically this is a 1985 Japanese Yamaha P-bass copy. It has a Sen-Ash body, Maple neck, Rosewood fingerboard and Yamaha electronics. For a twist the neck is also painted.

I bought this online for a good price, I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I had played a couple Yamaha BB basses from the same era and they were great so I took the plunge. When it arrived it played well and sounds great it has quite an agressive tone, not quite as honky sounding as some PBasses I have played - I did read someone compare the pickup to a SD Quarter Pounder. The bass itself is very resonant acoustically and has nice a played in feel. The neck is the same width at the nut as Pbass but not a thick.

Unfortunately the nut was cut a bit high (which surprised me seeing its a 33 year old bass). So a quick visit to a luthier to for a proper setup (primarily due to the nut issue), also while he was at it he re-crowned some of the frets and modified the pickguard so it doesn't have to be removed to access the truss rod. Now it plays even better.

Overall I am really happy with this bass, definitely seems that Yamaha basses are underrated compared with Tokai's and Grecos of the era - also these go for a few hundred dollars less.

Nice score! I've seen a few of these around but never played one.
Sadowsky MV4-HPJ | Fender AVRI 58 Precision (FOR SALE) | Lakland USA Duck Dunn #13 | Genz Benz STM900 | Berg AE212 | Eden XLT210 | Aguilar TLC Compressor | Aguilar Octamiser | Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Envelope Filter

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 22 Jan 2018, 13:02

If the gloss neck is an issue because of stickyness, some Mr Sheen is an effective option, as is giving it a rub with a plastic dishwashing scourer

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

blizzard

Post by blizzard » 22 Jan 2018, 17:21

narcdor wrote:
22 Jan 2018, 12:16
How's that painted neck feel? I had to move on a BB with painted neck which otherwise sounded fantastic. I thought about sandpaper for a minute before accepting I'd probably just ruin a very nice instrument.
So far I haven't had an issue with the neck, feels like a clear finished gloss neck. I may try Mark's suggestion if I do get have a problem.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 22 Jan 2018, 21:48

I remember looking through the glossy Yamaha catalog in the 80s and seeing these. Really solid basses and MIJ. I bet it plays really nice.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/