Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

aphekgreg

Re: Betsy, the Fried Egg Bass

Post by aphekgreg » 19 Dec 2017, 19:58

BassLine wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 19:40
45 holes in the back of the headstock..... :cry
And now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall......
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 19 Dec 2017, 21:33

What are the frets like ? I wonder if the binding is flexible enough to be stretched that one fret distance. I know Piers got more than a frets worth of distance on my old jazz bass. He had to remove the binding for the refret.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 20 Dec 2017, 07:08

NotTheFish wrote:
19 Dec 2017, 21:33
What are the frets like ? I wonder if the binding is flexible enough to be stretched that one fret distance. I know Piers got more than a frets worth of distance on my old jazz bass. He had to remove the binding for the refret.
No idea. I'll send a shot to the guy who refretted my Musician and see what he says about it. The owner agrees it's a good idea.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 20 Dec 2017, 16:39

I'm told fixing the binding can be done, by patching a new piece in.

The new body was due by the "By end of day" yesterday....... and then "By end of day" today. Not sure either of those are totally accurate UPS.....

I gave the neck a bit of a clean. Hopefully I haven't taken off too much mojo.

I recently watched a bit of a Culture Club concert from last year and noticed that the bassplayer was using a 5 string Fender Jazz, with the plastic still on the machine heads! No idea what was going on there?

The original screw holes lined up perfectly for the D & G tuners, but not for the E & A. 3/4 were right for one and 2/4 for the other. I assume that's an example of the slipping standards on '70s Fenders.
Greg

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 21 Dec 2017, 12:40

I guess I'll need to change the title of this thread soon. No longer going to be the Fried Egg bass.

There's the Hipshot version of a Badass, the control plate, knobs, pots and a '70s style Fender neckplate, ready to go. The only thing it needs now, is a set of pickups.

Greg

cleary

Post by cleary » 21 Dec 2017, 13:31

I've got to ask, what have you actually managed to salvage from the original poultry prototype - is just the unloaded neck?
GRay Bass Tuition :: Griffith NSW

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 21 Dec 2017, 13:34

cleary wrote:
21 Dec 2017, 13:31
I've got to ask, what have you actually managed to salvage from the original poultry prototype - is just the unloaded neck?
Yes. Just the neck. The strap locks could be used too........ The Dimarzio Model P is fine, but I'm making a new set.
Greg

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 22 Dec 2017, 13:29

Had time to do some more work today.

The body was from the Warmoth 'In Stock' section, so was routed for two Jazz pickups. (Assuming Warmoth have it right) it's interesting seeing exactly where a P and J pickup sit along the body. The P coil closest to the neck, is much closer to the J position than I realised.

Much easier shielding a body with nothing else on it.

Getting this and the strap buttons right are the hardest bits for me. I've learned from experience, to put on the neck and pickups, to make sure the pickguard/control plate are exactly right. Very easy to slip and be slightly out otherwise.

I thought a genuine Fender '70s style neck plate would be a nice touch.
Greg

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 22 Dec 2017, 22:17

^

"Add a bit of value?"
"Hard to say..."
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 22 Dec 2017, 22:26

slowlearner wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 22:17
^

"Add a bit of value?"
"Hard to say..."
The bass is infinitely more valuable now (or soon will be), as it will be a great bass, rather than an OK one. That is the aim of this process. What it's worth to sell, isn't a consideration.
Greg

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 23 Dec 2017, 08:48

Yeah, I know. Just made me laugh and remember that scene. ;)
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 30 Dec 2017, 19:31

I believe Betsy is complete, other than the binding getting fixed in the new year. Sounds great (even if I say so myself).

I used a Hipshot Kick Ass bridge. I'm a fan of the old Badass bridge and the owner of this bass, really likes my Sparkle P, which has a Badass.

Not that similar really! Completely different materials and other than looking a little similar, is quite a different design. One thing that has frequently annoyed me about Hipshot bridges (other than the vintage style models), is that the saddles are blocked; so the intonation screw can't go all the way through. I've had to swap screws between bridges, to get the E string far enough back to intonate properly or to get the G saddle close enough to the neck.

One of the great things about the Badass design, is the massive distance the saddle can move; so intonation is never an issue. I was expecting that with this one, but no. Standard Hipshot design, where the screw can't go all the way through the saddle. The one good thing they do with this, is provide a pair of shorter screws, which were needed.

The saddles are brass insets, with a screw to release them, so you can move them side to side to adjust spacing. This works well. In the instructions, they say you can buy steel saddles for a brighter tone or make your own out of bone or wood (or anything else).

So still a good bridge, but not a Badass clone.
Greg

veebass

Post by veebass » 31 Dec 2017, 08:34

Very nice Greg.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

drbass

Post by drbass » 31 Dec 2017, 13:20

aphekgreg wrote:
22 Dec 2017, 13:29
Had time to do some more work today.

The body was from the Warmoth 'In Stock' section, so was routed for two Jazz pickups. (Assuming Warmoth have it right) it's interesting seeing exactly where a P and J pickup sit along the body. The P coil closest to the neck, is much closer to the J position than I realised.
Pretty sure Warmoth have it right - I did some research into pickup positions (d'uh, of course I would, and I'd better be doing it) and was just a little stunned wrt the pickup positions. Jazz neck and a reverse P, particularly when leaving the bass side where it's supposed to be and "flipping" the treble side, are basically in the same position.

What amazed me even more was the humbucker position. On a Sting it looks VERY close to the bridge but it's an optical illusion thanks to the massive bridge on a sting. In reality it's a lot further away.

Happy New Year, everyone - off to Murchison East to play a NYE gig at "The East".

Regards,
Michael
- Kermit 6 multi, Kermit Gaia 6 fretless, Kermit Rockmachine 5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3
- EBS OctaBass, Boss MS-3, Line6 G50