Electric Upright String Options

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
Paisley

Electric Upright String Options

Post by Paisley » 16 Jan 2018, 09:18

My Ergo 5 String EUB is up for restringing; I’m trying to gather as much info about String options as possible before lashing out on a new set (not a cheap exercise!). I’m not sure what the current strings on it are (purple wrap with black ball ends if anyone knows?), but I actually wouldn’t mind something with a bit more tension.

The Ergo is a similar Instrument to the NS Uprights, so that’s the type of Strings it’ll be using. There’s a few different options within that range; particularly with traditional vs contemporary sets. Just wondering if anyone here has had experience with different sets & could offer a rough comparison?
I don’t mind the Strings on there now, although like I said a bit more tension & a touch more thump wouldn’t go astray; however I don’t want them with a massive attack & bugger all sustain, which I suspect the traditionals might be.
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

pjm

Re: Electric Upright String Options

Post by pjm » 16 Jan 2018, 09:43

Less is more

david1234

Post by david1234 » 16 Jan 2018, 10:40

Note that the NS can take two different string lengths: the modern ones are short and finish on the front of the body just past the bridge, but to take full double bass strings, the NS bass wraps the excess length (which normally would sit between a DB's bridge and its tailpiece) around the bottom of the bass body. So if you go with NS strings, check that they'll be long enough for your Ergo first.
:yep
O===
/ \

Endorsing artist: Warwick basses, Fender/SWR.

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 14 Feb 2018, 10:25

Bumping an old thread here, as I've finally established that the Ergo is a bit unique when it comes to Strings; the NS ones will definitely be too short, however the normal 3/4 are a tad long! 8/
Thinking about trying some 1/2 size ones & seeing how that goes (although the trial & error method could get very expensive very quick with DB Strings!).
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

Heath

Post by Heath » 14 Feb 2018, 22:21

I remember my ergo had d'addario helicore hybrids on it, i quite liked them

I did find somewhere about restringing the ergo with db strings you had to peel back some of the windings to make it go around the tuning post then using a soldering iron and some solder to essentially reweld the string to stop it from unwinding
Yamaha BBNE2+425x, Warwick Corvette5, Fender CS 57P, Musicman Sabre, Sandberg Ida
Amps: Markbass, Epifani, Tc, Bergantino

http://cruzersnewcastle.wixsite.com/rock-band